Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available
Original Message   Jan 20, 2011 10:43 am
I have a new Honda HS928TCD blower.  Apparently a change was made in the past for the shear pins for the HS928 so now there are two types available, depending on the frame serial number. The older style pins have a P/N of  95701-06016-00 and the newer style is 92101-06016-0A. Since I have a bunch of the older style shear pins, I am wondering what the nature of the change was and if the older type of shear pins will work for the newer model.  If the old style is used on the new frame type, is there a danger to the gearcase because the shearing point is different?  See  http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Snow%20Blower/0/HS928%20WAS%20SNOW%20BLOWER%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20SZAS-1100001%20TO%20SZAS-1129999/AUGER/parts.html for the illustrations.  Any ideas out there?

Replies: 31 - 40 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dr_Woof

Re: Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available
Reply #31   Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm
Here's some shear pin pictures.  The bottom picture shows the relative lengths of the two bolts (Ebay is the longer one, OE Honda the shorter).  The top picture shows  the OE Honda bolt (right) and both top and bottom views of the Ebay bolts with a Nyloc nut in place (left).  The really long and dark bolt is the Honda OE shearpin for the auger gearbox drive shaft; these hardly ever break but there are lots on sale with Ebay just listed as Honda shear pins so if you need regular shearpins don't get these.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by Dr_Woof

MN_Runner

Reply #32   Jan 26, 2011 9:17 pm
Woof,

The length of my "CHS 8.8" was identical to the Honda shear bolts.   I also bought 5 Honda OE shaft shear pins/nuts from Oregon where they were selling the pack for less than $15 plus free shipping (http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pack-Honda-Replacement-Shear-Pins-90102-732-010-/320634476673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa74dd881).  Thanks for the pictures.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by MN_Runner
Izzynormal

Reply #33   Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm
My dealer's price on the bolts were cheaper than the nuts.  WTF?  Next time I'm buying a bag of Stainless flange nuts (6mm) and getting for much less from another source.  Make sure the shear bolts you use are good for the job or the auger will self destruct.  I know a machinist and will ask what he thinks.  My dealer charges almost $4 the flange nuts and $1.50 for the bolts.  I didn't mind the bolt prices but the flange nuts were a total ripoff.

BTW I'd like to sell off my WAS 928 as we didn't get enough snow this year to warrant the purchase in Dec. was hoping to get work out of it.  Played with it in only 4" snow to see how it handles and it is great.  Just don't want to store it until next season while all the people around us got pounded.  Like to recoupe my investment.  Have the factory shop manual and owner's manual.  Not sure how to post contact info or if it's allowed.  I'm in Pittsburgh and will post on Craigslist soon.

Skibum

How's that "Hope and Change" working out for you?

Reply #34   Mar 2, 2011 10:30 pm
For Honda bolt, nut, and general parts, the first five digits of the part number are the function and component code. The next five are the bolt or nut dimensions. The next digit is the ISO code and the last number is the chemical surface treatment code. I suspect Honda made a surface treatment change to the bolt; maybe they changed it from zinc to something else and changed it from a flange bolt to a regular hex bolt. 

If you do some cross referencing  with the Honda snowblower shear bolt number 95701-06016-00 you will find that bolt is used on thousands of Honda applications. Everything from Honda automobiles, Honda motorcycles, Honda outboard motors etc. It appears the shear bolt is not a specially treated or tempered bolt at all. It is just an ordinary metric grade 8.8 bolt. By the way, as mentioned in other responses, a metric grade 8.8 is roughly equivalent to a SAE grade 5 bolt. I wouldn't use a metric grade 10.9 or SAE grade 8 bolt as a shear bolt. Its shear strength may be too high for the auger gear box.

I also would not use a SAE grade 2 bolt as some people suggest. These bolts tend to bend and smear instead of shearing off cleanly. Just try to remove a smeared bolt and observe the damage it has done to the mating parts and you'll understand.

You can order the Honda flange bolt from numerous online Honda auto dealers for a lot less than you can from many Honda Powersports dealers.  Hondapartsnow.com sells them for $0.58 each. Locking hex nuts are extremely cheap when bought by the package. Or just buy any hex M6-1.00 x16 grade 8.8 bolt. If you want  it to be a flange bolt however, it may be very hard to find at a local hardware store. Just use a washer. You can also change from metric to SAE. Just use 1/4 - 28 x 5/8. They may be even cheaper.

