Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Original Message   Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am
I picked up this old 1983 Toro Power Shovel for dirt cheap.  I found some info on the internet, took it apart to inspect/clean/adjust/lubricate.  Put it all back together and gave it a test run.  These things are incredible!  We've had some serious heavy wet snow here recently.  Not real big dumps.  Maybe 3 to 4 inches at a time.  Certainly deep and wet enough to be difficult to shovel.   I bought this thing for clearing off our fairly large deck.  Couldn't be happier with it's performance.  Why Toro ever stop making these with the gas engine is beyond me.   For it's diminutive size, and little 21cc two stroke engine, this thing can move a lot of snow. 

Replies: 15 - 24 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Reply #15   Dec 6, 2010 11:14 am
superbuick wrote:
Borat - I will gladly snap you a few photos. Look for a posting soon.

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

Hasn't snowed here in a while.  Getting a little antsy. 
This message was modified Dec 6, 2010 by borat
aa335

Reply #16   Dec 6, 2010 5:17 pm
5 inches in Chicago this past Saturday.  Wet and heavy kind.  Cleared the neighbor's sidewalks too, about 5 houses worth, just extra 5 minutes to do.  Now it's really cold, temps in the teens.

Expecting some more snow on Thursday.  Hopefully it's a good amount and not so cold.   I got Friday off so bring on the snow.  :)
This message was modified Dec 6, 2010 by aa335
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #17   Dec 6, 2010 6:31 pm
I picked one up today in very good running condition @ $110.00 wheel kit included. Here are the photos Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by hirschallan

superbuick

Reply #18   Dec 7, 2010 9:03 am
Great find/buy Hirschallan.  Thanks for the pics, too.  These things are so rare and tough to find - you got a nice one.  You can clean that handle up real easily with some steel wool and WD40 if you want to bring back the shine.

How does it run?

Borat - I assume these pictures will suffice?  Let me know if you need some different angles or whatever though, and I'll be glad to snap them for you.
borat

Reply #19   Dec 7, 2010 9:23 am
Nice find indeed. 

Excellent pics.  They are more than sufficient.  Thanks a million. 

The wheel assembly looks complicated to reproduce.  Certainly looks very robust and well designed.   I doubt that I will try to copy it.  Now that I have an idea of the geometry, I'll have to start looking around for some stuff to fab something a lot simpler.

The unit I bought for $50.00 was virtually new.   When I first got it, the pull start wasn't working right.  It took a very fast pull to get the engagement palls to throw out to connect with the starter cap.   The rope was still white and it was fairly stiff.  I suspect that the previous owner couldn't get the pull start to fire up the engine and just put the machine away very early in it's life.   This thing is close to being mint.  I completely pulled it apart, inspected/cleaned, lubed where required and sprayed some WD-40 under the engine starter cap.  That's all it took to loosen up the palls.  Thing fires up easily now and runs like a charm.  No belts on this thing.  All nylon gears.   These things will last  even with minimum maintenance.  Take car of the engine and it will probably be a lifer.  Not too many parts are available for these things.  Fortunately, the wear items can still be had.  We can still get rotors and scrapers for them.
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by borat
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #20   Dec 7, 2010 10:12 am
Borat, As you can see in the pics the last two pics the springs are a little wet due to a small gas drip. Need to rip it apart to get to that. Also look at the pics and you will see the wheels have 2 positions it can be at. One bringing the wheels closer to the body and the other pushing them away. Not sure why. You also mentioned you got info off the web when you got yours. Can you please let me know where that was. Thanks,Allan
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by hirschallan

aa335

Reply #21   Dec 7, 2010 10:25 am
That is one robustly built power shovel.  Thanks for all those pics, hirshallan.  Does it have a replaceable scraper bar?  What is the function of those springs?

Now I definitely want to get my hands on one.  Makes a great restoration project.

Anyone guess on why Toro stopped making these after a few years?  Is it the cost?
borat

Reply #22   Dec 7, 2010 10:40 am
aa335 wrote:
That is one robustly built power shovel.  Thanks for all those pics, hirshallan.  Does it have a replaceable scraper bar?  What is the function of those springs?

Now I definitely want to get my hands on one.  Makes a great restoration project.

Anyone guess on why Toro stopped making these after a few years?  Is it the cost?

This is where I got most of my info:

I've tried numerous times to insert addresses as a link and it just never works.  Am I the only one having this problem?

The link below has nice diagrams etc. and show availability of parts.  Not too many available but the highest wear item parts can still be had.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=38350%2C+Gas+Power+Shovel+Snowthrower%2C+1984+%28SN+4000001-4999999%29

Scraper bar is replaceable as is the rotor.

They only made them for three years.  1983 to 1985.  Could have been something to do with the EPA and two cycle engines.   I've actually been toying with the idea of putting a chainsaw engine on an electric snow shove.   Get some sprockets and bicycle chain, mount the saw engine on the handles, line up the sprockets, put the chain on and see how it goes!
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by borat
aa335

Reply #23   Dec 7, 2010 10:54 am
borat wrote:
This is where I got most of my info:

I've tried numerous times to insert addresses as a link and it just never works.  Am I the only one having this problem?

The link below has nice diagrams etc. and show availability of parts.  Not too many available but the highest wear item parts can still be had.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=38350%2C+Gas+Power+Shovel+Snowthrower%2C+1984+%28SN+4000001-4999999%29

Scraper bar is replaceable as is the rotor.

They only made them for three years.  1983 to 1985.  Could have been something to do with the EPA and two cycle engines.   I've actually been toying with the idea of putting a chainsaw engine on an electric snow shove.   Get some sprockets and bicycle chain, mount the saw engine on the handles, line up the sprockets, put the chain on and see how it goes!

I was having the same problems using Firefox on the mac.  Simply edit the link and paste it in the field second time, before you submit the post.  It should work that way.

Looks like there's only a handful of replacement parts available from that website.  I guess support for this product is very minimal at best.

I do like the current model electric Toro Power Shovel with the newer curved rotor.  I had thought about putting a 2 cycle string trimmer engine to it.  Is a chainsaw engine more compact and lighter?
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by aa335
borat

Reply #24   Dec 7, 2010 11:24 am
Not sure what you mean by "edit the link"?    Would you please elaborate a bit on that?   I'm also using Firefox on a Mac. 

I doubt that a chainsaw engine would be as compact or lighter.   They're just a lot more readily available around here.  I see numerous chainsaws selling very cheaply and virtually no operational trimmers or any other two cycle engine source equipment.  The electric power shovels have double down tubes for the handle.  One could put a cross piece in between to mount an engine on.   It would be nice however if the the rotational direction of the power source was compatible with the rotation of the rotor on the power shovel.   Otherwise.......
Replies: 15 - 24 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42