Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Made the engine swap on my Ariens.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Made the engine swap on my Ariens.
Original Message   Dec 19, 2010 10:00 pm
It went pretty well.  The motor bracket for the powered chute cleared by about a 1/4" so I didn't have to modify that. That was an unknown.
Battery hook up was pretty simple. It's pretty cool to just turn the key and have the thing fire up. Added a larger light, kind or a last minute thing. I had the light and everything else I needed.
But will still at some point be putting on either a 30 watt Halogen or LED.  I'd like something with a smaller housing.
Remote throttle works well, did have to tighten up the return spring a little.

The new engine with it's larger tank and air cleaner housing looks huge compared to the old 10hp Tecumseh.
It hasn't sunk in yet that this project is completed. I started looking for engines and planning this about a year ago.

Now all I need is some snow, a lot of snow.  I live in Michigan about 300 miles north of Chicago.  Had some snow but not as much as some other areas.  But I'm right on the lake so you can get dumped on any time.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2010 by jrtrebor
Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Made the engine swap on my Ariens.
Reply #3   Dec 19, 2010 11:49 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I

Now all I need is some snow, a lot of snow.  I live in Michigan about 300 miles north of Chicago.  Had some snow but not as much as some other areas.  But I'm right on the lake so you can get dumped on any time.

Wow, nice restore and repower.  The platform looks pretty nice too.  All you need now is a parachute and it's ready to be air dropped out the back of a C130 military transport plane.

I love the electric gizmos.  Battery start and electric chute rotation.
starwarrior

Reply #4   Dec 20, 2010 2:27 am
Nice work...... I like the motor drive chute conversion.

Starwarrior.

borat

Reply #5   Dec 20, 2010 9:27 am
Very nice indeed. 

What/how is the chute rotation controlled?  I see the mechanism but I don't see a crank nor a motor on the end.
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Dec 20, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks for all your comments !
shryp
- The orange bar holds a windshield that I made. The bottom of the windshield has ears that slide behind those knobs.
 You slip on the windshield tighten down the knobs an connect the rear braces.
When we get some snow I'm going to try and shoot some video of the blower working.

aa335 - I had to laugh at your comment. I was in the Air Force and your right it does look like an air drop package.
I was going to post a thread on the set up you see for holding down the blower in the trailer.

borat - It is kind of hard to see in the photo where the control rod goes. There are some better photos further down on the page.

Four way Joy stick for controlling Chute rotation and Deflector angle.

aa335

Reply #7   Dec 20, 2010 2:14 pm
jrtrebor wrote:

Thanks for all your comments !
shryp
- The orange bar holds a windshield that I made. The bottom of the windshield has ears that slide behind those knobs.
 You slip on the windshield tighten down the knobs an connect the rear braces.
When we get some snow I'm going to try and shoot some video of the blower working.

aa335 - I had to laugh at your comment. I was in the Air Force and your right it does look like an air drop package.
I was going to post a thread on the set up you see for holding down the blower in the trailer.

That windscreen looks like riot gear.  Just paint the snowblower white and you're ready for UN peace keeping mission.

Have you used it in the snow yet?  The windscreen doesn't have any wrap around and you may get snow build up on both sides.  Also, you may have to tilt it forward to minimize build up, similar to the windscreens on battleships.
jrtrebor

Reply #8   Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm
No, I really haven't gotten to use it yet.  And to tell you the truth I'm really not expecting much out of it.
Maybe just keeping snow from blowing directly back in my face. Your right that I may get snow on both sides.
I guess the type of snow will be the biggest factor in whether or not that happens.
I'm just north of you up around Grand Haven. I think you've had the same hit and miss storm season we've had.
aa335

Reply #9   Dec 20, 2010 4:29 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I'm just north of you up around Grand Haven. I think you've had the same hit and miss storm season we've had.

According to the Farmer's Almanac prediction for this year, the west is supposed to gets lots of rain, the east lots of snow, and the midwest lots of cold.  I think mother nature needs to have a talk with old man winter because I got two snowblowers that needs action, and I got to brush up on my rear wheel drive snow driving technique.  Drifting on salt powder doesnt count.
chefwong

Reply #10   Dec 22, 2010 11:01 am
Looking good Jtrebor. Thanks for sharing.
Love the ingenuity, craftsmanship, and all out ~modding~....

Keep the postings going. Love the inspiration.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #11   Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm
Yes, very nice modding indeed, everything looks almost OEM. I see you added the battery holder, modded the belt cover, added some protection for the starter assy and a cover for the carb. We need some all round shots of the carb cover especially.
Is it an 11 or a 13HP?

Cheers

GtWtNorth

Reply #12   Dec 22, 2010 5:55 pm
OOPS, never mind the pictures, I just found your other post. it was me asking about Honda clones in the cold.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by GtWtNorth

Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42