Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Original Message   Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am
I picked up this old 1983 Toro Power Shovel for dirt cheap.  I found some info on the internet, took it apart to inspect/clean/adjust/lubricate.  Put it all back together and gave it a test run.  These things are incredible!  We've had some serious heavy wet snow here recently.  Not real big dumps.  Maybe 3 to 4 inches at a time.  Certainly deep and wet enough to be difficult to shovel.   I bought this thing for clearing off our fairly large deck.  Couldn't be happier with it's performance.  Why Toro ever stop making these with the gas engine is beyond me.   For it's diminutive size, and little 21cc two stroke engine, this thing can move a lot of snow. 

Replies: 5 - 14 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: 1983 Toro Power Shovel Anyone ever use or own one?
Reply #5   Dec 3, 2010 10:49 am
Yeah, those were awesome videos.  I like how powerful they are without electrical cords getting in the way.
borat

Reply #6   Dec 3, 2010 11:18 am
As much as I like it, I'd love to find a wheel kit for it. 

Anyone out there know of a kit looking for a machine to put it on?
aa335

Reply #7   Dec 3, 2010 11:21 am
Funny you should say "wheel kit".   I was thinking if I wanted a wheel kit for it, it would become a Toro S-200 with vanes.  I mean after using the power shovel for some time, it may become tiring and I might want it to move a little smoother or maybe pull itself forward.

Do you think a pair of skids would work better than wheels?
This message was modified Dec 3, 2010 by aa335
borat

Reply #8   Dec 3, 2010 2:24 pm
"Do you think a pair of skids would work better than wheels?"

I'm not sure how skids would do.  I suspect that they might interfere with the skid plate on the bottom of the machine.  The wheels allow the machine to tilt forward for full contact of the skid plate then angle back to lift it completely off the surface.   If skids were to be used, they'd have to circular and positioned similar to the wheels to get the same effect.

I saw the video of a guy using a wheeled power shovel and it sure looked like the way to go. 
superbuick

Reply #9   Dec 3, 2010 5:46 pm
The wheel kit definitely makes a huge difference. The video you saw is at my friends house, his unit has the wheel kit. Mine does not, and it is not as easy or convenient to use as the one with the wheel kit. Mind you, its still great, the wheels just make it better. I had a thought similar you yours aa335, but after trying his unit with the wheels I was sold on it.
borat

Reply #10   Dec 3, 2010 6:23 pm
Yeah.  It's a pretty sweet deal the way it is.  Wheels would be too good to be true. 

I haven't ruled out fabbing something myself.    I'm going to look around for a couple small stroller wheels, some high tensile stainless steel strapping to mount a ss axle.  Figuring out the geometry will be the tough part. 

Superbuick:  Is there any way you can get a couple picks of your friend's power shovel with the wheel kit so that I can see how things line up?  If possible, it would be greatly appreciated. 
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #11   Dec 5, 2010 9:41 pm
borat wrote:
Yeah.  It's a pretty sweet deal the way it is.  Wheels would be too good to be true. 

I haven't ruled out fabbing something myself.    I'm going to look around for a couple small stroller wheels, some high tensile stainless steel strapping to mount a ss axle.  Figuring out the geometry will be the tough part. 

Superbuick:  Is there any way you can get a couple picks of your friend's power shovel with the wheel kit so that I can see how things line up?  If possible, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Borat, Going to look at one tomorrow possibly with the wheel kit included. What would you say is a fair price for a good condition unit,original owner with manual? If I get it I'll shoot some pics for you.

borat

Reply #12   Dec 5, 2010 9:53 pm
Now that I know how well they work, I'd pay $100.00 for a good one even without wheels.  With wheels would be a real bonus.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #13   Dec 5, 2010 9:58 pm
borat wrote:
Now that I know how well they work, I'd pay $100.00 for a good one even without wheels.  With wheels would be a real bonus.

I'll keep you informed. Thats what I was thinking about. I will see what tomorrow brings.

superbuick

Reply #14   Dec 6, 2010 10:53 am
Borat - I will gladly snap you a few photos. Look for a posting soon.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 49Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42