Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Snow Blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jubol

MTD Snow Blowers
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 4:48 pm

How many of you folks out there with MTD snowblowers, have had problems, or no problems?

Let's count and see how :"Junky MTD" does !!, compared to Ariens great QC ! ! ! 

Fred            

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 77 - 86 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
whitedog

cry once when you buy it, not every time you use it!

Re: MTD Snow Blowers
Reply #77   Feb 5, 2005 7:32 pm
Marshall wrote:
Whitedog, thanks for your participation but lets keep it to the subject and not personal.

thank you for your valued opinion

wd

ope: ariens 8524, winco 8kw - b/s vanguard v twin, little giant 5 hp b/s, stihl br-650

the difference between smart and stupid is stupid knows no bounds

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #78   Feb 5, 2005 7:41 pm
Thanks for the contribution.   I'll say thanks to AZinOH, we have this term everytime I use it. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #79   Feb 5, 2005 8:21 pm
i would certainly like to have a HATS machine and will when funds allow for it.

in the mean time my old crafts will do the job well enough.

as far as the mtds of the world i hope folks keep using them.they do indeed fill a need.

there are a lot of them around and they do require a certain amount of repairs .

that being said i will point out a few things that i have learned over the years being fully involved with snowblowers for a very long time (seems like it anyway).

the folks that buy the HATS machines are either ex owners of lesser quality machines ,or they used a HATS machine for a while and wanted one themselves or they did some research and bought the best they could find.

the Hats owners having spent a bit more cash sometimes are a bit more carefull with proper care and service of there machine.this also increases the life of the product.

the mtders of the world seem to not be quite as fussy with maintenence and not so carefull in its use.

im trying not to cast a mold here but these are just some observations i have made.over the years.and i do live in an unusual place most of you arent even shure  where i am .

so the mtders seem to suffer a bit more illuse than the HATS machine

all thats fine with me because without them i wouldnt have a job for very long.

now we all understand that illuse and abuse will destroy even the best machine in short order.

i have learned that a snowblower will not pile your firewood

it will not bring in your saturday paper.

it will not rearrange your paving stones.

it will not take out the trash .

it will however always find the chain that just fell off its own tire on the last pass.

it will peel the bumper cover off your neighbors car.

it will eat the hose on your barbecue.

it will find your door mat .

it will get your extension cord .

on and on.

also sometimes the mtders last a very long time.

so i wonder is it really the machine always ...nope

more often than not it is operator error.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #80   Feb 5, 2005 8:40 pm
I agree they (MTD, Murray (RIP) and AYP) are machines that fill a space in the market.

Any and every brand will have a quality problem crop in the field from time to time. It happens to auto makers all the time.  No sampling plan can compare with mass use. With Gilson the year or the UniTrol chute ring welds comes to mind as well as the time a supplier changed the plating on idler rollers and the oil impreganted bushings all cooked in a few hours.

Sure there are construction details we can talk about but the real test is to take a population of machines MTD & SATH (my preferred order) and check on them 2 or 3 decades latter.

Pete

robmints

Reply #81   Feb 5, 2005 8:48 pm

You mean people with hats don't tend to lend their machines out to be driven through the woods to another house? And since the shear bolts broke and the sticks that replaced the shear bolts broke, regular mild steel bolts aren't put in to clear an unpaved drive of 30 inches of middle Atlantic slop?  My bad, stupid questions. The only hats that would have had a chance would be a Honda track. Nothing else would have had enough tracton and weight transfer.

If you need to ask, yes, I'm one of those people that keeps you in boom trucks.
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #82   Feb 5, 2005 8:50 pm
Gilsons wrote:
I agree they (MTD, Murray (RIP) and AYP) are machines that fill a space in the market.

Any and every brand will have a quality problem crop in the field from time to time. It happens to auto makers all the time.  No sampling plan can compare with mass use. With Gilson the year or the UniTrol chute ring welds comes to mind as well as the time a supplier changed the plating on idler rollers and the oil impreganted bushings all cooked in a few hours.

Sure there are construction details we can talk about but the real test is to take a population of machines MTD & SATH (my preferred order) and check on them 2 or 3 decades latter.

Pete

Pete,

I'll settle for five-ten years, and I hope we're all still around to have that debate.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

navihawk

Reply #83   Feb 5, 2005 9:00 pm
Hey Pete,(you'll always be Spectrum to me)......I don't agree,I think murray will be around for a while.I think their engineering is OK.They may not use the best parts, but the ones they use do the trick and aren't terribly hard to replace.
Gilsons

Let it snow, in southern Maine

Reply #84   Feb 6, 2005 7:52 am
navihawk wrote:
Hey Pete,(you'll always be Spectrum to me)......I don't agree,I think murray will be around for a while.I think their engineering is OK.They may not use the best parts, but the ones they use do the trick and aren't terribly hard to replace.

Murray is in bancruptcy right now. They owe B&S a ton of money and it looks like B&S is getting control. Time will tell.

Pete

jubol

Reply #85   Feb 6, 2005 8:32 am
 Gilsons,

I read somewhere just recently that B & S now owns Murray.

Briggs said that they will most likely close the Lawrenceville Tn plant in about 18 months.

Fred                    

This message was modified Feb 6, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Cajunblu

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Reply #86   Feb 6, 2005 10:41 am
I have a Craftsman 888531 MTD, and with the exception of tightening the auger cable last year and the skid shoes wearing out after one season I havent had any problems with it these past two winters. (Believe me that baby got a work out these past two storms totaling 36 plus inches) This machune has done its job, and done it very well.

Robert

Craftsman 888531 9/28 Easy Steer.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles,
and the letters get in the wrong places"

Replies: 77 - 86 of 86Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42