Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How good are aluminum bore engines?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

How good are aluminum bore engines?
Original Message   Feb 17, 2011 2:46 am
It would be good to hear some thoughts about the quality of the aluminum bore engine these days.  I've read about "nickelsil" coating, plating, etc.  See this link for some interesting reading:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1721394&page=1

I'll admit I'm not very informed about these items, but could one assume that the Briggs engines from the past 5 or more years with the aluminum bore feature this type of technology?  It also really gets confusing when Briggs keeps coming out with new engine names:  Intek, Snow, Snow Max, Polar Force (Ariens blowers), Professional (Simplicity blowers), and any more I don't know about?  Some with cast iron bore, some with aluminum.

In addition, I've read about the pistons having plating/coating instead of the bore.  True?  Anyway, I'd like to see some good stuff from lots of you.  Thanks.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42