Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best ice remover for paving stone driveway

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Chuck1

Best ice remover for paving stone driveway
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 12:35 pm
IThis is not a real snow blower question, though it is relevant in that if we get additional snow (which I've no doubt we will) I won't be able to clear my driveway with my machine as I won't be able to get any traction.   

On Saturday past we received 61 centimeters of snow (23+ inches), which  I promptly cleaned up, leaving about 1/4" of snow on the driveway. Yesterday we had torrential rain  (typical for our climate). Today it's -2C (26.6F) and everything is frozen solid; despite my hard work, my driveway resembles a hockey rink.   

Anyway, it's my first year in this house and it has what I call a "doggie bone" brick driveway (I believe they're called paving stones). Can anyone give me some advice on what to use to get a grip on the ice? I really don't want to use salt as I'm concerned that it will damage or stain the stones. Sand is an option that came to mind, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
jubol

Re: Best ice remover for paving stone driveway
Reply #1   Jan 25, 2005 12:37 pm
  Chuck1,

What is in between your pavers?

If it is sand, I would go with sand on the ice!!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Chuck1

Reply #2   Jan 25, 2005 12:40 pm
Fred,

Yes sir, it is indeed sand.

Chuck.

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #3   Jan 25, 2005 12:41 pm
My town provides free sand which I use.  I could not afford to buy salt for my entire drive.

I guess it comes down to what you can get your hands on or afford....

What happened to you has happened to me often so I have sand buckets placed on the drive and more sand in bins in the garage.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2005 12:49 pm
Hi...

Size of iced driveway ?

1st... I'd use salt-free sand... least expensive or free...

There are ice melting products that will not damage the pavers or plants in fact... like salt will...
I got mine a a hardware store...

Can also buy and use a propane flame weed burning torch...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Chuck1

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2005 1:03 pm
Dave,

It's two cars wide, 50' long.

I've never heard of a propane weed burner before. . .

Chuck

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 1:11 pm
Chuck...

Here's a picture of one brand...

Weed Dragon Price: $69.90      Weed Dragon/Cylinder Dolly Combo Price: $119.80

Other brands / sizes available...

I did a search on  propane weed torch

I've never used one... but it should melt ice...
...seen pictures of 'em being used for this...

Here's a picture...

Just noticed this...
"LIQUID TORCH KITS:
If you plan on using your torch continuously for great lengths of time or if you plan on using it in sub-zero climates, you will need to use a Liquid Torch Kit. Liquid Torch Kits require a propane tank equipped with a liquid withdrawal valve. Talk to your local propane dealer for more information about this. Two kits to choose from."

Dave...

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

SnowPro

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 2:01 pm
Hi Chuck!

This year I have been using a product called  "Alaskan Ice Melter" .  You can get it at Canadian Tire or Home Depot, or others I'm sure.  It is safe for the driveway and vegetation.  It is also a cool blue colour.  It works fantastic and no staining.  The residue seems to stick around and continue to do its job, keeping the driveway bare.  I highly recommend it.  I've tried others, but this one seems to be the best.

Ken

Chuck1

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 7:33 pm
I bought some of that Alaskian Ice melter stuff and followed it up with sand. . .thanks all for the feedback!! I'll let you know how it works out. Snow again tonight!

Chuck

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42