Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 158 - 167 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #158   Dec 27, 2010 9:33 am
I used a piece of Wacky Karpet/Krazy Carpet or some goofy name like that. 

It's a piece of plastic that textured on the back and very slick on the bottom.  It's a kid's toy used for sliding down hills in the winter.  Cost about $8.00 and can be found at places like Walmart and Canadian Tire.  Possibly elsewhere that winter outdoor sleds/toys are sold.  It's tough stuff and easy to work with.

I didn't line my chute to improve snow throwing distance, although, I'm pretty sure it does.  I lined the chute to keep winter control material (gravel/sand/salt) etc. from stripping the paint.  It's a bit of a job to measure, cut and install, but once it's done, it will last a long time.  If a second liner ever needs to be made/installed, it will be much easier to do because the first liner can be used as a template.   I also added a thin piece of stainless steel plate to protect the deflector. 

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by borat
snowmachine

Reply #159   Dec 27, 2010 12:12 pm
Nice.   That might be in my future mod list.
borat

Reply #160   Dec 27, 2010 12:13 pm
snowmachine wrote:
Has anyone seen the new Yamaha's close up? IMO they visually appear more stout than the Hondas. Of course I'd have to drive up to BC to buy one but that isn't that far from me. I was trying to see if their axle was locked like the Hondas or if they had some form of steering on the lower end models. I'll look around... I think there may have been some discussion last year on them,

I might have to buy a Yamaha just to put a "smack down" on the Honda blow-hards!!!
tkrotchko

Reply #161   Dec 27, 2010 12:14 pm
borat wrote:
I used a piece of Wacky Karpet/Krazy Carpet or some goofy name like that. 

What did you use to fasten it to the chute?
borat

Reply #162   Dec 27, 2010 12:18 pm
The chute had two small hole at the bottom front.  I used those with a rivet/screw.  At the top, I used the bolt hole and bolt that controls the arc of the deflector.  That's all it needs to hold it firmly in place. 
aa335

Reply #163   Dec 27, 2010 1:39 pm
borat wrote:
I might have to buy a Yamaha just to put a "smack down" on the Honda blow-hards!!!

If you can't beat them, join them.  :)

Besides the differences in paint, they do have common design philosophy.  I'm not talking about reasonable prices, tough cast iron gearboxes, and C channel handlebars.  :)

Please do get one.  I wouldn't mind Honda getting some competition so they can get back on the ball.  It's lonely at the top. 
borat

Reply #164   Dec 27, 2010 2:24 pm
aa335 wrote:

Besides the differences in paint, they do have common design philosophy.  I'm not talking about reasonable prices, tough cast iron gearboxes, and C channel handlebars.  :)

Please do get one.  I wouldn't mind Honda getting some competition so they can get back on the ball.  It's lonely at the top. 

If you can't beat them? 

By the looks of the Yamaha, I would doubt that there would be too much of an issue "beating" a Honda.    The Yamaha appears to out-class the Honda in every aspect. 

Problem is that the Simplicity is such a joy to own and use, it would be difficult to give it up and I doubt it will be crapping out within then next twenty years or so. 

In addition to that, I'd have to relax my fiscal discipline to indulge in such frivolous spending.  However, that would be easier to do than waiting for the Simplicity to expire.  

In the meantime, I'll keep my vanity in check and go with what I have. 
Catt

Reply #165   Dec 27, 2010 2:44 pm
aa335 wrote:

Pretty funny... One thing about this site with mixing of all of the brands, it's very easy to do a little pot stirring. 
aa335

Reply #166   Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm
This thread was started a year ago.  Lots of lively heated debate to keep us warm while we wait for the snow to arrive.

Notice how the pot cools down over the summer and then on Dec 17, 2010, someone picks up a log and a gallon of gasoline and throws in the fire to get it to boil again.   :)
This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #167   Dec 27, 2010 9:48 pm
Ah the great thing about Toro is they have a plastic chute already and yes you can hear gravel being spat out of it every so often. Really nice having a plastic chute, stock.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 158 - 167 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42