Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Powermax Snowblower (828 lxe, 1028 lxe, 1128 lxe) Drive Disengages Intermittently

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snoworld

Toro Powermax Snowblower (828 lxe, 1028 lxe, 1128 lxe) Drive Disengages Intermittently
Original Message   Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm
I have used several different kinds of snowblowers over the past several years. I live in a Town that receives 175" average snowfall in the winter, snowblowers are very common place here.  I purchased a Toro Powermax 1028 lxe (2008 model) in February of 2008. After 2.5 winters of use I have found one major flaw with this machine. The problem is the drive wheels disengage and stop turning at intermittent times for short periods. This problem could not be demonstrated to a service technician, because this problem would only occur with certain snow conditions. I decided to take upon myself the time to determine the problem. After hours of looking at the functioning of the components, studying the service manual and with trail and error, I believe I found the problem. Apparently during powdery snow conditions, some of the powder snow that is thrown by the machine will blow back onto the snowblower inundating the engine and belt cover with powdery snow. When the snow melts onto the chassis of the machine, the water will drip down into the belt area of the machine inside the chassis and onto the friction disc or other associated components. When the friction disc becomes slightly wet it slips causing the drive wheels to stop turning. If I push the machine forward the friction disc will dry and eventually start to grab and rotate the wheels again. When I discovered this problem, I discussed it with a service technician. The technician told me about a service bulletin regarding this problem and a part that should help fix the problem. The part was installed onto the snowblower and the problem appears to be better, but there are still instances that the drive wheels will stop turning. Again, if I push the machine forward the friction disc will eventually grab and the wheels will turn. This is an awesome machine, it is too bad that a small oversight in the design of the machine can cause a problem like this. It appears that if the belt cover was designed better something like this would not cause this kind of problem. I was wondering if Toro has changed the design of the belt cover to fix this problem? Apparently the Service Bulletin repair is not a cure all for this issue.      

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42