Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower headlights

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Snowblower headlights
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 4:19 pm
Is there any point in having an extra headlight available or are these items that will last years at a time? I know there are a lot of variables, but if I was to use the machine an average of 25 hours a season, I’m wondering what the life of the bulb would be and when I’d want to get a spare. Would appreciate comments from the snowblower veterans.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Snowblower headlights
Reply #1   Jan 28, 2005 4:33 pm
Hi Jonathan,

I don't know what type of headlight your snowblower has, so I can only comment on my Toro 828 LXE.  It has a Halogen 20 watt bulb that is actually the same bulb I use in much of my out door 12 volt landscape lighting in front of our home.  To give you an example how long these bulbs will last until replacement, I installed this latest system in early April 2004 and run them about 6+ hours a night, every night.  It's January 28, 2005, and have not had to replace a single halogen bulb yet.  Most are the 20 watt variety, a few are 35 watts and a few more are 50 watts.  As with all things, if they are knocked hard when in use, or something falls on your snowblower headlight, well, anything can happen at that point.  It is also possible to get a bulb that may burn out in 6 months due to a defect.  The upside is they are usually less than $5.00 per bulb.  Hope this helps your decision.  BTW...a 20 watt Halogen headlight is plenty bright.

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #2   Jan 28, 2005 4:47 pm
Hi...

For me... if I used the snowblower in the dark even some of the time and needed light...

...I'd have a spare bulb on hand...

If it's gonna fail... it will likely be when there's a snowstorm and the machine is being used...
...not the best time to run to the store... if their open...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jan 28, 2005 6:42 pm
The Ariens run regular automotive bulbs.  I understand this to be part #1156 at an auto store.  Same as a brake light bulb.  How long do your brake lights last?  Keep an extra pack on hand, I do. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #4   Jan 28, 2005 8:11 pm
Thanks for your all your comments. I hadn't realized that the bulb could be replaced in the same way as a car headlight. That makes it easy. I don't know why Ariens doesn't have a light switch to turn it off during the day, but I suppose there may be some advantage to having the light on all the time to make the machine visible when out by the road.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Jonathan

Reply #5   Jan 28, 2005 8:33 pm
Ajace,

Per Ariens Parts Radar it is the 1156 for my model. Thanks again for your help.

Jonathan

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #6   Jan 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Snow never falls at night......

Snow never knocks out power lol.....

Some will argue that the low watts of the headlight on a snowblower is only useful for alerting oncoming traffic to your presence.....  If that is the case it is already too late.....

Ever try to blow snow in pitch black?  I have, a candle will help lol...It is impossible and totally unsafe.

I have in the past sounded like a broken record and said get a headlight for your snowblower and second, unplug it when not in use.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42