Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I need a Light for my New Honda HS 928TAS Snowblower, and want an LED, anyone have any ideas ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

I need a Light for my New Honda HS 928TAS Snowblower, and want an LED, anyone have any ideas ?
Original Message   Nov 26, 2010 10:10 pm
HONDA makes a halogen round light for 60 bucks.  It's OK, but lets be real here, LED's are the Future, and they have lots of light for a little juice, so why isn't the Honda Snowblower equipped with one ?   I found a LED that has 5 - One Watt LED's, and throws 400 Lumens that would look great, if it'd work. It is a 12 Volt  utility light, for about the same price as the Honda OEM that I don't like.  I'm no Electrician, so I'm looking for advice here from somebody who is.  Also if not this light, is there one that would work that is an LED ?
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: I need a Light for my New Honda HS 928TAS Snowblower, and want an LED, anyone have any ideas ?
Reply #15   Nov 28, 2010 3:20 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I think the comments about leds producing a lot of heat in this application are totally misleading. I have quite a few led lights including Vector 26 bulb work light. It produces no heat. The bulbs are set in a plastic, the lens is plastic. I was discharging it the other night and it was on for 3 hours. There was no heat being generated by the light. Maybe there are some application where the leds do produce a lot of heat. But I have never seen a 12V DC unit that produced any.

Ok here goes: http://patmullins.com/ledlightmyths.html#toc2

"LEDs produce more light per watt than an incandescent bulb.  But most of the watts they consume is still converted to heat, and if not dissipated, will drastically shorten their life.  Heat doesn't radiate from an LED, so it must be conducted away, usually into an exchanger to free flowing air.  The LED junction must operate below about 85°C."

And from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

"Like other lighting devices, LED performance is temperature dependent. Most manufacturers’ published ratings of LEDs are for an operating temperature of 25°C. LEDs used outdoors, such as traffic signals or in-pavement signal lights, and that are utilized in climates where the temperature within the luminaire gets very hot, could result in low signal intensities or even failure.[36]

LED light output actually rises at colder temperatures (leveling off depending on type at around -30C[citation needed]). Consequently, LED technology may be a good replacement in uses such as supermarket freezer lighting[37][38][39] and will last longer than other technologies. Because LEDs emit less heat than incandescent bulbs, they are an energy-efficient technology for uses such as freezers. However, because they emit little heat, ice and snow may build up on the LED luminaire in colder climates.[36] This lack of waste heat generation has been observed to cause sometimes significant problems with street traffic signals and airport runway lighting in snow-prone areas, although some research has been done to try to develop heat sink technologies to transfer heat to other areas of the luminaire."

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Re: I need a Light for my New Honda HS 928TAS Snowblower, and want an LED, anyone have any ideas ?
Reply #16   Nov 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Ok here goes: http://patmullins.com/ledlightmyths.html#toc2

"LEDs produce more light per watt than an incandescent bulb.  But most of the watts they consume is still converted to heat, and if not dissipated, will drastically shorten their life.  Heat doesn't radiate from an LED, so it must be conducted away, usually into an exchanger to free flowing air.  The LED junction must operate below about 85°C."

And from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

"Like other lighting devices, LED performance is temperature dependent. Most manufacturers’ published ratings of LEDs are for an operating temperature of 25°C. LEDs used outdoors, such as traffic signals or in-pavement signal lights, and that are utilized in climates where the temperature within the luminaire gets very hot, could result in low signal intensities or even failure.[36]

LED light output actually rises at colder temperatures (leveling off depending on type at around -30C[citation needed]). Consequently, LED technology may be a good replacement in uses such as supermarket freezer lighting[37][38][39] and will last longer than other technologies. Because LEDs emit less heat than incandescent bulbs, they are an energy-efficient technology for uses such as freezers. However, because they emit little heat, ice and snow may build up on the LED luminaire in colder climates.[36] This lack of waste heat generation has been observed to cause sometimes significant problems with street traffic signals and airport runway lighting in snow-prone areas, although some research has been done to try to develop heat sink technologies to transfer heat to other areas of the luminaire."

Nothing in the above says anything about LEDs producing a lot of heat.   On the contrary.  Their lack of heat in cold climates seems to be an issue.   I have exterior LED Christmas lights that don't even melt the snow off of themselves.  So, where's the heat?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #17   Nov 28, 2010 10:06 pm
borat wrote:
Nothing in the above says anything about LEDs producing a lot of heat.   On the contrary.  Their lack of heat in cold climates seems to be an issue.   I have exterior LED Christmas lights that don't even melt the snow off of themselves.  So, where's the heat?

