Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > This is when you need Track Drive!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

This is when you need Track Drive!!
Original Message   Jan 21, 2011 10:32 pm
Ok, tracks may be a little more effort to turn, but when you have 30 - 40 inches of blown hard packed snow, you need to have tracks!! A hydro drive helps too, because I had to go very very slow.

I had to put the Hydro Drive down to a crawl, and a few times I did have to back up, to let the cut snow fall in front, and then go forward again. There was a couple times when the tracks slipped, and I did have to rock the unit a bit, to get it going again.

This is on gravel, so I could not put the bucket all the way down which did cause some riding up, which I was able to control by going slower. I was able to cut this path in under 5 minutes.

My previous wheeled unit would never have touched this, and I suspect, other wheeled units would have not have got through this in the same amount of time: 

And Yes, I backed out, there was an obstacle at the front of the driveway.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: This is when you need Track Drive!!
Reply #5   Jan 21, 2011 11:47 pm
So you got that stuff too!  Very similar conditions and experience with the Honda 928 here as well.

aa335

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2011 12:11 am
@rubinew,

That's a lot of snow.  Your choice of snowblower is definitely right on.  Tracks for tunneling through and Yamaha to throw that snow as far away as possible.  I didn't realize that Yamaha has a 2 stage deflector.  That's nice  to keep the snow stream tight when you have it angled down low.

Do you have markers on your driveway or sidewalks?  The pictures look like you're going through an open field.I always find it challenging to make the first pass and not run into grass, mulch beds.   Especially if the first pass is on one side of the driveway.  Not quite sure where the edge is, sometimes I run into 6 inches of grass before realizing it.

If I start at the middle and make passes and open outward, I don't have that problems since there are visual cues on the driveway.  The most challenging one is the curved walkway, 4 feet wide and running a 32" bucket.  I crawl slowly so I don't aerate my lawn.  :)
rubinew

Reply #7   Jan 22, 2011 12:35 am
aa335 wrote:
@rubinew,

That's a lot of snow.  Your choice of snowblower is definitely right on.  Tracks for tunneling through and Yamaha to throw that snow as far away as possible.  I didn't realize that Yamaha has a 2 stage deflector.  That's nice  to keep the snow stream tight when you have it angled down low.

Do you have markers on your driveway or sidewalks?  The pictures look like you're going through an open field.I always find it challenging to make the first pass and not run into grass, mulch beds.   Especially if the first pass is on one side of the driveway.  Not quite sure where the edge is, sometimes I run into 6 inches of grass before realizing it.

If I start at the middle and make passes and open outward, I don't have that problems since there are visual cues on the driveway.  The most challenging one is the curved walkway, 4 feet wide and running a 32" bucket.  I crawl slowly so I don't aerate my lawn.  :)

I site the driveway from the sides of the garage, I sometimes get of the pad, but mostly it is okay.

The curved sidewalk to the front stairs is still a challenge, I often just cut to straight paths, then clean it up to the edges with the shovel.

No grass yet, hopefully next year!

This message was modified Jan 22, 2011 by rubinew
Steve_Cebu

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2011 10:19 am
rubinew wrote:
I site the driveway from the sides of the garage, I sometimes get of the pad, but mostly it is okay.

The curved sidewalk to the front stairs is still a challenge, I often just cut to straight paths, then clean it up to the edges with the shovel.

No grass yet, hopefully next year!

Th wheeled units are what most people need. Most people where I live really don't NEED tracks. Further Norh than we are it's a different story. For your needs there is no way a wheeled unit would work. You needed tracks. You probably don't have a lot of turns so turning isn't an issue.

I'm curious as to how well your wife was able to use it? Pics are great, really shows the depth of snow you have to deal with.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm
Location really doesn't dictate whether wheeled or tracked machines are needed.  Conditions are what matters.  As in rubinew's situation, hard packed drifting requires steady progressive forward speed even if it's just crawling as well as the ability to keep the bucket down.    The larger Yamaha and Honda machines are  ideal walk behind snow blowers for what he's dealing with.  However, if I were in his situation, I'd probably own a nice Kubota or JD 4WD diesel powered yard tractor with a heated cab and a 60" blower on the front.   Cut grass with it in the summer and blow snow in the winter. 
rubinew

Reply #10   Jan 22, 2011 12:58 pm
borat wrote:
Location really doesn't dictate whether wheeled or tracked machines are needed.  Conditions are what matters.  As in rubinew's situation, hard packed drifting requires steady progressive forward speed even if it's just crawling as well as the ability to keep the bucket down.    The larger Yamaha and Honda machines are  ideal walk behind snow blowers for what he's dealing with.  However, if I were in his situation, I'd probably own a nice Kubota or JD 4WD diesel powered yard tractor with a heated cab and a 60" blower on the front.   Cut grass with it in the summer and blow snow in the winter. 

I am with you on the Kubota, nice units. Maybe in the future, when I can build a place to store it. Meanwhile, the Yamaha fits in my current garage.

If I get a tractor in the future, I will have to build an extra shed to store it in. Good news is, if/when the time comes, I will be able to sell the Yamaha for a decent price.

Paul7

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2011 11:20 pm
rubinew wrote:
Ok, tracks may be a little more effort to turn, but when you have 30 - 40 inches of blown hard packed snow, you need to have tracks!! A hydro drive helps too, because I had to go very very slow.

That snow in the pictures...can you walk on it?  If so I couldn't even imagine tackling it with my wheeled snow thrower.  Maybe a flame thrower...
Dr_Woof

Reply #12   Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am
Walk on it?  lol  We had the same stuff here and I could drive my SUV on it without leaving much of a footprint either.

rubinew

Reply #13   Jan 23, 2011 1:02 am
Paul7 wrote:
That snow in the pictures...can you walk on it?  If so I couldn't even imagine tackling it with my wheeled snow thrower.  Maybe a flame thrower...

Walk?? You could cube this stuff and make Igloos out of it!!

My wife took her van, Chev Astro, not 4 wheel drive,  through a thinner part, maybe 20 inches, about 6 feet wide, hung it up.

Had to shovel and scrap it out, esp the stuff under it, so she could finally get out

I had used the Yamaha to clear a path for her, I guess 10 feet wide wasn't enough  She skewed right, and backed into the drift by mistake.

Dr_Woof

Reply #14   Jan 23, 2011 10:16 am
And if it wasn't so temperature sensitive.......we wouldn't have to buy concrete.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42