This is all my two cents worth, based on a lot of research after I got sick of being ripped off when I had to pay $2 for a little bolt that was said to be something "special".  My HS1132TA gets lots of use up here in the mountains around Tahoe and eats up those shear pins left and right. Not a fault of the machine though, my 600' driveway is required by local ordinances to have a 1' x 2' gravel filled trench all around it. Those rocks tend to mysteriously find there way into the auger no matter how hard I try to stay away from the edge. Especially at night. 

By the way, it seems everyone around Lake Tahoe has a Honda snowblower and the local hardware stores sell thousands of ordinary metric 8.8 hex bolts. Guess what they are used for? They also have OEM Honda bolts if you want to pay 5 times as much. 

Dr_Woof

Reply #35   Mar 3, 2011 8:15 am
Thanks Skibum - this is good to know.  Best info on it I've seen.  Haven't had to replace a shearpin yet - but then my gravel drive was well prepared with a hard snow base already laid down when I got the Honda.  Next year it'll probably be different -  first few blows always see lotsa gravel thru the chute. 
This message was modified Mar 3, 2011 by Dr_Woof

MN_Runner

Reply #36   Mar 3, 2011 9:04 pm
Woof,

Would love to see some pictures of your 928TCD.  You are one of the few with the fancy HS928 model. 

BeerZman

Reply #37   Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Thanks SKIBUM!

I didn't know all that about the HS928 shear pins and it was GREAT info....

My dealer here is ONE BEYOND a GOUGE ARTIST and I want to order a bunch of shear pins for my parts drawer to have some on hand! 

I just bought my blower new this month so I am assuming it is the last number pin or the NEW pin for me!

Having said that I am asking you...

Do you know the HONDA "order part number" for the fancy nilock nut with built in washer flange?

I mean I went and saw & you are exactly right that the shear pin BOLT is a bolt you can readily get from Honda parts places...I'd like to get the "nut" too...

May as well as I am ordering it anyway....so I can order them at the same time!

Thanks for the great info!

BEERZ

nvestr

Reply #38   Jan 1, 2013 3:16 pm
Hi guys, I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a while... I have a HS928 shear bolt question as well... I bought a HS928TCD (Canadian model) used and got to use this afternoon for the first time. 2 issues : I broke a bolt on one of the augers. Problem is the bolt that broke is not the one that I think is supposed to shear. If you look at this parts diagram : http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Snow%20Blower/0/HS928%20WAS%20SNOW%20BLOWER%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20SZAS-1100001%20TO%20SZAS-1129999/AUGER/parts.html The bolt that broke is #9. Isn't bolt #13 the one that is supposed to sacrifice itself? Either way, the effect is the same: the auger is now loose and spins freely. I've checked the bolts #13 and they are Grade 8.8 metric bolts, which I think is the proper grade for these. Is it normal for bolt #9 to break? Something leads me to believe that the previous owner changed out the #9 with a random bolt that wasn't necessarily the proper strength. Should the #9 bolt be a softer bolt just like the #13 or can it be a higher grade bolt? I will need to replace it so curious what I need to buy. Also, I broke a track shear pin while trying to dig out the fire hydrant in front of my yard. Is there a non-Honda replacement to those or do I need to buy the Honda pin? Thanks so much guys! Jeff NB, Canada
jrtrebor

Reply #39   Jan 1, 2013 4:28 pm
According to the diagram #9 is not a bolt.  It's a pin held in place by a washer and a clip.
The pin goes through the "Boss" and a hole in the actual auger shaft.
Not sure why your blower had a bolt instead of a pin.

But the good news is that something sheared and you
didn't break the auger shaft or tear up the gear box.
Ace Hardware sells a large selection of metric nuts and bolts
They have the nylon / self locking nuts and Flange whiz nuts.

Just to keep down any confusion.  If it has threads on it, it's a bolt.
If it doesn't it's a pin.  A diagram may refer to an item as a shear pin.
But it is not a pin, if it has threads on it.
nvestr

Reply #40   Jan 2, 2013 6:55 am
Thanks - Just still not sure if that "pin" needs to be a stronger steel than the actual shear bolt (#13)? My Honda dealer is far away and if I can get away with it I will replace the "pin" with something else - unless there is a value to having it there...?
Replies: 31 - 40 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42