Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snow Blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jubol

MTD Snow Blowers
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 4:48 pm

How many of you folks out there with MTD snowblowers, have had problems, or no problems?

Let's count and see how :"Junky MTD" does !!, compared to Ariens great QC ! ! ! 

Fred            

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: MTD Snow Blowers
Reply #2   Jan 28, 2005 6:02 pm
   TomP,

Been doing that all my life!!

Have over 1900 hours of USAF combat time, also Us Army Airborne qualified!

Fred         

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #3   Jan 28, 2005 6:27 pm
Hi Fred,

I just noticed on your signature you have a 10.5 hp MTD.  Are those L-heads or OHV engines?  How are those larger engines?

Richie
jubol

Reply #4   Jan 28, 2005 6:40 pm
         Richie,

It's an L head, but blows like he#$ with only a 26 in wide bite!!

For where I live in Dover, it is overkill  most of the time, except when we get a NE'ster, then it is still great!!

Fred    

sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #5   Jan 28, 2005 6:51 pm

You have earned my respect over the years Fred!      I have a 15 year old Yard man riding mower that has seen way too much abuse . It has had a tree fall on it and even the garage roof fell in on it one year due to snow loading. It has preformed very well for me and I have been very happy with it.

Is it a John Deere? No but it has mowed my lawn for fifteen years so I can't complain.

Sorry it's not a snowblower Fred but I just thought I give a little honor to the old machine

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   Jan 28, 2005 7:07 pm
I think when Sawme bought his machine the quality was better.  Fred have you looked at this thread ?  Do you have to disassemble your unit to replace the belts? 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 28, 2005 7:08 pm
Sigh......

I don't have time to post here re: all the folks I have talked to re: MTD snowblowers first hand, (and you would have to trust me enough to believe me anyway) who have had problems with them. 

I hope that no-one has problems with their snowblowers.

Most folks that buy a snowblower don't research the purchase, again you just have to take my word at this.  After they have a problem they are not going to come here and post their problems anyway, what's the use of that.

Fred with all due respect I don't feel that a thread like this is productive at all.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #8   Jan 28, 2005 8:46 pm
Chalk up another "sign of hands" from me for being a happy MTD owner. Will it last 30+ years? Time will tell. In my careful  & capable hands, it should last me some time. Plus, our usual light snowfall amounts in NJ will help its longevity. If I lived further north in the snow belt, I wonder how it would fare.

Changing MTD belts - There is barely enough room to slide a new auger belt between the auger & drive pulleys. Yeah, most would probably advise to separate the front of the machine from the rear machine frame. NOT NECESSARY!! Here's the secret - put the belt on the engine's crankshaft pulley, then place the belt on one side of the auger pulley. Use a long, thin screwdriver to push it between the 2 pulleys. Now with the spark plug wire off, slowly pull the recoil starter so the pulley spins some. Push down further on the belt - it will "walk" between the pulleys as the spinning motion "helps" it feed further down between the pulleys. Repeat until the belt is engaged on the bottom half of the pulley. Now just route it over the idler. Done! This procedure will NOT HARM THE BELT. Mine is holding up just fine, as well as at least a dozen others I have done the same way.

Replacing the drive belt doesn't require this procedure as its much thinner & can slide past the pulleys easilly. If you encounter one that IS tight, just follow my procedure above & you'll be home free.

Whoever uses this info owes me a beer. I just saved you quite a bit of unnecessary work...

Marty

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by Majorxlr8n

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jan 28, 2005 9:06 pm
Marty, that was a good thoughtful, helpful procedure.  You know V-8 juice is better don't you?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jubol

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2005 7:19 am
  AJace,

I do not have to split the blower to change belts!!  Thank God

Marty pretty well covered it !!

Fred.                   

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by jubol

jubol

Reply #11   Jan 29, 2005 7:23 am
 Chris S,

Why, because it is not "Pro"  Ariens or Toro??

Fred         

Replies: 2 - 11 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42