LED lights run hot but not like halogen lights the above article explains it. If that isn't good enough then not much left to explain.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
jrtrebor

Reply #18   Nov 28, 2010 10:28 pm
We're talking about heat in practical terms. He's talking who knows what. I love this "I think heat is a relative term. My Nitecore D10 actually produces a lot of heat for it's size, which is a single Sanyo Eneloop AA battery. That doesn't mean much compared to a human hand. But if you take off the heat sink the bulb will not last very long without burning out. He seems to be one of those persons who reads a lot of information on the internet and then thinks he has practical useable knowledge on a subject. There is a city near where I live that installed LED traffic signals to save money on electricity. Unfortunately they are now spending more in labor to keep the lights clear of snow and Ice than they are saving on their electric bill.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #19   Nov 28, 2010 11:02 pm
This message was modified Nov 28, 2010 by Steve_Cebu

bus708

Reply #20   Nov 29, 2010 12:00 pm
I just put a rechargable 1 million watt lantern lite on mine. You can put 2 on yours if you wish. I mounted mine on my handle bars. If you like led lights you can find those too. Get the rechargable ones. The wire you normaly use  to power your old light ,you use to charge these lights. Just splice the charger wires to your blower wires. You can put a switch between them . If your snow blower does not have a provisions for a light. You can run off the battery in the light.
     A million watt lantern light is more than enough lite.
longboat

Reply #21   Nov 30, 2010 11:22 am
The LED lights don't give off a lot of heat, but the LED (diode) itself does get very hot, and, as mentioned, won't last too long if it doesn't get rid of that heat.  Think of the head of a pin getting red hot - it won't throw off much heat, but can be very hot and easily destroyed with that extra heat. 

You will find a HUGE range in LED prices, and in general the price gap is due to the more expensive lights having better heatsinks and better reflectors.  A $60 single AA-cell LED light will probably throw more useful light than a $10 3D-cell LED flashlight, be much more efficient and much more durable, so buyer-beware.  Most of the good LED lights can't be found at your local chain store, although they are getting better.  ChinaMart now sells Energizer LED headlamps that put out decent light for under $20, although they are still a far cry from the good $60 LED headlamps in terms of weight, efficiency, durability and light output.  Also at ChinaMart you can get a Black&Decker LED spotlight for under $20 that will out-throw many rechargeable 1-2mcp spotlights, is half the size and weight and will run 20hrs/78hrs on high/low on 4 C-cells.  However, for the good stuff, you generally still need to go online to mfrs. like Fenix, 4Sevens, Nitecore, Peak, HDS, etc.

LED technology is definitely getting better.  In many cases it outperforms traditional incandescent lighting, although incan lighting will always have its place (warm light, glow, etc.).  Also, LED's thus far don't lend themselves well to interior room lighting, in part due to the traditional light fixtures themselves.

Btw, my 2AA Fenix TK20 easily outperforms my 3C Maglite in throw, spill, light quality, and battery life, and is more durable - however, Maglite is slowly catching up with their latest LED lights.

Bill_H

Reply #22   Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm
bus708 wrote:
I just put a rechargable 1 million watt lantern lite on mine. You can put 2 on yours if you wish.

I know that's a typo, I also know you meant 1 million candlepower, and I'm not picking on you, really. I just found this idea really funny ... think about it, 2  one-megawatt lamps on wheels, no engine, impeller, augers, nothing else needed. Except a a small fusion plant to provide power. It'll melt the snow before you can even get close to it.  Welding helmet recommended.

Cost might be a problem. Also, burning asphalt smells pretty bad.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #23   Dec 1, 2010 12:54 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
HONDA makes a halogen round light for 60 bucks.  It's OK, but lets be real here, LED's are the Future, and they have lots of light for a little juice, so why isn't the Honda Snowblower equipped with one ?   I found a LED that has 5 - One Watt LED's, and throws 400 Lumens that would look great, if it'd work. It is a 12 Volt  utility light, for about the same price as the Honda OEM that I don't like.  I'm no Electrician, so I'm looking for advice here from somebody who is.  Also if not this light, is there one that would work that is an LED ?

Does the Honda halogen light have sufficient output for your expectation or you rather spend $60 on cool LED's?  I wouldn't expect Honda to have LED lights anytime soon.  The current model hasn't changed in much in the last 5 years.  One advantage of the old halogen light is has a defroster built in. 

My HS1132TAS came with the halogen lights.  I find the light output more than adequate for lighting up the area in front of the snowblower.  I wouldn't mind it being LED for the whiter light and better focus to cut through the scatter from the snow like a fog light.  I might fabricate something from an automotive fog light with LED with a bracket (or drift cutter bars) to mount 12 inches above the bucket.  The path in front of the snowblower is well lit without light reflecting back to the operator's eyes.  I would put function first over coolness and efficiency of the light though.

One option you may want to look into is bicycle LED lights with a battery pack.  They are very compact, sealed, and rugged, and can be mounted anywhere.  It will probably costs more than $60 though.
This message was modified Dec 1, 2010 by aa335
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #24   Dec 10, 2010 9:53 pm
I agree the LED's are much Cooler looking, but that isn't my reason.  The LED Light I picked would fit nicely on the panel between the two handles, and thus illuminate the engine, as well as the area ahead of the machine.  That way if the engine needs gas, or maybe just to be cleaned of something, I can see better.  I'm sure the Halogen light works OK, and it gets hot enough to melt snow, I just thought I'd check out the LED possibility before I buy the Honda accessory light.  The LED draws 1.9 amps which isn't much, and the Halogen light Honda sells is a 50 watt Halogen bulb, both lights run on a 12 Volt system.  I just don't know if the electrical output of the engines stator would be too much for the LED to handle. I was hoping someone on the forum would know, but so far no luck.  An e-mail to the on line seller has not been responded to, so I may just go with the Honda light.
Replies: 15 - 24 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42