Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HONDA Snowblower LED Light HS 928TAS

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

HONDA Snowblower LED Light HS 928TAS
Original Message   Dec 23, 2010 1:52 pm
O-K, the light kit that is sold as an 'Accessory' for the Honda Snowblowers comes with a standard 12 V sealed beam, like the old car headlights of yesteryear. But it IS Halogen as Honda says, a $10.00 dollar GE Par36 50 Watt bulb that puts out 300 Lumens.  It is in fact manufactured for this and many other applications by a company named (PM) Peterson Manufacturing, (www.pmlights.com)   They list the light in its rubber weather and vibration resistant mount as a Model 507, and if you go to www.foxtaillights.com they sell it for about 30 bucks, without the special HONDA snowblower bracket you need to mount it to the Honda snowblower, for the kit that Honda sells that includes this expect to pay $ 60.00 buckaroos.   Now IF, like me, You want to install a light more modern, capable and bright here's what you do.  You again go to FoxTailLights.com, and buy the PM model 907 light with 10 LED Diodes to light your way and an estimated 100,000 hour durability and an output of 1000 Lumens  . . . that light with the same rubber mount sells for $ 72.00 plus shipping and anything else they can add. 

The light kit, like the Commercial Skid Shoes is supplied with the electroplated zinc, Guaranteed to RUST in record time, bolts, nuts & washers.  If you don't like rust on your new snowblower go to www.allensfasteners.com and replace the HONDA QuickRust hardware with some Stainless Steel.

Incidentally the Peterson Manufacturing (PM) Technical rep said that the OEM accesory light they supply Honda, the 50watt 12V sealed bean requires 2.54 amps, the new LED unit needs just  .51 amps to operate, so the extra power to run the switch is not going to be a problem.  Just make sure the unit gets as good a ground contact as you can or it might  not work. 

PM makes a stick-on reflective in either amber or red they call them "Spitfires", IMHO they are the brightest reflectors I've ever seen should anyone need such a thing.

This message was modified Jan 7, 2011 by New_Yorker
Replies: 39 - 48 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bob1459

It all started with a mouse

Re: HONDA Snowblower LED Light HS 928TAS
Reply #39   Feb 10, 2011 11:45 am
aa335 wrote:
That would be great.  I'm also interested in seeing what kind of light pattern those LED lights cast.   Also, does it light up when the engine is at idle?  What throttle position does the LED come on or get full brightness?  I wonder if the light have some sort of voltage regulator circuitry.

The light pattern is more focused out front.  Light worked just as before.  Full throttle its bright and low throttle is dimmer.  Stays lit at idel.  When I pulled the light out of the housing it was a small disc sealed.  It does not flicker.  PM said its a direct replacement of the 507 and it comes with a 5 year warranty.  On a side note, can I get this board to email me when someone posts to this thread?  Can't seem to find that option here.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2011 by bob1459
bob1459

Reply #40   Feb 11, 2011 12:43 pm
Here are some pictures

Steve_Cebu

Reply #41   Feb 11, 2011 1:45 pm
bob1459 wrote:
Here are some pictures

Great Pics! Have you had any trouble with the LED light when it's really cold?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
bob1459

Reply #42   Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Great Pics! Have you had any trouble with the LED light when it's really cold?

No trouble...I installed on a 20 degree day too.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #43   Feb 11, 2011 10:32 pm
bob1459 wrote:
No trouble...I installed on a 20 degree day too.

I meant a cold day like we get around here.   Right now it's about 6 degrees and often below zero with the wind blowing. Brrrrrr..

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
bob1459

Reply #44   Feb 12, 2011 1:02 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I meant a cold day like we get around here.   Right now it's about 6 degrees and often below zero with the wind blowing. Brrrrrr..

I don't think the cold will  be a problem.  We get those days here too, but I have not had to use the snow blower with the new light in that condition yet.  Plus I usually start it in the garage first anyway.  I don't shut it off unitl its back in either.  Unless I run out of gas. Is it worth spending the money on it if your light is working?  No...When the light fails, time for the upgrade.  I have had mine for 10 years and the mount broke.  Never had to replace the light bulb on the 507.
bob1459

Reply #45   Feb 12, 2011 1:08 pm
This message was modified Feb 12, 2011 by bob1459
Steve_Cebu

Reply #46   Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm
bob1459 wrote:
I don't think the cold will  be a problem.  We get those days here too, but I have not had to use the snow blower with the new light in that condition yet.  Plus I usually start it in the garage first anyway.  I don't shut it off unitl its back in either.  Unless I run out of gas. Is it worth spending the money on it if your light is working?  No...When the light fails, time for the upgrade.  I have had mine for 10 years and the mount broke.  Never had to replace the light bulb on the 507.

Yeah i would think if it's time to replace the light then LED might be the way to go.

aa335

Reply #47   Feb 14, 2011 3:58 pm
bob1459 wrote:
Here are some pictures

Thanks Bob,

I'd consider this lightset when my factory installed one fails.
Modine1

Reply #48   Feb 21, 2014 5:46 pm
I installed the 907 LED on my Honda HS 828, as a replacement for the 507 halogen bulb, which gave up after 20 seasons.  Red to power, white to ground, soldered bayonet connectors onto the previous setup for quick connections.  Fired it up, works FINE.  Bright at idle, too!

So far, I am a happy camper!

Replies: 39 - 48 of 48Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42