Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda Power Equipment Web Site REAR skid shoes OK on all Models

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Honda Power Equipment Web Site REAR skid shoes OK on all Models
Original Message   Jan 6, 2011 10:28 am
Just to make a point that the pseudo-experts on these forums often have little knowledge of what they discuss, the Honda Power Equipment web site shows all 2 stage snowblowers without side (Commercial ) skid shoes.  That is because Honda sells those heavy side mount skid shoes as an OPTION intended for the Commercial Use of any and all of the Honda 2 stage snowblower models.  Nowhere in the Honda owners manual, shop manual, or Honda Website is it ever suggested that the commercial side mounted skid shoes NOT be installed on any or all of the Honda 2 stage snowblowers.

The pseudo-expert idea that the snowblowers adjustable auger housing fails to remain adjustable once the side mount skid shoes are installed, is an equally bogus idea.  I know that from my own experience, but again the HONDA accessory says nothing about this, nor does the owners manual, or any other Honda resource.  If purchasing and installing any original equipment accessory like the Commercial Skid Shoes did Limit the operation of the machine in anyway, you would expect the manufacturer (in this case HONDA) to make that limitation clear and ceratin.  Obviously they don't even mention the possibility of this bogus advice.   It would be interesting to learn from what 'source' such myths arise, but myth's they are, nothing more. Always check out such advice with the manufacturer before giving any credibility to it, never accept it at face value.  The internet is filled with such bogus advice-chatter and we should always be aware of that.

So the accurate facts of the skid shoes are these . . . Use either the side or the rear mount shoes on your Honda 2 stage snowthrower, both work just fine according to HONDA who manufactures them.

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Honda Power Equipment Web Site REAR skid shoes OK on all Models
Reply #6   Jan 6, 2011 7:09 pm
kderobertis wrote:
None on mine..... great machine!

That is such a great photo of an HS928TA!
This message was modified Jan 6, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #7   Jan 7, 2011 12:38 am
rubinew wrote:
http://english.honda.ca/HPower/Models/ModelOverview?L=E&Type=SnowBlowers&Series=HS928&Model=HS928TC

The 928 and 724 track models in the Canada Honda website are shown with side skid shoes, one of the exceptions is the wheeled version of the 928. Then the 1132 and 624 do not have side skid shoes. When I was in the showroom, the HS928TCD had both, installed from factory. The was a unit for sale for Non Comercial use, I could have taken it home that day  Almost did, damn that Yamaha

It does appear that you can use either skids,  or both, on a Hondas! Probably depends on your preferences, use, steering concerns, etc.

New_Yorker believes that the manual is the Bible. I went on the basis of what the Honda techs at the dealership told me. This New_Yorker guy needs to argue with the dealers and see how far that gets him. I had the 928 and it didn't have skid shoes on the side. It did chew up ice on the driveway in it's lowest mode and as far as I could tell didn't chew up the pavement. Canada has so many different options as well. If you are at the Honda dealer again up there maybe you could ask him what the deal is with the side skid shoes. My dealer was specific about it.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
rubinew

Reply #8   Jan 7, 2011 7:48 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
New_Yorker believes that the manual is the Bible. I went on the basis of what the Honda techs at the dealership told me. This New_Yorker guy needs to argue with the dealers and see how far that gets him. I had the 928 and it didn't have skid shoes on the side. It did chew up ice on the driveway in it's lowest mode and as far as I could tell didn't chew up the pavement. Canada has so many different options as well. If you are at the Honda dealer again up there maybe you could ask him what the deal is with the side skid shoes. My dealer was specific about it.

I am curious as well, If I get a chance, I will ask
Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Jan 7, 2011 9:57 am
rubinew wrote:
I am curious as well, If I get a chance, I will ask

Thanks, it will be interesting to see what your dealer has to say about it. It's probably not a common question.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Underdog

Reply #10   Jan 7, 2011 10:37 pm
aa335 wrote:
You can adjust the skid shoes so that the auger can make contact with the pavement.  It will take on concrete while sharpening itself.  However, that is not the correct setting.  I was playing around with the setting and had the auger sharpening on concrete by accident.   The manual has recommended clearance for the auger, as well as the scraper blade in the neutral position, #2.  If you set this correctly, when in scraper mode, the auger barely touches the pavement when you tilt it forward.

