Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Purchased Mr. Funnel F3CN

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Purchased Mr. Funnel F3CN
Original Message   Jan 27, 2005 8:44 am
Hi Fred,

I couldn't find the thread on this list when this subject came up a few days ago, so I thought I'd make a new one.  I saw the Mpeg on their website you sent me to and thought it was great.  It almost seems too good to be true how well this works.  I should have it in my hands in a few days and you can bet I'm going to demo it for myself just as they did in the Mpeg.  I think I'll be leaving out all the debris in my test, but will certainly try the "water" trick.  Thank you again for recommending it to me

Richie
Replies: 12 - 21 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Purchased Mr. Funnel F3CN
Reply #12   Jan 27, 2005 5:51 pm
In memory of Bobby P... and his convincing posts...

First... I started using Pri-G and PRI-D...

Next... was a Mr. Funnel...

Finally... I got a Honda FG100 mini-tiller...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Termy

Reply #13   Jan 27, 2005 5:56 pm
I feel bad that BobbyP left us. He was really cool and gave great advice. I just hope he finds whatever he is looking for in his life. I am hoping he will come back. Well, if he does, we all will bennifit from it.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #14   Jan 27, 2005 7:06 pm
Yes, I hope he comes back also.  He was a great guy. 

It bought a filtered funnel when I went to pick up my mower blades recently.  I should have read more about Mr. Funnel, because it is better than just a filtered funnel.    

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #15   Jan 28, 2005 6:17 am
I bought a Mr. Funnel and find it to be a pain to use. 

Do you fill the fuel tank directly?  When doing so I find it very difficult to see how full the tank is and have overflowed it on more than one occasion.  The fuel tanks on my single stage blowers are small so you need to be careful when filling them.  Using the Mr. Funnel makes seeing the level harder and I have needed to use a finger to stop the fuel in the 1/2 full funnel when the blower tank is full. 

The only successful way I found was to dedicate a fuel can as "clean".  Only filtered fuel goes into the can.  Then I use this can to fuel the equipment. 

It would seem to be a good idea to build a Mr. Funnel fuel can.  This would eliminate many of the handling issues.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #16   Jan 28, 2005 8:53 am
Hi Tom,

I'm glad you posted that because I realized this just prior to ordering it.  Like you, I hate filling a fuel tank and accidentally over filling it, just to spilling fuel all over the place.  My gas can is one of those larger 5-6 gallon plastic types.  I also have a spare one that I keep in the garage also.  I figured after I fuel the can up, I was going to take it home and install the funnel on my spare can and pour the fuel into that one rather than use the funnel directly on my OPE.  I don't know if this defeats the purpose, because I don't know how much, if any, these fuel containers attract water just by sitting around.  This is my solution, hopefully a good one.

What I don't like about my TEC engine is that I recently switched it over to Mobil One 5w-30.  There is only about 40 minutes of time on the oil due to this recent storm here in New York.  But I noticed that the rubber breather tube had some white goo dripping from it (obviously water mixing with oil) and when I checked the oil, this same goo was on the top half of the dip stick.  When I see this, I just wipe it off.  Given the fact these carburetors are completely open and always exposed to the elements, and maybe the breather tube as well, I really don't know if this water or condensation issue can truly be eliminated.  Not to mention the fact these winter fuels really attact water by their very nature.  

I thought of running the engine for a short while each day to burn it off, but that really isn't a viable solution to me, not to mention putting needless hours on the engine.   

Richie
Emmo

Reply #17   Jan 28, 2005 9:20 am
I initially found the funnel to be a pain to use as well, but kept telling myself that it was worth it. Eventually I got the knack of using it, I just pour slowly and keep a watchful eye and ear for the fuel filling to the top.

I think its important to use it at  the point of fueling the equipment, rather than at the gas pump, due to the moisture issues.  Filtering at the pump certainly would take care of the dirt, but it's the sitting around in the garage that is 90 F today and is 5 F in 2 weeks that concerns me.  I keep a small stash of fuel around for my portable generator and I do replace it every so often (stabilized with PRI).  But when I see the expansion and contraction in those cans it reminds me of the variations of environment it has been exposed to.  I worry about  condensation, and the water getting into the fuel system of my equipt, and therefore filter just before using it.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #18   Jan 28, 2005 9:26 am
Emmo,

You make some very good points and something that should be considered.  Thanks.

Richie
Emmo

Reply #19   Jan 28, 2005 9:47 am
Thanks Richie.....

Also, like you I buy and store fuel 5 gal at a time,  but I also have a 1.5 gal (for reg. gas) and a 1 gal (2 cycle gas) can that I use to fill my smaller equipment.  I merely fill my little cans from the big cans.   The small cans make it much easier to use Mr. Filter while I fuel the smaller equipt.  Much less likely to overfill using the small cans.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #20   Jan 28, 2005 4:09 pm
Hey Fred,

This was the strangest thing with this Ebay seller.  First, this guy had the fastest shipping I've ever seen.  I was on the computer checking the tracking number, and it says it's out at my front door  Then I open it up, great packaging by the way, inside was a one page instructions, the guys business card paper clipped to the instructions with $3.00 cash to boot   The actual total with shipping I sent them using PayPal was $23.74.  I've never heard of a refund like this, but I'm not complaining, just caught off guard.  Anyway, great funnel. 

Richie
jubol

Reply #21   Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm
    Richie,

Have you tried it already?

On my OPE I pour from one fuel comtainer thru the funnel into another container and then into my equipment.

I try to guess the amount of fuel that I'm going to use that day, or couple of days.

Fred   

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 12 - 21 of 31Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42