Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 138 - 147 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #138   Dec 23, 2010 8:21 am
Never forget if you have the Cash nothing is overpriced. I would never buy a new snowblower waste of money. Look in Craigs or Kijijij and you can buy 2 or 3 year old units for a 1/3 of the price of New and they will blow like a new bride.

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
borat

Reply #139   Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am
"Never forget if you have the Cash nothing is overpriced."

I couldn't disagree more.

Have you ever heard the term "A fool and his money are easily parted?"   That term would pretty much apply to the above philosophy. 

Most people with money do not prescribe to that concept.  That's why they have money. 

starwarrior

Reply #140   Dec 23, 2010 11:23 am
I have not had much luck finding 3 year old snowblowers for sale.

Most from the days of old and some quite worn out but newer units are generally handed down or sold to neighbors rather than sold online. A rare and lucky find if you act fast.

I do disagree also, If price were not an issue, snow removal efforts would be contracted to a dedicated service rather than a cold weather exercise routine for the cousin Eddie's of the world.

I am as motivated and enthusiastic as anyone just to get out there and enjoy the briskness of a snowfall but after the first storm or so, unless there is an absence of brain activity the fun part of a snow storm is dedicated to snowball fights, ski enthusiasts, sleighs, igloos, and snow angels, not shoveling snow.

In respect to worn out engines Trouts2,  a 10 year old unit amounts to nothing in terms of operating hours for the average homeowner regardless of where they live.

These engines can handle thousands of operating hours, if they are maintained properly.

Starwarrior

p.s.      Ask our midwestern friends how much fun they are having this year.

This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by starwarrior
tkrotchko

Reply #141   Dec 23, 2010 4:19 pm
starwarrior wrote:
I have not had much luck finding 3 year old snowblowers for sale.

Most from the days of old and some quite worn out but newer units are generally handed down or sold to neighbors rather than sold online. A rare and lucky find if you act fast.

I do disagree also, If price were not an issue, snow removal efforts would be contracted to a dedicated service rather than a cold weather exercise routine for the cousin Eddie's of the world.

I am as motivated and enthusiastic as anyone just to get out there and enjoy the briskness of a snowfall but after the first storm or so, unless there is an absence of brain activity the fun part of a snow storm is dedicated to snowball fights, ski enthusiasts, sleighs, igloos, and snow angels, not shoveling snow.

In respect to worn out engines Trouts2,  a 10 year old unit amounts to nothing in terms of operating hours for the average homeowner regardless of where they live.

These engines can handle thousands of operating hours, if they are maintained properly.

Starwarrior

p.s.      Ask our midwestern friends how much fun they are having this year.

My experience is the engines are the most reliable parts of the snowblower.

What I had to replace:

1) Cables

2) Springs

3) The bolts that held the handle to the body (sheared off after 13 years of muscling the thing around. Great fun getting them out mid-snowstorm

4) Plastic drive wheels

5) Friction wheels overheating after 5-6 hours of continuous use (we could argue if I exceeded the design characteristics of the the drivetrain and I'll accept your judgement either way).

What I did not have a problem with was belts. The MTD had dual auger belts and although I replaced them ever few years, they were still good. The mechanism inside was built to last longer than me. The core of the MTD was rock solid, but the little doo-dads that attached and made the thing functional were a problem.

This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by tkrotchko
starwarrior

Reply #142   Dec 23, 2010 7:17 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Tkrotchko and starwarrior,

It would be interesting for you guys to later post how you judge your current machines to your old MTD tracks after a number of outings.  Handling and bite will surely be different but just how much and worth the price, advantages, disadvantages & etc.  You’ll both have new engines with full compression and remembering old tired motors. 

Hey Trouts2,

I am surely looking forward to making a comparison. Not only the difference in how much better (or worse) the new one will eat and spit out the the snow but also how it handles.

I really was extremely satisfied with the MTD Track manuverability and quite honestly after 14 years of service, the machine doesn't owe me a dime.

A unit that was built 14 years ago offshore would genrally not stand up to the domestic heavyweights but let me tell you, this MTD really did hold it's own.

I will surely keep you all posted. All we need now is snow here in New Jersey so I can report a real assesment.

Starwarrior

P.S.

Merry Christmas  ~~~ >)))'> ~~~  >)))'> ~~~  >)))'> 

tkrotchko

Reply #143   Dec 23, 2010 7:54 pm
starwarrior wrote:
A unit that was built 14 years ago offshore would genrally not stand up to the domestic heavyweights but let me tell you, this MTD really did hold it's own.

I will surely keep you all posted. All we need now is snow here in New Jersey so I can report a real assesment.

Starwarrior

P.S.

Merry Christmas  ~~~ >)))'> ~~~  >)))'> ~~~  >)))'> 

I think Hondas are made overseas ;)

That said, after I get some snow here in MD, I will post a full report comparing and contrasting.

My only reference point is my son who looked it over and said "Whoa, dad, this thing is built like a tank compared to the last one".

starwarrior

Reply #144   Dec 23, 2010 9:39 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
I think Hondas are made overseas ;)

That said, after I get some snow here in MD, I will post a full report comparing and contrasting.

My only reference point is my son who looked it over and said "Whoa, dad, this thing is built like a tank compared to the last one".

Yea and they burn rice. Honda was no doubt the exception to the rule.

They wrote the book on precision machines way back and raised the bar on the entire yard equipment industry.

Yamaha has some pretty impressive machines on the market also.

Ok so you have a manual automatic model too. That one is better than all the snowblowers in existance.  LOL

We do need a reference, They have forcasted the possibility Sunday night into Monday. So far in Central Jersey we have had a total of 1" which wasn't worthy of even firing it up.

It will happen and when it does we are without a doubt both locked and loaded.

Have a nice Holiday

Starwarrior

This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by starwarrior
tkrotchko

Reply #145   Dec 23, 2010 9:59 pm
starwarrior wrote:
Have a nice Holiday

Starwarrior

To you too. Its nice chatting with you guys.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #146   Dec 23, 2010 11:04 pm
joed wrote:
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?

Honda Snowblowers are just the best quality, and when has " The BEST " ever been cheap ?  Buy 1 machine that will last you a lifetime, the HONDA HS snowblower !
borat

Reply #147   Dec 24, 2010 10:01 am
New_Yorker wrote:
Honda Snowblowers are just the best quality, and when has " The BEST " ever been cheap ?  Buy 1 machine that will last you a lifetime, the HONDA HS snowblower !

Is this your first Honda?  Have you even used it yet?

By the way, from looking at what Yamaha has to offer, I'd say they are likely superior to Honda. 

That would be my choice if I were in the mood to spend money needlessly.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2010 by borat
Replies: 138 - 147 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42