Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tiko

Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 6:44 pm
I struggled to get my Ariens 8524 through the 10" of snow on my driveway yesterday here in south Jersey.  The engine would start right up either with the electric start or pull start on full throttle and full choke.  But if I tried to take it off choke at all it would stall.  This was after letting it warm up a little too.  Initially it was very hard to start and keep running.  This is a 1 year old snowblower that I used 3 times last year and this is my first time this year.  I kept stabilized fuel in the machine and had test fired it back in Novemeber and the snowblower started fine and I was able to get it to run off choke then.  I was only able to run the blower on full choke and only short distances before it would repeatedly stall out.  I drained the gas and put in fresh gas.  No improvement.  I am very frustrated and aggrevated over this Ariens.  Now I bought this machine last year new and had a belt problem that required dealer repair.  Then the blow by problem with the chute and baffle kit!  Now I have this engine stalling problem.  This Ariens has been the worst piece of power equipment I have ever owned!  Any other Ariens owners with similar problems?

***I just got my snowblower back from the shop.  They said the problem was a "sunken float" in the carburetor, and they replaced the float under warranty.  So it's repaired,  for now.  I just finished reading the 37 replies to my post and I am now wondering who to blame?  Ariens, Tecumseh, or the carburetor float manufacturer??  The Ariens website says that they use Tecumseh Snow King engines built to Ariens specifications.  So does Ariens specify the carburetor float?  Who knows.  What I do know is that I have a 1 year old snowblower (used 4 times) that's been in the shop twice in a year for repairs.  NOT a very good track record.  My snowblower for me is not a toy.  I need it to clear my driveway to get to work.  So far this Ariens has not performed to my expectations and I regret my purchase.  If I could get my money back I'd sell this Ariens in a second and buy another manufacturers machine.  Anyway, that's the update.  Looking forward to warmer weather.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Tiko
Replies: 10 - 19 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling
Reply #10   Jan 25, 2005 8:44 am
Hi Guys!

I agree with Jubol concerning the funnel with the water seperator.However,I believe that we forget about the moisture laden air that enters the carb through the  intake when the engine is running or just sitting.  This moisture contaminates the fuel in the bowl and is I feel the cause of the icing conditions and or corrosion some of us experience. The solution is to turn off the fuel valve,run the engine till it uses up the fuel in the line below the valve and then drain the bowl by pushing up on the spring loaded pin on the bowl bottom. This pin appears on most Tecumseh engines. Not sure about Briggs and Stratton. The one Honda I worked on has a neat litle drain screw to drain the bowl.

In addition I have been adding fuel stabilizer to my gas when I fill the can and have also been adding Sea Foam to ward off corrosion in the carb.Been doing this for a while now in all my ope including 2cycle and four cycle. Carbs seem to be much smoother in transition from low to high and everything starts REAL easy!  

Marc

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2005 9:08 am
Hi Tiko:

After reading your problem, I think that your problem is related to a poor carburator adjustment.  I leave stabilized fuel in all of my offseason equipment and have yet to have a problem with bad gas the following season (knock on wood).  Because your machine is still under warranty, call an authorized Ariens dealer and have them go through the machine and fine tune it.  I believe that with some slight screw turning of the carb, you will be just fine.  If need be, you could make the carb adjustment yourself....

bbwb

drinkingbird

Reply #12   Jan 27, 2005 7:02 pm
bbwb wrote:
Hi Tiko:

After reading your problem, I think that your problem is related to a poor carburator adjustment.  I leave stabilized fuel in all of my offseason equipment and have yet to have a problem with bad gas the following season (knock on wood).  Because your machine is still under warranty, call an authorized Ariens dealer and have them go through the machine and fine tune it.  I believe that with some slight screw turning of the carb, you will be just fine.  If need be, you could make the carb adjustment yourself....

bbwb

Could be either adjustment or water, somehow you're not getting enough gas.  Water can freeze the pin up in the gas inlet, or just take up too much space in the bowl.  At the beginning and end of every season I pull the bowl off and clean it out (just don't let the plunger/pin fall out).

I would also pull the plug and clean it or swap it, as if there is water in the gas it will foul up the spark plug too.

