Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Alternators-----one wire and 2 wire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Alternators-----one wire and 2 wire
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 6:45 pm
I have a Pecan tree shaker with a 1968 Dodge engine.  It is working fine but I want to buy me a spare alternator.  Checking with the salvage yard I find all they have are Two (2) wire alternators.  Mine on the engine is a One (1) wire.  Can I put  a jumper wire across the two  and make it work or would it probably damage the windings. Appreciate some help--Will
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by pecanmanwill

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Re: Alternators-----one wire and 2 wire
Reply #1   Jan 28, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi Will

And how's the Lord treating you today? All is well here.

The alternator with one wire that you need sounds like one that may have a separate part called a rectifier(to convert ac to dc ) or a  (Voltage regulator) that should be mounted on the tractor . I'm sure that if Lint or Marty see this  they will have the answer that you need. If not I'll ask a friend at work about it.  I don't think that you can jumper between terminals.

Have a Blessed day

Tom
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by sawme

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #2   Jan 29, 2005 12:41 am
Hello Pecanmanwill:

I am working off of memory but here it goes...Do not connect the two terminals together!

As I recall, the two terminals will be B+ (Battery lead that goes to the positive post of battery), F (Field post that controls the regulator).  And of course the alternator needs to be grounded.  As the alternator runs and a volt meter is placed on the B terminal and ground, the voltage will increase when the engine speed increases.  The F terminal voltage will decrease when the engine speed increases.  I remember that if the two terminals are wired together, the alternator will give out full power and will overcharge your battery and ruin it 

I hope that there might be others with a better handle on this more than me and hope that the respond.

bbwb

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by bbwb
Majorxlr8n

Reply #3   Jan 29, 2005 1:48 am
Will - I would weigh the cost of the "used" junkyard alternator versus a rebuilt one. Usually a rebuilt alternator can be had for under $40 at most auto parts shops. DEFINITELY DO NOT jump the 2 terminals as you will probably fry the alternator. But I want to say that there IS A WAY to use a 2 wire alternator in a single wire application. I'll have to do some digging in my old Motor Manuals for some particulars.

Marty

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #4   Jan 29, 2005 6:53 am
Tom---The Lord has been so good to me.  I feel you, Marty, and bbwb  are right.  I was afraid to jump them.  They are both marked field.  It has a seperate terminal for the battery voltage.  I am going to take it to a auto supply place that checks them for nothing and see what they do to check it.  If it is bad  I will probably buy a rebuilt one as you recommended.  Thanks again and the Lord watch over you and your families, today, and always---Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42