Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Chute Hard to Turn on Toro 3650

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Chute Hard to Turn on Toro 3650
Original Message   Jan 29, 2005 3:45 pm
After one snow storm the chute on my 3650 is very hard to turn.

I took everything apart thinking that sand and salt must be the problem but everything is clean.  With the top shroud off the chute turns easily.  With the shroud on it becomes hard to turn.  I believe the problem is the friction of the chute turning against the rubber gasket on the top shroud.  The gasket is probably there to keep snow from entering the engine area.

I tried using a silicone stick lubricant on the gasket and this helped a little but it is still very hard to turn.

Any ideas?

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TomP

Re: Chute Hard to Turn on Toro 3650
Reply #13   Jan 30, 2005 7:00 pm
robmints:

My first snow thrower was a Toro 521.  That little blower was my favorite.  Did little in terms of maintenance but it always got the job done.

Once we had the driveway restoned the Toro kept bending the shaft when stones were pinned between the auger and housing.  It probably did not have shear pins.  The hardware store said my choices were to pave the driveway or buy a single stage with rubber paddles.  That is when the CR20 was purchased.  I keep the CR20 because it has saved my rear many times.  Although designed for some 6-8 inches of snow I have pushed it through 18 inches. Keep in mind the CR20 went for $429 in 1987.  Today that would be well over $1000.  Compare that with the 3650 which came in at $570. 

My Snow Commander appears to be very well built.  The 3650 has had a bunch of problems.  The first one I bought, put int the back of the SUV and two miles down the road all I could smell was gas.  The carb was leaking very bad and I needed to return it.  Number two came home.  The garage smelled of gas.  The carb was not leaking badly but seeping.  Back to the shop.  New gasket didn't do it so they replaced the carb under the warranty.

Now I am faced with the reluctant chute.  Lint saved me here.

I can't say I see huge changes from the design of the CR20 vs. todays models.  Much stronger engines but that is about it.  Definitely hear alot more problems though.  As long as the consumer wants a cheaper throw away model quality doesn't need to be a high requirement.

Snow Team:

robmints

Reply #14   Jan 30, 2005 7:09 pm
robmints wrote:
I have and friends, relatives, and neighbors have had CCR XXX of various years between 1996 an 2000.

How in the world did you understand that sentence?
Emmo

Reply #15   Feb 1, 2005 12:07 am
Thanks lint for all of this great info!

So far I have had nothing but good luck with my 3650, but its' great to know I've got a bud in the know if I have a prob!

Thanks for being willing to share!
Emmo

Reply #16   Feb 8, 2005 10:35 am
Hey Tom, guess whats wrong with my machine??!

Yep, stiff as a board.  Your sand description fits to a T.

It cranks, gets stiff, breaks free, gets stiff again, like there is sand or dirt in the collar.

I last used it about 10 days ago and it was smooth then.  Guess I'll have to open her up and see what gives.

Thanks lint for laying out the ground work, this will be much easier now.
TomP

Reply #17   Feb 8, 2005 11:50 am
Emmo:

I don't understand why the drag didn't appear for a few days in both of our cases but it sounds like the same issue.  Dr. Lints diagnosis was right on and seemed to solve the problem.

Hope your 3650 makes a speedy recovery.

Snow Team:

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #18   Feb 8, 2005 12:46 pm
I have been meaning to ask about the 3650..  I think I own its predacessor/clone.  A 1988/1989 toro ccr2000.  I think it is the first year they came out with the power curve auger  etc   4.5  either suzi or kaw engine.  Not sure as I have never had to touch it cept for putting in a plug or two.  Have prob over 500 hours on it.  The thing will not quit,  throws like a small two stage, (not unlikely to get 35 feet  throw in powder) still looks new.  i was going to disassemble last year for a refurb etc.  didn't get to it.   It does 4 or five properties every snowfall.   

So I will need a new one soon as my 15 yr old uses this one to do neighborhood.

I  am sure the 3650 is a much better machine,  but can I assume they are both built on the same platform.  A better way to say that is are they almost alike.  15 years is a long time so if they made a good thing better then I will be more inclined to buy one before mine gets beyond repair or if a lot of the basics are the same and most ccr2000's were dependable like mine, I will search harded for a used one.  I have seen a couple on e-bay but they usually seem to get a real high price.  Last two went for like 275plus 50 shipping, (at a dealer in 89 they went for 425, I paid 350 end of year price)  one of which said was only 8 yrs old. so guess I can assume they made them for at least 8 years.  

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 9, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
TomP

Reply #19   Feb 22, 2005 11:54 am
Hate to bring this one back but another snow storm and the chute is again binding!   

The gear lash adjustment and some spray lube on the chute seems to work fine; until I actually throw some snow. 

Its not like I am turning the crank that often based on the way I clear the drive.  Maybe 5 times max while doing the EOD.  Aside from this symptom the blower is great.

Since I have had the blower for about 2 months seems like a trip to the dealer is a good idea before the warranty slips away.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Snow Team:

jubol

Reply #20   Feb 22, 2005 12:32 pm
 TomP

If that blower is still under warrenty, I would take it to the dealer (when winter blowing is over) and let Toro fix it !!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #21   Feb 24, 2005 6:37 pm
Tom,

It still hasn't happened to me.  I will get another run tonight, had one earlier this week, and maybe if we get a storm on monday.  I do use the crank often when doing my drive.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Walt

buttlint

Reply #22   Feb 24, 2005 8:01 pm
By all means guys,
Bring them in too the dealer and have them checked out if you are having a problem.
This is a good time too do it.....things are slow in the shops (unless we have another big storm) and there is usually a quick turn-around at this time of year.
We are all stilled geared into snowblowers and looking for excuses too write warrenty claims.
You will get much better service now...than you will in mid-July.
Why?......Because in the middle of mower season all memories of snowblowers will have been deleted from our memory banks and the blower will be shoved off into a corner, much like lawnmowers are at this time of year.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42