-Dave

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #13   Jan 27, 2005 7:12 pm
This isn't an Ariens issue, it a Tecumseh issue.  Please don't blame Ariens. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #14   Jan 27, 2005 7:34 pm
Whitedog,

When you say blowby are you talking about what comes out of the rubber breather tube? If so, I noticed that on my Tecumseh engine the other day while it was running, not to mention some of that white goo dripping from it that I heard someone else mention.  Then I noticed the same goo on the upper part of the dipstick.  I only have about 30 minutes use on the Mobil One oil I recently switched over to. But it looks like condensation contamination to me.  I just keep wiping it off. 

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #15   Jan 27, 2005 8:21 pm
Hi Tico..

your problem is with out a doubt a gummy carb.

this would be possible to Adjust out on an older carb.

however on your unit (1 year old) you have an emissions carb.

there are no adjustments.

it will need to be cleaned to be able to do its job.

i know you mentioned that you use stabilizer but many kinda of that just arent ment for small engines.

there are so many different kinds of metal in those carbs and the fuel that we now have has up to 10%alcohol in it.

the alcohol is very agressive and it also absorbes moisture right out of the air(hydroscopic i think is the word).

anyway it needs a good cleaning.

if you feel thst this is somthing you can do with a bit of help then lets get at it,you may have snow coming.

i can help you with it here if you like.and so can some others here.

let us know.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Jan 28, 2005 9:29 am
SnowRemover wrote:
Who purchased the engine to go on the machine?  Who put the engine on the machine? 

Lets say you bought a Ford, and inside was a Mazda engine, and the engine blew after 12,000 miles.  Who will 99.9% of the consumers blame?

Where I'm going with this, is everyone seems to be defending Ariens
  • User Assembled it wrong
  • Dealer assembled it wrong
  • Not properly maintained
  • Ariens doesn't make the engine
What's next - the crank brakes, but don't blame Ariens, thats made by SteelWorks in Tennessee.   Going back to cars, only 25% of most cars total cost is made by the manufacturer, the rest come from car part manufacturers.  But a consumer would be a fool to blame the component manufacturer, because the maker of their car chose the parts, chose the specs, and assembled the final product.

Blame for everything resideds with Ariens.  If my Tecumseh goes on my Toro, I blame Toro for not picking a better engine.  It's Toro's/Ariens job to blame Tecumseh.

--SnowRemover

Who else are they going to pick for a snow engine besides Briggs?
Marshall

Reply #17   Jan 28, 2005 10:23 am
SnowRemover wrote:
That really isn't something that the consumer cares about.  This is about marketing and sales, and consumers blame the name that is on their machine, not the engine company.  Lets say, for the sake of argument, that all Briggs engines and Tecumseh engines broke after 4 months.  Where would Toro/Ariens/MTD be?  The answer is out of business.  And Honda, who makes their own engines, would rule the snow blower market. 

If engines are causing customer complaints, the purchaser of those engines needs to either switch engine companies, or go back to the manufacturer and help them design a more reliable product.

--SnowRemover

The fact is, the engine companies make the engines and the snowblower companies make the snowblower, period. No getting around that fact.

Also, you are assuming that the snowblower companies do not hound the engine companies regarding problems, I strongly imagine they do!

The other fact is, all engine companies are going to have problems, that's why they have warranties. Yes, Honda too.

Fact three, since you are playing pretend, if there were no Briggs and Tecumseh, you would $#%* about the price being too high.

Fact four, Tecumseh snow engines have been around forever and day, they have performed fantastic for the most part and have a very good track record. There are a ton of old snow kings still plugging along.

Point being, everytime there is a small engine problem, I don't think blaming Toro, Sim's, Snapper, Ariens, etc. is the answer.

Marshall

Reply #18   Jan 28, 2005 10:44 am
""WRONG! Manufacturers must take responsibility for the final product that they are selling the consumer.  If you want to argue otherwise, why not start a new snow blower company, ask some startup small engine manufacturer in sunny Vietnam to make the engine, watch the engines collapse, and tell your customers "Hey, the engine is warranteed by the manufacturer, don't blame us, call them.
You'd be out of business in a couple of years, because consumer do, and rightly so, blame the company name for all their problems."

But that is not happening is it? Your point is not holding water, only in a make believe scenario can you make your point hold up. The real world, people are buying these products and have continued to do so despite who warrenties the engine. And dats a fact jack. 

Marshall

Reply #19   Jan 28, 2005 11:19 am
No, your point in this thread is that consumers should blame the manufacturer. I disagree for all the reasons I have stated and you agreed to.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Marshall
Replies: 10 - 19 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42