Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tiko

Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 6:44 pm
I struggled to get my Ariens 8524 through the 10" of snow on my driveway yesterday here in south Jersey.  The engine would start right up either with the electric start or pull start on full throttle and full choke.  But if I tried to take it off choke at all it would stall.  This was after letting it warm up a little too.  Initially it was very hard to start and keep running.  This is a 1 year old snowblower that I used 3 times last year and this is my first time this year.  I kept stabilized fuel in the machine and had test fired it back in Novemeber and the snowblower started fine and I was able to get it to run off choke then.  I was only able to run the blower on full choke and only short distances before it would repeatedly stall out.  I drained the gas and put in fresh gas.  No improvement.  I am very frustrated and aggrevated over this Ariens.  Now I bought this machine last year new and had a belt problem that required dealer repair.  Then the blow by problem with the chute and baffle kit!  Now I have this engine stalling problem.  This Ariens has been the worst piece of power equipment I have ever owned!  Any other Ariens owners with similar problems?

***I just got my snowblower back from the shop.  They said the problem was a "sunken float" in the carburetor, and they replaced the float under warranty.  So it's repaired,  for now.  I just finished reading the 37 replies to my post and I am now wondering who to blame?  Ariens, Tecumseh, or the carburetor float manufacturer??  The Ariens website says that they use Tecumseh Snow King engines built to Ariens specifications.  So does Ariens specify the carburetor float?  Who knows.  What I do know is that I have a 1 year old snowblower (used 4 times) that's been in the shop twice in a year for repairs.  NOT a very good track record.  My snowblower for me is not a toy.  I need it to clear my driveway to get to work.  So far this Ariens has not performed to my expectations and I regret my purchase.  If I could get my money back I'd sell this Ariens in a second and buy another manufacturers machine.  Anyway, that's the update.  Looking forward to warmer weather.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Tiko
Replies: 2 - 11 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
whitedog

cry once when you buy it, not every time you use it!

Re: Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling
Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 7:34 pm
hi tiko,

sorry to hear about your bad experince with your ariens. have you changed the spark plug?  maybe you got the monday morning machine, i am glad to say that other than the blowby problem my 8524 has been dependable.

wd

ope: ariens 8524, winco 8kw - b/s vanguard v twin, little giant 5 hp b/s, stihl br-650

the difference between smart and stupid is stupid knows no bounds

robmints

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 8:03 pm
Tiko

I think if you read between the lines of the Ariens manual and the Tecumseh manual you will see the prefered method of both is to drain the fuel for  long term storage. Long term is over 30 days. I also believe the machine has a three year warranty. Don't wait for the flakes to fly to see about a repair.

You have had two problems with the machine. The belt and the chute. Your dealer and Ariens fixed both, right?

The jury is still out on the stalling. It could be fuel, or something else. You have a machine from a well respected manufacturer. No reason to think you got a lemon. The only thing that is even a little unusual is the belt. And I know three times seems to be the charm. But I think I would give them a pass on the chute just because of the way they handled the situation.

I am not an Ariens guy, but I don't think if I were you I would flip my lid yet.
Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2005 1:18 am
Tiko wrote:
 I am very frustrated and aggrevated over this Ariens.  Now I bought this machine last year new and had a belt problem that required dealer repair.  Then the blow by problem with the chute and baffle kit!  Now I have this engine stalling problem.  This Ariens has been the worst piece of power equipment I have ever owned! 

Tiko -  There is a lack of fuel (lean condition) that is causing your stalling & poor running problems. Something probably got in the carb's insides that is clogging it. It should be a simple fix for your dealer. The carb problem could be due to some crud or water that got into your gasoline. I would get it taken care of (still under warranty?) & I bet afterwards you will be rewarded with good service from this machine.

Otherwise, if you're REALLY fed up with it, I'm in NJ too & will GLADLY & QUICKLY take this thing off your hands...  

Good Luck!
Marty

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2005 7:43 am
Majorxlr8n wrote:
If you're REALLY fed up with it, I'm in NJ too & will GLADLY & QUICKLY take this thing off your hands...  

Good Luck!
Marty

Marty- I love the way you go shopping for Snow Blowers!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
jubol

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 7:52 am
  MM14,

Marty always wears his mask and gun when going shopping for OPE!!!

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 7:58 am
Hi folks,

A really silly question regarding fuel if I may; is there anything on the market you can pour your fuel through and into your power equipment's fuel tank to remove suspended water? Also, I usually keep my PRI-G stabilized fuel in a plastic 6 gallon container.  Do these fuel containers attract more water sitting on a concrete garage floor or should the containers sit on a shelf off the floor?  Thanks.

Richie
jubol

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 8:04 am
  Richie,

Yes there is, it's called Mr Funnel, also West Marine stores sells it.

Go to the West Marine web site, look under Fuel Filter Funnel.

They run about $20.00, but well worth it.

Fred      

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2005 8:17 am
Fred,

That's great thank you. I'll pick one up today.

Richie
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Jan 25, 2005 8:44 am
Hi Guys!

I agree with Jubol concerning the funnel with the water seperator.However,I believe that we forget about the moisture laden air that enters the carb through the  intake when the engine is running or just sitting.  This moisture contaminates the fuel in the bowl and is I feel the cause of the icing conditions and or corrosion some of us experience. The solution is to turn off the fuel valve,run the engine till it uses up the fuel in the line below the valve and then drain the bowl by pushing up on the spring loaded pin on the bowl bottom. This pin appears on most Tecumseh engines. Not sure about Briggs and Stratton. The one Honda I worked on has a neat litle drain screw to drain the bowl.

In addition I have been adding fuel stabilizer to my gas when I fill the can and have also been adding Sea Foam to ward off corrosion in the carb.Been doing this for a while now in all my ope including 2cycle and four cycle. Carbs seem to be much smoother in transition from low to high and everything starts REAL easy!  

Marc

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2005 9:08 am
Hi Tiko:

After reading your problem, I think that your problem is related to a poor carburator adjustment.  I leave stabilized fuel in all of my offseason equipment and have yet to have a problem with bad gas the following season (knock on wood).  Because your machine is still under warranty, call an authorized Ariens dealer and have them go through the machine and fine tune it.  I believe that with some slight screw turning of the carb, you will be just fine.  If need be, you could make the carb adjustment yourself....

bbwb

Replies: 2 - 11 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42