Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger Rake Removal on Sears

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Majorxlr8n

Auger Rake Removal on Sears
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 2:08 am
I'm in WAY too deep on my latest project/mess - I wish I had never even seen this darned thing...

I have another older Sears 5/22 snowblower (model 536.918200) that is giving me grief with just about everything on it. The engine runs good now (another LONG story) but the impeller shaft has about an INCH PLUS of play fore & aft in the auger gearcase. Well, after heating, beating & air chiselling all day (and with only 2 hours sleep all day long), I finally have the auger assembly separated from the machine. I need to get at least one of the auger "rakes" off so I can inspect the auger gearcase. I have already heated & beated on both of the rakes but they haven't budged. Can anyone suggest any other methods of removal? Hydraulic press perhaps?

Thanks!
Marty

Replies: 5 - 14 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Auger Rake Removal on Sears
Reply #5   Jan 31, 2005 1:53 am
Ralph -

YOU MADE MY NIGHT! Using the 2x4's to spin the augers in opposite directions is a GREAT IDEA! I cannot THANK YOU enough for suggesting this. I will certainly post my final outcome on this "mess"...

Regards!
Marty

Majorxlr8n

Reply #6   Feb 2, 2005 11:37 pm
I attempted the trick to remove the auger rakes. I placed the assembly between my 28" gate door outside. I used my floor jack pipe handle (5 feet long) & an 8' 2x4. Provided PLENTY of leverage & I was able to spin one auger rake quite a bit & quite easilly. However, when I adjusted the pipe/2x4 & tried again, somehow I jammed the rake against the LH side half of the auger gearcase & made my normally 2 piece gearcase into a THREE PIECE UNIT.   Now I'm really screwed, as neither Sears or Murray stock the case halves. IF I can get everything apart, including the impeller off the shaft, I'll attempt to MIG weld the broken 2 pieces to make them one & seal the inside with 77B Permatex. I did find that the worm gear has some wear, but nothing major. The front/rear shaft bearings are extremely worn & the reason is there was NO LUBE/OIL in the gearcase! Thats why the shaft walks back & forth over an inch. These bearings are really toast. There are shavings all throughout the gearcase! So now the impeller MUST be removed.

I'm a blink away from aborting this. WAY TOO MANY HOURS into it & more fun ahead to just get it apart. UGH...  

Marty

This message was modified Feb 2, 2005 by Majorxlr8n

Majorxlr8n

Reply #7   Feb 10, 2005 5:29 pm
Still no luck...

Tried heating with Mapp gas/oxygen, spinning with an 8' 2x4, even had my local gas station guy attempt it with a 30 ton hydraulic press & the darned thing won't budge.

HELP?!?

Marty

bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #8   Feb 10, 2005 6:51 pm
Could you get a small grinding wheel/cut off saw in between the auger and shaft?
Cutting a slot and following the auger around the shaft to the other end?
When you get it off, Try glueing sand paper strips to a dowel, that is smaller
then the shaft size,spinning the dowel and sand the rust and grime from the inside.
I know that this is just a silly wild @ss guess,but I would try anything
and everything to get it off. Just to see if I could!
My $.02
T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #9   Feb 10, 2005 9:49 pm
MAJORXLR8N:

Any chance that you could post some pics of the offender?  Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

bbwb

jdavidson

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2005 10:33 pm
Man I feel your pain!  Your story is mirroring mine almost exactly.  The rake on the left side of mine was also rusted solid to the shaft,as well as having a bend in the shaft further sealing the rake to the shaft.   The right side slid right off.    (my whole ordeal started when I sucked up a piece of concrete on the neighbors sidewalk, and bent the auger shaft)

I opened the gearbox and removed the shaft with the left side rake still stuck, along with the left side of the gearbox sandwiched between the rake and the gear.   I work for IT at the local school district here and went to the auto shop class at the high school  to see what they could do to get the rake off.  They had a press but it would not budge.  What finally worked was a long lengthwise cut with a grinder along the rake to relieve the pressure, and then with lots of penetrating oil and the press it came free.  But in that process the left side of the gearbox which was in between got broken.  I found and ordered the gearcase halves, got the shaft straightened out, and reassembled and am back in action.   

Majorxlr8n

Reply #11   Feb 11, 2005 1:05 am
I was hoping to not cut the auger tube, but it may be the only way left to get the auger off the shaft. I would hate to reassemble it all & leave the frozen auger, as I'll have another mess onhand if something jams in that left auger. With all the new parts coming, that auger must be freed. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow...

Thanks Guys!
Marty

jdavidson

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2005 11:58 am
We didn't have to cut the auger tube all the way along the length.  Made a cut probably that came within about 2-3 inches of each end.    Tried to cut just enough to get through the tube but not damage the shaft.  That relieved some pressure and let the penetrating oil get where it needed to be.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #13   Feb 11, 2005 2:04 pm
JD-

That was a pretty clever idea, to cut lube slots in the auger tube.  Hey marty, you're using something hardcore for penetrating oil(like Kroil) right??  Kroil is phenomanal stuff for times like this.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Majorxlr8n

Reply #14   Feb 12, 2005 2:07 am
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WE GOT IT OFF!!!! Thank God...

What a fight this da**ed thing was...

JDavidson, I ended up doing just as you did - I cut a straight line (well, sort of ) leaving about 2 inches on each end of the auger tube.

Terrapin - I actually have a freon based penetrating oil that I get from a buddy who builds/repairs winches for US Armed Forces ships & aircraft - the stuff usually works REAL WELL, but it hasn't helped ease this task!!

I even bought a new high speed cutoff wheel for this & wonder how I did without it all these years!

After making the cut in the auger tube, I loaded it up with my "magic juice" mentioned above. Then I grabbed the torch & heated it until most of it was glowing orange. I quickly wedged two 2x4's in the augers, grabbed the one on the stuck rake, crossed my fingers & began to exert some good effort on the wood. It gave some - I thought it just slipped, but the shear bolt holes no longer lined up! HMMM. I spun it some more but it started to get tight. More magic juice. Turn some more - its moving real easy now. I then got it stuck on the shaft end - the end got "mushroomed" due to hammering the Bejeezus out it. Cutoff wheel to the rescue - ground it down & we FINALLY got the whole thing off.

Parts should arrive next week, so I'll spend a little time welding up the cut section, sandblasting the augers & repainting them for a nice new look. This baby is going to be like NEW MONEY by the time I get done with it.

Thank you ALL for your suggestions, help, a listening to my rants on this project. It has been a bear. I hope it gets easier from here on in...

Regards!
Marty

Replies: 5 - 14 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42