Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Chuck1

New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction
Original Message   Jan 27, 2005 5:40 pm
I just came in from blowing about 12' of the white stuff. My machine has about 4 hours on it as it's new this year. I'm starting to notice that I have to push it to get it to dig in. Once this evening, on a clear patch of driveway, with the traction clutch engaged, and the unit in reverse, it wouldn't budge till I yanked on it. What could this be? The manual suggests three things: belt, friction disk and speed selector. Anyone have any hunches as to which one of these it might be, if any?

Chuck

This message was modified Jan 27, 2005 by Chuck1

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jogo

Re: New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction
Reply #18   Jan 27, 2005 7:51 pm
I actually had same troublw when mine was new. It was not a matter of wheel to ground (or snow) traction. It was simply a matter of wheel not moving in 1 st speed fwd or revers. If you lift the blower off ground, the wheels would turn. It was NO BIG DEAL. I simply went to owners manual, and followed adjustment procedures spelled out, and then it was fine. I would not call this a defect, just simple adjustment. It may have worked fine when 1st used. After breaking in I readjusted and it was fine again. I am happy. I am sure I would be happy with a toro , simplicity, or other well made machine, but I have NO GRIPES or regrets that I bought the Ariens. I would certainly reccomend them to family or friends. When these things are put together at dealers any more, the proper time is not spent getting all just perfect. That is the price we pay as a society always looking for a better deal. Service is lost. Even local dealers can not  spend the time they used to be able to.  It is either cut costs to stay competitive, or lose some business.

Not everyone is willing to spend top dollar for the best. I bought from my local dealer, but I am sure he could have spent more time prepping it. I don't care what brand.  Society as a whole wants it for less. You have to pay one way or another.  Some of you will say "I am willing to pay a premium" for the best service. I hear people I work with say the same. We make good money, yet when it comes down to it those same people are ALWAYS looking for the cheapest. They don't practice what they preach, as a whole.

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #19   Jan 27, 2005 7:57 pm
Chuck...

because your from Newfoundland ,i will have to say you need everything that ariens can do and then some.be glad you have a top line machine.

for anyone that dosent know  Chuck lives in the snow capitol of Canada.some people in his area dont get to see out there first floor windows for a couple months..

that being said you mentioned in youir post that you almost had to PUSH it to get it to move and it wouldnt back up unless you gave it a pull.

i would say you have to tighten up the sdjustment a bit.

Paul said it was a cable adjustment  and i would say tighten it up a small amount at a time until it will go ahead in 1st

i beleive your manual will give a detailed description of this adjustment.

have a cup of coffee or a wobbly pop and read that page .

you should have no trouble getting in the zone.once it is adjusted right that machine will just about crawl over your house.

kids dont try that.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #20   Jan 27, 2005 8:04 pm
Patience folks, it is as Bill is pointing out simply an adjustment issue..... 

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Chuck1

Reply #21   Jan 27, 2005 9:24 pm
Folks,

Thanks to you all for the prompt responces - I really appreciate it! A special thanks to Paul from Ariens.

It's too late for me to go at the machine tonight. . .10:50PM here on the island. I'll be sure to try those adjustments tomorrow . I'll let you know how I make out!

Cheers,

Chuck

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #22   Jan 28, 2005 9:25 am
jogo wrote:
I actually had same troublw when mine was new. It was not a matter of wheel to ground (or snow) traction. It was simply a matter of wheel not moving in 1 st speed fwd or revers. If you lift the blower off ground, the wheels would turn. It was NO BIG DEAL. I simply went to owners manual, and followed adjustment procedures spelled out, and then it was fine. I would not call this a defect, just simple adjustment. It may have worked fine when 1st used. After breaking in I readjusted and it was fine again. I am happy. I am sure I would be happy with a toro , simplicity, or other well made machine, but I have NO GRIPES or regrets that I bought the Ariens. I would certainly reccomend them to family or friends. When these things are put together at dealers any more, the proper time is not spent getting all just perfect. That is the price we pay as a society always looking for a better deal. Service is lost. Even local dealers can not  spend the time they used to be able to.  It is either cut costs to stay competitive, or lose some business.

Not everyone is willing to spend top dollar for the best. I bought from my local dealer, but I am sure he could have spent more time prepping it. I don't care what brand.  Society as a whole wants it for less. You have to pay one way or another.  Some of you will say "I am willing to pay a premium" for the best service. I hear people I work with say the same. We make good money, yet when it comes down to it those same people are ALWAYS looking for the cheapest. They don't practice what they preach, as a whole.

jogo--
    I couldn't agree more.  This past weekend i did things to/with my "lil" 824 that would have broke a lesser machine(in fact my neighbors did break- ended up doin his drive for him).  My 824 is no doubt my favorite piece of OPE, and i will always own products from the big orange-A.  Funny thing is(and I didn't know this till after i bought mine) all the guys here at work that have SB's have ariens machines of various years.  IMO, ariens is a great company, that makes a great product, that has great support after the fact.  How many toro engineers post here?  simplicity? Honda?  craftsman?  Remember, Paul posts here not as Paul, but as Paul from ariens.  I think it's great that he does that and i think it's great that Ariens allows him to do it.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #23   Jan 28, 2005 10:27 am
SnowRemover wrote:
First, let me point out that I think it is great that Paul posts here. 

But to answer your question, it looks like if Paul wasn't posting here, Ariens would be seeing returns of their product.  From what I've been reading, Honda/Craftsman/Toro/Simplicity engineers don't have to post here because their products are "out of the box" less troublesome.

--SnowRemover

What a warped way of looking at Pauls contributions. You really go out on limb to try to downgrade them, I'm embarressed for you.  
Chuck1

Reply #24   Jan 30, 2005 7:56 pm
Well, I finally got around to trying some of the things you folks suggested, and, it was a snap. All I did was turn the adjusting nut for the traction drive cable one turn clockwise. After I did it I pulled the machine outside, fired her up, put her in L1, engaged the traction clutch and I skied behind it as the machine dragged me down the driveway!! Then I tried reverse, same thing. I put a significant amount of resistance against it as it was backing up and it felt really strong. It's unbelieveable how such a tiny adjestment had such an effect on the machine.

Thanks again to all for the comments and assistance.

Cheers,

Chuck

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #25   Jan 30, 2005 8:01 pm
Good for Chuck! I am glad these guys suggestions helped.

In racing, 1/10th of a second slowers is last place. Small things do make a difference sometimes huh? LOL
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #26   Jan 31, 2005 1:40 pm
Chuck1 wrote:
Well, I finally got around to trying some of the things you folks suggested, and, it was a snap. All I did was turn the adjusting nut for the traction drive cable one turn clockwise. After I did it I pulled the machine outside, fired her up, put her in L1, engaged the traction clutch and I skied behind it as the machine dragged me down the driveway!! Then I tried reverse, same thing. I put a significant amount of resistance against it as it was backing up and it felt really strong. It's unbelieveable how such a tiny adjestment had such an effect on the machine.

Thanks again to all for the comments and assistance.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck, i think you just invented a new sport, Snowblower skiing!!!  Hey if the tractor guys can have rally races, the snowblower guys can ski  ;)

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #27   Feb 1, 2005 3:14 pm
Yep it's a snap.  Remember ya might have to adjust it again slightly  periodically(once a season) as well.  Like I said ya just gotta find that sweet spot on it, and I knew you were close.  Now go have a Miller High Life and celebrate a job well done.
Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42