Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > what size pulleys

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
josjay

what size pulleys
Original Message   Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm
what size pulley should iput on 305cc engine there is a 51/2'' pulley on blower .it is a 36' cut blower for a lawn mower but i am modifying to go on atv .its a single stage so i want to get most power i can out of it.any help would be appreciated thanks..
Replies: 2 - 11 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
josjay

Re: what size pulleys
Reply #2   Mar 3, 2011 11:47 am
thanks for info so far i tried a 51/2 pulley on both engine and auger would only throw snow a few feet and bogged down stall engine easily this is a stage one blower no fan any help would be appreciated
jrtrebor

Reply #3   Mar 3, 2011 9:34 pm
Don't know whether this will be of any help without knowing more about what size engine you are driving your blower with. But standard sizes for pulleys on a lot of walk behind blowers are.
2 1/2 to 2 3/4" engine pulley and around a 9" pulley mounted on the impeller shaft.  But with a single stage it is probably different because you are just driving augers no impeller.  But having said that
the augers on tractor type single stage blowers spin much faster than the augers on a 2 stage blower.  The 5 1/2" pulley on the auger shaft may be about right???. But a 5 1/2" engine drive pulley sounds
a bit to large.  What type of setup are you using to drive the blower off the ATV?
bus708

Reply #4   Mar 3, 2011 9:37 pm
If you are bogging down you need a smaller engine pulley. 305 cc should give you good power. Try not feeding it to fast
This message was modified Mar 3, 2011 by bus708
josjay

Reply #5   Mar 5, 2011 6:40 am
tried a 4 inch pulley on engine today seemed better than 6 inch it seemed to blow snow not too bad but not throwing it very far maybe 4 or 5 feet.should i try a 3 inch or smaller pulley will this help throw snow farther....thanks for info so far.
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Mar 5, 2011 8:19 am

josjay wrote:
tried a 4 inch pulley on engine today seemed better than 6 inch it seemed to blow snow not too bad but not throwing it very far maybe 4 or 5 feet.should i try a 3 inch or smaller pulley will this help throw snow farther....thanks for info so far.
Stepping down from a 4" drive pulley to a 3" will slow down the auger RPM.  So, no the 3" pulley will not "help throw the snow farther"
In your first post you said that The engine is a 305cc.  Is that the size of the ATV engine? And is that engine driving the blower using some type of PTO shaft or belt?  Or do you have a separate 305cc engine mounted somewhere driving the blower?  Is the auger shaft on the blower being driven or spun by a chain and sprocket?
Does the blower have a right angle gear box on the back of it? With a shaft that has a gear on the end which drives a chain,
which drives another sprocket that is mounted on the end of the auger shaft?
It's rather hard to give any advice without knowing what type of setup you have. What brand or make and model is the blower you're trying to use.
It's also very important to have some idea what RPM the engine drive shaft is spinning at.  It's normally around 3600 on most walk behind blowers at full throttle.
josjay

Reply #7   Mar 5, 2011 5:59 pm
you are right on with what i got.  I have a 305 CC BnS engine and a 5 1/2 inch pulley with a sprocket running the chain for auger on bottom.  On top I have a 4 inch pulley on engine separate from ATV.  Throws snow only 4 to 5 feet.  Any more help would be appreciated thanks...
josjay

Reply #8   Mar 5, 2011 6:04 pm
sorry i forgot to say auger is driven by chain and sprockt would it make any difference to change that part of it.thanks
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Mar 5, 2011 7:37 pm
Yes, changing any of the sprockets or pulley diameters will effect how the blower performs.  And how the engine responds when you fill the blower with snow.

I'm trying to figure out how many pulley's and or chain sprockets you have (I'm thinking probably 4).  Does the engine crankshaft have a belt pulley on it, or a chain sprocket?  Does that belt or chain go around another pulley or sprocket that is on a shaft that goes into a right angle gear box?  Is there then another longer shaft that comes out of the gear box that has a chain sprocket on the end of  it. And a chain that goes around another sprocket that is mounted on the end of the auger shaft?  Need to know the diameter of all the sprockets and or pulley's. What's coming off the engine shaft a belt or chain?  The is no way to figure out anything without knowing how the auger is being driven.
Bill_H

Reply #10   Mar 5, 2011 9:03 pm
If it's any help, my single stage runs at 900 RPM when engine is at 3600. So a stepdown of 4:1 at 10 ft lbs of torque for each 1' of auger. If you have more torque per ft you can go faster thus throwing further.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
josjay

Reply #11   Mar 6, 2011 9:09 am
ok this is what i got a 31/2' pulley on engine with a belt to a 51/2' pulley on shaft. at end of shaft there is a 2' sprocket and a 6' sprocket on auger driven by chain there is no gear box  . it seems to throw not bad but only about 4 feet would like to throw farther.any help is appreciated thanks.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42