Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Gear Case Update

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Ariens Gear Case Update
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 9:20 am
Just an info update to Itzbinnice and others-

I have finally pulled both augers off and the gearcase apart on my "free" 1988 Ariens ST824.  Used the 2x4 method, heat, PB Blaster, and gear puller to free the augers. 

Upon inspecting the gearcase, I found that both the 5/16" groove pin that holds the bronze gear onto the auger shaft AND the 3/16" groove pin that holds a collar onto the worm shaft had sheared.  There is no noticeable damage to the gears or shaft. 

I am amazed that these pins sheared, and more amazed at no apparent damage.  I guess these are the second line of defense when the auger shear pins can't do their job (due to rust). 

I will be re-assembling this week.

Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

Ralph

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42