Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 190 - 199 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #190   Dec 28, 2010 5:35 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Borat,

Those are incredible pictures and they are worth more than thousand posts.  Very majestic and beautiful.  Your pictures remind me of Seattle where I grew up sans the snow.  You are a lucky man!

Thank you.

I'm lucky alright. 

I found that the longer and harder I worked, the luckier I got. 
starwarrior

Reply #191   Dec 28, 2010 9:41 pm
The beauty of market share is that they only have to stay slightly ahead of the competition. As long as market share drives sales, twice the price means they only need to sell half the amount to make the same profit. Where market share really benefits the manufacturer is they only have to incur half the shipping and manufacturing costs.

As a consumer, for twice the service I whould expect twice the price, for better service I figure somewhere in the middle, and for samo samo, I  would expect a competitive price.

Choices Choices Choices, but no Rice-a-Roni's for me, thats my choice. What really lights a fire under me is when sales pitches and marketing drive the sale and the product itself stinks.

I look at what the Pros are using. When price doesn't drive quality does.  

That is why these blogs and product reviews can be so helpfull to a consumer before making a purchase.

Sounds easy but beware, paralysis from analysis can ruin your day.

Starwarrior

P.S. I chose an Ariens Pro

This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by starwarrior
Catt

Reply #192   Dec 28, 2010 10:01 pm
borat wrote:
You're probably right.  I have a Simplicity that has similar performance to the high end Toro and Ariens machines albeit it's built a bit sturdier.  It also throws snow like a champ.   In the first picture, the edge of the driveway where the snow thrower is working is over 70' from the cedars on the right.  The second pic speaks for itself.

Borat,
Those are fantastic pictures! 
borat

Reply #193   Dec 28, 2010 10:24 pm
Catt wrote:
Borat,
Those are fantastic pictures! 

Thanks.

They were actually single frame video captures taken from video shot with a Fuji digital camera.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #194   Dec 28, 2010 10:43 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Hi New_Yorker,

If you can please show us the video of your HS928 blowing that monster snow.  I have seen HS1132 blowing monster snow but not too mcuh on HS928.

I have no one to record me using the machine at present, and the Eastcoast Blizzard wasn't a monster storm, by any means, just monster hype.   Last February we had a Monster storm, it had 3 times what we got this time.  The true test is the heavy wet snow, not the light powder. Most people only show the machine blowing a long high arc of light powder, that's not the kind of snow that separates the men from the boys.  I'll see if I can get a video next time of the towns' HS 928 TAS at work, they've had a few of them and a few of the HS 1132 TAS machines as well.  They recently bought another 1132 as well.
Bill_H

Reply #195   Dec 28, 2010 11:26 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Honda's are The Best.

Do not use the word "best".  They might make the top 3 in homeowner grade blowers, but they would not make the top 10 overall. Many commercial grade blowers will beat it, and it doesn't stand a chance against any industrial grade blower. As you said: "you usually only get what you pay for."

Yamaha has already been mentioned.

Compare your 9HP Honda against (in no particular order):

Berco
Deere
Ingersoll
Contant
R.P.M. Tech
Pronovost
Sicard
Normand
Lorenz
Blanchet
Larue
McKee
International/Case
New Holland
Meteor
Smyth
Kubota
etc. etc. etc.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
borat

Reply #196   Dec 29, 2010 9:38 am
Do not use the word "best".  They might make the top 3 in homeowner grade blowers, but they would not make the top 10 overall. Many commercial grade blowers will beat it, and it doesn't stand a chance against any industrial grade blower. As you said: "you usually only get what you pay for."

Now Bill....

Let's not cloud the issue with facts.  You're ruining the delusion!!!
aa335

Reply #197   Dec 29, 2010 10:04 am
starwarrior wrote:

Choices Choices Choices, but no Rice-a-Roni's for me, thats my choice. What really lights a fire under me is when sales pitches and marketing drive the sale and the product itself stinks.

What exactly are you talking about when you refer to Rice-a-Roni?
aa335

Reply #198   Dec 29, 2010 10:19 am
Bill_H wrote:

Yamaha has already been mentioned.

Compare your 9HP Honda against (in no particular order):

Berco
Deere
Ingersoll
Contant
R.P.M. Tech
Pronovost
Sicard
Normand
Lorenz
Blanchet
Larue
McKee
International/Case
New Holland
Meteor
Smyth
Kubota
etc. etc. etc.

Since the context of this forum focuses on homeowner use and predominantly walk behind type snowblowers, this list is irrelevant.  Deere, Honda, and Yamaha are the only name from above that has a snowblower for homeowner use.
borat

Reply #199   Dec 29, 2010 11:02 am
"Since the context of this forum focuses on homeowner use and predominantly walk behind type snowblowers, this list is irrelevant.  Deere, Honda, and Yamaha are the only name from above that has a snowblower for homeowner use."

I know people with 4WD Kubotas  with heated cab and snow thrower attachments for home use and a guy with a 4WD JD unheated cab with a snow thrower attachment on his.  They use them strictly for home use.  Now they will move a lot of snow in a hurry. 
Replies: 190 - 199 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42