Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens AMP 24 - Electric Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowmachine

Ariens AMP 24 - Electric Snowblower
Original Message   Aug 8, 2010 2:43 pm
Interested to see how well this will work. I wonder what battery replacement costs will be?

http://www.wisesales.com/ariens_916003.html

Product Name AMP 24 Stage Type Two Stage Powered By 48V Brushless DC Motor Starting System Key On, PTO On Clearing Width 24" (61 cm) Housing Height 20" (50.8 cm) Throwing Distance 3' - 40' Chute Turning Radius 205º Chute Rotation 2.5x Ice Drill Chute Construction Steel Deflector Control Remote Tire Size 13" x 4" (33 x 10.2 cm) Axle System Pin Lock Batteries 48V / 30A-Hr Drive Type Disc-o-matic Speeds 6 FWD, 2 REV Gear Case Aluminum Impeller Profile Steel 3-Blade Impeller Diameter 12" (30.5 cm) Auger Diameter 11" (27.9 cm) Auger Type Steel Serrated Skid Shoes Reversible Energized by two 48-Volt AGM Valve Regulated battery packs that last up to 200 charges. Unplug charger, turn key and you are ready to start throwing snow. Specially designed steel chute discharges snow accurately up to 40 feet. User-friendly controls for simple and convenient maneuverability. Largest in-class freeze-resistant 12-inch 3-blade high speed impeller ensures superior performance. Features a battery level indicator that gives the operator an early warning by flashing approximately 10 minutes before battery is discharged.

This message was modified Aug 8, 2010 by snowmachine
Replies: 11 - 20 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Paul7

Re: Ariens AMP 24 - Electric Snowblower
Reply #11   Feb 21, 2011 9:33 am
In use video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foc7nblz4_o
borat

Reply #12   Feb 21, 2011 9:47 am
Battery powered devices carry their own brand of environmental impact and in my view are disappointingly wasteful. 

Right now, I have a box in my basement with four perfectly working cordless drills that are virtually useless because the eight batteries that came with them cannot take a charge.   Replacement batteries cost as much or more than a new drill, batteries and charger.   Each drill came with two NiCad batteries which would last maybe two years if I was lucky.    

This method of manufacturing a product that requires batteries that are prohibitively expensive really rubs me the wrong way.   I don't see anything green about a product that is rendered useless because the power source that drives them costs nearly as much as a complete new item.   It irks me to no end to discard perfectly working devices. 

Almost every gasoline/diesel powered device I own or have owned is still working after decades of use.   But there, in the basement is a box full of battery powered devices, each only a couple years old and capable of years more service that will end up being recycled or trashed because batteries are either no longer available or too expensive.  

There's NO WAY I'll be buying any large battery powered OPE or anything else battery powered for that matter, until manufacturers produce a battery that will work for ten years and be reasonably priced when needed to be be replaced.            
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by borat
stresst

Reply #13   Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I wonder what application that unit has?

O

It will be a big hit with the "green" enviromentalist's. Great for people who need a 2 stage and have to keep the machine inside there home. No gas or oil fumes to deal with, Nevermind they dont have to worry about stabilzer or draining the gas. Dont get me wrong I would never buy one but they may have a place in the market.
This message was modified Feb 21, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
friiy

Reply #14   Feb 22, 2011 7:00 pm
What would impress me is someone building one out of 2 cheap standard auto batteries that charges off a standard fifty amp charger car charger. ( Trouts- go check your spares, get Borat for plans) --Friiy
friiy

Reply #15   Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm
What would impress me is someone building one out of 2 cheap standard auto batteries that charges off a standard fifty amp charger car charger. ( Trouts- go check your spares, get Borat for plans) --Friiy
Bill_H

Reply #16   Feb 22, 2011 7:50 pm
What a waste. Probably OK charge-wise if you have a small driveway in town, but that "up to one hour" means what? One hour of smooth light snow like they show in the video? You'll really bog down that 4HP motor on EOD and that will greatly reduce your usage. Then you have to wait 6 hours before you can use it again.

The battery could probably be replaced by 4  motorcycle sized batteries with a little fab work, that should cut the cost of replacing them if you can do that yourself. I don'tthink you can fit 4 auto-sized batteries on that. Still must be very heavy.

6 hour recharge at a 10 (? just guessing) amp draw would be 7.2 kW. Not cheap. And despite what the greenies say, electricity DOES pollute. Almost half the US supply is from coal-fired plants (I don't have stats for CA).

I see a niche market in places that don't get a lot of snow. But let another year like this past one happen and they'll all be looking to upgrade.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
borat

Reply #17   Feb 22, 2011 8:47 pm
Perfect Florida snow blower.  Or maybe SoCal.  
friiy

Reply #18   Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm
I 'm thinking now about a 220 volt  electric,   I wonder what gauge  the power cord would have to be  for 75 feet?

No batteries and quiet...   I' ll have to see how much Romax I have lying around and check the Harbor Freight Catalog.

-Friiy

Shryp

Reply #19   Feb 23, 2011 4:41 am
borat

Reply #20   Feb 23, 2011 8:43 am
High power electrical line and snow blower augers....   What could possibly be wrong with that picture?
Replies: 11 - 20 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42