Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Stale gasoline question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Wheels

Stale gasoline question
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 6:53 pm
Hello all,

I'm new to this snowblower community.  I've got my new Ariens 8526 which I used last weekend and loved.  Here is my question:  Everyone on the forum seems to agree that fresh gasoline is important.  My OPE dealer has told me repeatedly to dump my gas can into my car after a month or two, and get fresh gas for the blower.  I understand it and it all makes sense.  But I'm wondering why these snowblower motors are so particular about gas.  I've got a tiller with a 5 hp B&S motor that I've had for at least six years and I've never done anything to it.  Most years it gets used once in the spring and than sits til next year.  Sometimes it gets used a second time in the fall.  So the best case is it gets run an hour in the spring and an hour in the fall.  I have only added gas when I use it.  Never drained the tank.  Always starts and runs fine.  Now I know you guys are cringing at this.  I just wasn't as 'in' to my power equipment as I am now that I have found this forum.  So if the tiller can sit year after year with gas in the tank until some more is added, and there have been no problems, do the snowblowers really need such pampering in regards to gas?  Keep in mind that I'm not suggesting that anyone treat their blower like I've treated my tiller.  And I'm not going to do that either.  But are they really that finiky, and if so why?   Please don't flame.  Just trying to learn.

Ariens 8526LE, Cub Cadet 2185 LT, Troy Bilt 8hp 5550 Watt Generator
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Re: Stale gasoline question
Reply #10   Jan 29, 2005 6:37 am
18Degrees wrote:
It had been about a month from the last snowfall, so I started the Honda and made sure it ran good.  Then I bought "fresh"(watered maybe) 91 oct fuel and put sta-bil in the gas can before filling it up.  Topped off the tank in the morning (it was a third full), and it would not start.

I'm not sure if what I'm about to write is productive or not - I honestly don't know what "productive is" on AbbysGuide, but hopefully this might lead to an answer.

Based on the quote above, it appears as though the Honda ran well with StoreX Gas.  Then, just after winter was over, you bought StoreX Gas, put sta-bil in it and topped off the tank.  Then it wouldn't start.  I'm wondering if your area of the country does what mine does - during the winter months, they change the gasoline to a gas-ethanol mix, and they were still selling that when you bought it.

If any of the small engine guys here would like to comment on ethanol I would appreciate it, as the above is only my guess.  Could you also tell us, was this gas from a national brand?

--SnowRemover
This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
18Degrees

Reply #11   Jan 29, 2005 9:27 am
SnowRemover wrote:
  Could you also tell us, was this gas from a national brand?

--SnowRemover

The brand was Cenex, 91 Octane in the middle of winter (December2003).  Around here the 89 cotance had 10% ethanol label on it so I avoid it like a honey-do.  I think maybe it was water in there ground tank, but maybe it is like you said SnowRemover.  No problems from gas from 2 other stations (91 octane).                                                  

18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
spottedpony

Reply #12   Jan 29, 2005 9:48 am
Some interesting facts about gas that i learned years ago,  when helping on tank additions at several bulk plants, gas is gas, and for a given octane rating all the fuel delivered from a given bulk plant comes from the same tanks regardless of the retailer brand its going to, no matter if its a "name" brand station or the local convience store. the difference is the type and quantity of additives added to the fuel at the time its dispensed at the bulk plant.  a good example of this, was a sinclair bulk plant i was working in & the only bulk storage facility in something like a 250 mile radius, on a given day, one would see several trucks from the different brands all transporting fuel from this one plant, not only sinclair, but texico, conoco, amaco, & union 76 included. What i was told by plant help was each "brand name"specified the types and quantities of additives added to the fuel at the time of loading onto the transports. in addition to this, many of the local small stations & donut stores suffer from inconsistant fuel quality, (in some cases at least) because they purchase fuel from different transporters depending on who sells it cheaper at the time, thus there is no consistancy in the additives used in the fuel they are supplied with.
Blue9R

Reply #13   Jan 29, 2005 10:13 am
Hi Everybody!

I think 'Lint hit on most of the talking points in his post.  My only comment is the higher volatility winter gas should not generate any storage issues from December thru March, if the OPE 5 gallon can is kept in an unheated garage or storage shed.  Oxidation activity in gasoline is highest in warmer temperatures.

While it is a good practice to empty the OPE 5 gallon can into a vehicle at the end of each month, to insure fresh gas, I would'nt worry about it in the winter months.

As far as octane, most small engines require 87 minimum, and premium gas, other than the higher detergent levels with some brands, will not achieve any performance gains.  Higher octane gas has a slower "flame front" for proper ignition in high compression engines and doesn't really have a higher energy value.

As SpottedPony indicates, multiple brands are supplied from the same pipeline bulk terminal storage tank, with the only difference being the brand specific additives.

Here is a link to Chevron with some good info on the use of ethanol reformulated/oxygenated gas.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/oxy-nona/concerns.shtml

Blue

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #14   Jan 29, 2005 10:15 am
Don't even get me started on Wisconsin's lovely reformulated gas (Thanks Tommy Thompson!) which is more expensive than other states' gas, reduces gas mileage (are we helping the environment yet? ) and has shown to damage cars by clogging fuel injectors, etc.  

So we are paying more to reduce our mileage and wreck our cars......yup, that was quite the beneficial deal for our state....

Paula

Blue9R

Reply #15   Jan 29, 2005 11:10 am
LOL, yeah, Paula, we did have an episode with clogged fuel injectors in the Milwaukee area.

But cut Tommy some slack!   After stepping down from his cabinet post , he's currently unemployed!

A high percentage of the problems were traced back to Citgo gas & probably some problems at the Citgo refinery in Lemont, Illinois.

I always run a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner every 3-4 months to avoid these problems.

18Degrees

Reply #16   Jan 29, 2005 4:24 pm
That is why I like to avoid buying gas when I am near Milwaukee.  Forced ethnol=poopy.                                                 18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
18Degrees

Reply #17   Jan 29, 2005 4:41 pm
When I purchased my Stihl chainsaw, the dealer said the number one problem with all the repairs on Huskies and Stihl is people leaving gas in them.   He said if you are not going to use it in a week- to dunp it in your car. (Also to run the carb empty).

18 degrees

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #18   Jan 29, 2005 7:29 pm
18Degrees

You may already be aware of this, but to avoid that 'poopy' gas, some of the out lying areas from Milwaukee (Jefferson county is one I know of for sure, but there are others), still have the regular, nonformulated gas.  Whenever I get out that way, I run my tank as emtpy as I can and then fill up when I am there.  I definitely notice a change in mileage. 

Blue

Funny.....now that Tommy is unemployed after his stint as Secretary of Health & Human Services (such a natural lateral move from his previous job as Govenor...), wonder if we'll see more of him in Wisconsin again?  I'm sure he'll want to stay and enjoy the effects of the increased prices and decreased quality of gas, the stadium tax to pay for the stadium for the highly rated Brewers who were just sold and the increased property taxes despite the promise of bringing in the lottery would make all of our taxes across the board go down?  Yeah...I'll bet he's looking at property here as we speak! 

Paula

18Degrees

Reply #19   Jan 29, 2005 7:33 pm
Paula

I live on the west coast of Wisconsin, but my travels bring me to the east side of the state sometimes.

thanks               18 degrees

Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42