Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snow Blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jubol

MTD Snow Blowers
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 4:48 pm

How many of you folks out there with MTD snowblowers, have had problems, or no problems?

Let's count and see how :"Junky MTD" does !!, compared to Ariens great QC ! ! ! 

Fred            

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 19 - 28 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Re: MTD Snow Blowers
Reply #19   Jan 31, 2005 9:45 am
ChrisS wrote:
Most folks that buy a snowblower don't research the purchase, again you just have to take my word at this.  After they have a problem they are not going to come here and post their problems anyway, what's the use of that.

You deleted my previous reply to this comment, but I'm still interested in an answer.

Why is it that owners of Ariens snow blowers do come here and post there problems, but not of other snow blower makes?  I doubt Ariens owners are different than owners of other makes.  Which can only lead to the logical conclusion that Ariens are not as reliable as other makes.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #20   Jan 31, 2005 9:58 am
Not necessarily true.

You guys that come up these scenarios that end with "this can only mean............", blow me away.

Did it ever accure to you that the the people that buy the cheaper machines are more prone to be the type that just waltz into a store and buy something without spending time on the internet looking, shopping and comparing?

Likewise the type that come to the internet  and spend time looking, shopping and comparing are probably more concerned about the purchase they make?

I think it's very logical that this could be the case, not saying it is because I don't know for sure. But I can tell you this, the people that come to this forum asking about snowblowers hardly ever come asking about MTD's. It's mostly Toro, Sim's, Ariens and Murray's. Now, that does lead one to believe that what Chris stated to be truer than what you are suggesting.
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #21   Jan 31, 2005 10:11 am
Marshall wrote:
Did it ever accure to you that the the people that buy the cheaper machines are more prone to be the type that just waltz into a store and buy something without spending time on the internet looking, shopping and comparing?

Likewise the type that come to the internet  and spend time looking, shopping and comparing are probably more concerned about the purchase they make?    

Yes, this did occur to me.  But Ariens is not the only maker of premium machines.

I admit that due to price, Honda's are seldom mentioned here, but Honda's are about as premium as you get, yet I see zero posts from Honda's having problems (I mean newer Honda's, not 15 year old models). 

Toro's are comparible to Ariens pricing, and they sell more snow blowers than Ariens (admittedly Toro's numbers are boosted by their huge market share on the single-stage market), yet again, I see few Toro posting for relatively new machines.

Simplicity and Husqvarna seem to have a low market share, but I just can't find exact numbers on that, so I'm going buy number of dealers I can find and the lack of much Internet sites where people post about them.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #22   Jan 31, 2005 10:42 am
SnowRemover wrote:

I have nothing against anyone posting here, so the following is not a dig at the originator of the topic, but why is the topic "Boy, i wish there was some more snow..... :)" productive, and this one is not?

At least here I found out about some old MTD's and heard about their build quality.  Over on that topic, it was just people wishing for more snow.  I chose not to read that topic after the first two posts because it wasn't productive for me.  But for others, it could be a very productive use of their time. 

Everyone is different, so let the readers decide.  Damn - there's my libertarian side coming out again "Live and let live".

--SnowRemover "The King is dead, long live the King"

OK, that's it.  I've tried really hard to tolerate your pig-logic formed opinions, but now you've mis-represented ME.  And i will NOT tolerate it.  Why don't you ACTUALLY READ that thread, you'll see it's actually a highly detailed performance report , written specifically to detail (in a hopefully entertaining manner) the experiences I had using my snowblower during the last noreaster that we got.  Not only is it topically relevant, but there's a lesson or two to be learned in that thread for newbies and old hats alike.  READ -- THINK -- WRITE.  If you mis represent ME again, I WILL formally move to have you BANNED from the forum.  Spout all the sh!t you want based on your own garbage, but don't you DARE try to implicate other people, you 'nob.  BTW, there is also a refernce in my post in that thread to MTD snowblowers, and in the WTB archives i have made numerous posts detailing the failures of neighbors' mtd made machines last year(for half the winter, i was doing 3 drives with my "lowly" ariens, while the mtd's sat in pieces).  Fred, I thought better of you than to start a libelous thread like this.
This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by terrapin24h

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #23   Jan 31, 2005 10:49 am
Terrapin,

I thought I made it clear that while that topic didn't interest me, I also said "But for others, it could be a very productive use of their time."

I also stated this "is not a dig at the originator of the topic"

I apologize for not making myself clearer, but the point of my post was to make the point that the readers should decide what is productive and what is not.

Once again, my apologies,
--SnowRemover  

--Friedrich Nietzsche
Mang

Reply #24   Jan 31, 2005 11:05 am
When I first decided I wanted to buy a snow blower I had no idea what type of machine to consider, I just new that I wanted a good machine.

I'm a new home owner and I don't have any expeirience with buying ope at all.  I saw a machine at costco a yardman 10.5 horse. I like costco so I nearly bought it that day, but decided to do a little research first. So I came here and read post's like this, I wanted to learn about the problems people had with different brands and what brands seem to hold up well.   I did not go back to costco to buy the mtd, but I feel I made a good decision and I'm happy with what I bought.     just my .02

Mang

jubol

Reply #25   Feb 1, 2005 6:35 pm
  TP,

What is libelous about calling MTD blowers junk and Ariens having high quality QC????????????

Do you know what " Libel"  means in the legal world??

I resent your statement!!!! 

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #26   Feb 1, 2005 6:47 pm
I am not picking sides here.  That said,

Fred with all due respect this thread from the beginning had the potential to cause conflict.  Now that it has as the originator you need to deal with that.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #27   Feb 1, 2005 6:53 pm
Hey...

Seems like a snowball fight...

Hope no one gets hit in the eye !  

It's should be fun here !   

Remember  ?  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

jubol

Reply #28   Feb 1, 2005 6:57 pm
Chris S,

What are Forums for???

On this forum, if you can call it that, any more.

Ariens and Toro comments can say anything that goes, no matter what there problems are ,but dare not to bad mouth them! 

Mention MTD , Aiens and toro in the same sentance and a  "HOLY WAR ERRUPTS"!!!!!

My question to this forum, Is Ariens buying advertising time here??

Fred 

Replies: 19 - 28 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42