Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger Rake Removal on Sears

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Majorxlr8n

Auger Rake Removal on Sears
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 2:08 am
I'm in WAY too deep on my latest project/mess - I wish I had never even seen this darned thing...

I have another older Sears 5/22 snowblower (model 536.918200) that is giving me grief with just about everything on it. The engine runs good now (another LONG story) but the impeller shaft has about an INCH PLUS of play fore & aft in the auger gearcase. Well, after heating, beating & air chiselling all day (and with only 2 hours sleep all day long), I finally have the auger assembly separated from the machine. I need to get at least one of the auger "rakes" off so I can inspect the auger gearcase. I have already heated & beated on both of the rakes but they haven't budged. Can anyone suggest any other methods of removal? Hydraulic press perhaps?

Thanks!
Marty

Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Auger Rake Removal on Sears
Reply #15   Feb 17, 2005 1:42 am
Here's my formidable, but losing opponent...

It certainly won a few battles, but eventually LOST THE WAR!

Heres one reason why the impeller shaft was "going for a walk":

The other reasons for the excessive shaft play were that the shaft collar retaining roll pin was busted, the shaft collar steel shim was ground down, and the worm gear keyway was cocked & about 30 seconds more of running time away from shearing. Someone really beat up this poor old boy by hitting a lot of debris. I can't believe the worm gear was actually ok! Everything else took the punishment!

Marty

Majorxlr8n

Reply #16   Feb 19, 2005 9:30 am
Some progress pics. The auger gearcase's internals are all new except the worm gear. It rotates like butter. Today we install the assembly & hopefully button up "the auger tragedy"...

Marty

itzbinnice

Reply #17   Feb 19, 2005 12:26 pm
Marty

Great job, you'd make a fine surgeon, can't even see the cuts you made to the auger. Hurry up and button it up and get it out the door, snow forecast so potential buyers will be knocking down your door. Went to 2 Home Depots yesterday, not a single unit on the floors. No time for ebay, as soon as it starts to snow bring it to a busy intersection with a large 4 sale sign, somebody will buy it.

Cheers

Will  

Majorxlr8n

Reply #18   Feb 19, 2005 9:39 pm
Thanks Will for the kind words! Much appreciated!!

NOW GUYS & GALS - Are you ready for the unvailing? SHES ALL DONE!!! Thanks to ALL, especially JDavidson for the auger case assistance! You all were probably getting tired of my posting on this, so thanks for letting me share!

Marty

donkeyp

Home of beautiful Roscoe Conkling Park

Reply #19   Feb 21, 2005 12:47 pm
Congradulation  this is an awesome job you did

I like those rebuilding story's it reminds me a lot of project I did in the past

Bravissimo

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #20   Feb 21, 2005 1:24 pm
Nice job Marty. I wish I had your patience. That bucket is the bomb!

Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
skyking3

Reply #21   Feb 21, 2005 1:28 pm
great job marty,

i know it taxed you at times but you showed the determination not to let it beat you......................

with all that effort , are you keeping it now ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....................if not .......let me know.............i'll be right there...........

bill

itzbinnice

Reply #22   Feb 21, 2005 8:12 pm
skyking3 wrote:
great job marty,

i know it taxed you at times but you showed the determination not to let it beat you......................

with all that effort , are you keeping it now ?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....................if not .......let me know.............i'll be right there...........

bill

I think Marty's taking a couple of days of R&R, in the ICU, after that one.

It's up for sale on ebay, hope new owner can appreciate all the hard work that went into it.

bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #23   Feb 21, 2005 8:17 pm
Wow Marty...Great Job!!!

It is almost a shame to use it now that it is so nice.

bbwb

jdavidson

Reply #24   Feb 21, 2005 10:46 pm
WOW - Sure wound up looking a lot nicer than mine!   Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!  Glad I was able to share what I knew, wasn't sure how many snowblowers like mine of that vintage were still kickin' 

Great Job!

Jon 

Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42