Now it's a little tricky to set the auger clearance to the pavement.  You may have support the auger shaft at 2 ends with a 1x2" and measure the clearance.  Or get a piece of flat material of same thickness and put it under the auger.  Make sure your floor or surface is flat and level as possible.  Once you got the auger clearance at the appropriate gap, drop the scraper blade to the recommended gap.  Make sure you support the scraper blade at both ends so that it's level to the floor.  Tighten the bolts.  Then drop your rear skid shoes and tighten last. 

I'm going by memory something I did once 2 years ago so I may miss something.  Once you have that auger clearance dialed in, you adjust the scraper blade clearance the same as any other snowblower.  Shim it with 2 paint sticks, one on each side, drop the skid shoes, and tighten. 

These procedure will probably NOT make any sense on other brands of snowblowers except Honda.  You have to read the Honda manual and have a Honda tracked snowblower on hand to see why it is what it is.  I don't have any knowledge with Yamaha snowblower set up but it maybe the same, or not.

Thanks for this. I must have missed it. Yes, I am running a HS928TA this season. Having lots of fun.
This message was modified Jan 7, 2011 by Underdog

njal

Reply #11   Jan 8, 2011 10:43 am
aa335 wrote:
You can adjust the skid shoes so that the auger can make contact with the pavement.  It will take on concrete while sharpening itself.  However, that is not the correct setting.  I was playing around with the setting and had the auger sharpening on concrete by accident.   The manual has recommended clearance for the auger, as well as the scraper blade in the neutral position, #2.  If you set this correctly, when in scraper mode, the auger barely touches the pavement when you tilt it forward.

Now it's a little tricky to set the auger clearance to the pavement.  You may have support the auger shaft at 2 ends with a 1x2" and measure the clearance.  Or get a piece of flat material of same thickness and put it under the auger.  Make sure your floor or surface is flat and level as possible.  Once you got the auger clearance at the appropriate gap, drop the scraper blade to the recommended gap.  Make sure you support the scraper blade at both ends so that it's level to the floor.  Tighten the bolts.  Then drop your rear skid shoes and tighten last. 

I'm going by memory something I did once 2 years ago so I may miss something.  Once you have that auger clearance dialed in, you adjust the scraper blade clearance the same as any other snowblower.  Shim it with 2 paint sticks, one on each side, drop the skid shoes, and tighten. 

These procedure will probably NOT make any sense on other brands of snowblowers except Honda.  You have to read the Honda manual and have a Honda tracked snowblower on hand to see why it is what it is.  I don't have any knowledge with Yamaha snowblower set up but it maybe the same, or not.

aa335

I may have to pick your brain later,after reading your post,I'm not sure I have mine adj. correctly

njal

Reply #12   Jan 8, 2011 1:21 pm
aa335

I just looked at it ,seem's correct.In the most forward (down  scrap position) when
I spin the auger I have clearance between the pavement and auger.
So I'm thinking it's set correctly?
aa335

Reply #13   Jan 8, 2011 3:36 pm
njal wrote:
aa335

I just looked at it ,seem's correct.In the most forward (down  scrap position) when
I spin the auger I have clearance between the pavement and auger.
So I'm thinking it's set correctly?

Yes, that sounds about right.  Going by memory, there should be 1/16" to 1/8" gap between auger and pavement for typical ice scraping/chipping.   I have to find that user manual to confirm the spec.

This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by aa335
njal

Reply #14   Jan 8, 2011 7:47 pm
Thanks again for that post my OCD  kicked in

after i looked at your post and had to go check!

aa335

Reply #15   Jan 8, 2011 9:55 pm
njal wrote:
Thanks again for that post my OCD  kicked in

after i looked at your post and had to go check!

You're welcome. Honda owners are typically a discerning crowd anyways so some OCD is expected.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42