Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Another fuel question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Wheels

Another fuel question
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 1:26 pm
Thanks to all who replied to my stale gas question.  The picture I'm getting is that the fuel is not what it used to be, and the Tecumseh carburetor is maybe a little bit more sensitive than a B&S.  So I pumped as much of the gas out of my blower as I could back into my gas can, and then emptied that into the car.  I will get fresh gas on Tuesday.

Here is my new question: Can gas additives like STP that clean carburetors and fuel injectors be added to the gas in the blower?  It makes sense to me, so tell me if I'm wrong.  If stale gas has been in my tank and sitting in my carb, could I add maybe an ounce of carb cleaner to the tank and run that through to clean the carb?  Has anyone tried it?  Thanks for all input.

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Another fuel question
Reply #1   Jan 30, 2005 1:40 pm
It wont hurt anything but I would not recommend STP. I would use something like Gunk of Berrymans. If your engine has been running fine though, just use fresh gas, like you plan to, and treat it with stabilzer. Good stabilizer, like Pri-G can be added to old gas and make it new again.
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #2   Jan 30, 2005 2:44 pm

I've heard that cleaners and drygas due more harm than good to  OPE. Some thing about clogging the holes in the jets. I would like to know for sure also. I've wanted to use them to flush the system at the end of the year but hav'nt yet.

Tom 

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #3   Jan 30, 2005 2:55 pm
Seafoam as suggested by T-Man.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Jan 30, 2005 3:11 pm
sawme wrote:

I've heard that cleaners and drygas due more harm than good to  OPE. Some thing about clogging the holes in the jets. I would like to know for sure also. I've wanted to use them to flush the system at the end of the year but hav'nt yet.

Tom 

That would certainly be true on older engines that have had a bunch of crap built up within them, it could break up that crap and dislodge it. A newer engine they should help keep clean without any problems. Clean fuel and using a Pri-G type product is the best preventative. A 1/4 to 1/2 oz of Berrymans now and them won't hurt anything and would probably help keep things cleaner.
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #5   Jan 30, 2005 3:15 pm

\

Thanks Marshall

Maybe at the end of the season  I'll give it a try

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Jan 30, 2005 4:09 pm
Hi there Wheels,

It may be a good idea to check the bowl on your carburetor and see if you have this neat little drain that some or perhaps all Snow King engines have.  It's called a "bowl drain" and is very useful if you like to remove all the fuel from the carb when it sits unused.  You can actually turn off the fuel valve, if so equipped, run your engine until it dies, but there is still fuel left at the bottom of the bowl.  In fact, it's where everything collects, even water or condensation.  All you have to do is press the bowl drain, which is a spring loaded valve, and out comes any residual fuel, completely draining the bowl.  If your machine doesn't have it, I'd have it installed.

Also, yet again, I've run into an old timer OPE engine mechanic.  When I mentioned my surging problem, as all old timers do, he told me to get some Marvels Mystery Oil and it'll help with that problem, in addition to water contamination in your fuel.  So the first thing I did was go to the internet to investigate his claims.  As the name suggests, this stuff must really be a mystery, because I can't find a darn thing about what it actually does.  (Folks, we need a smiley guy that looks like he is scratching his head)

BTW...when I refer to "old timers", this isn't a slam in any way.  The older generation has much experience to pass on to us younger folks especially when it comes to engines

Richie
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42