Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tiko

Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling ***repaired***
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 6:44 pm
I struggled to get my Ariens 8524 through the 10" of snow on my driveway yesterday here in south Jersey.  The engine would start right up either with the electric start or pull start on full throttle and full choke.  But if I tried to take it off choke at all it would stall.  This was after letting it warm up a little too.  Initially it was very hard to start and keep running.  This is a 1 year old snowblower that I used 3 times last year and this is my first time this year.  I kept stabilized fuel in the machine and had test fired it back in Novemeber and the snowblower started fine and I was able to get it to run off choke then.  I was only able to run the blower on full choke and only short distances before it would repeatedly stall out.  I drained the gas and put in fresh gas.  No improvement.  I am very frustrated and aggrevated over this Ariens.  Now I bought this machine last year new and had a belt problem that required dealer repair.  Then the blow by problem with the chute and baffle kit!  Now I have this engine stalling problem.  This Ariens has been the worst piece of power equipment I have ever owned!  Any other Ariens owners with similar problems?

***I just got my snowblower back from the shop.  They said the problem was a "sunken float" in the carburetor, and they replaced the float under warranty.  So it's repaired,  for now.  I just finished reading the 37 replies to my post and I am now wondering who to blame?  Ariens, Tecumseh, or the carburetor float manufacturer??  The Ariens website says that they use Tecumseh Snow King engines built to Ariens specifications.  So does Ariens specify the carburetor float?  Who knows.  What I do know is that I have a 1 year old snowblower (used 4 times) that's been in the shop twice in a year for repairs.  NOT a very good track record.  My snowblower for me is not a toy.  I need it to clear my driveway to get to work.  So far this Ariens has not performed to my expectations and I regret my purchase.  If I could get my money back I'd sell this Ariens in a second and buy another manufacturers machine.  Anyway, that's the update.  Looking forward to warmer weather.

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Tiko
Replies: 18 - 27 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Ariens 8524 Engine Stalling
Reply #18   Jan 28, 2005 10:44 am
""WRONG! Manufacturers must take responsibility for the final product that they are selling the consumer.  If you want to argue otherwise, why not start a new snow blower company, ask some startup small engine manufacturer in sunny Vietnam to make the engine, watch the engines collapse, and tell your customers "Hey, the engine is warranteed by the manufacturer, don't blame us, call them.
You'd be out of business in a couple of years, because consumer do, and rightly so, blame the company name for all their problems."

But that is not happening is it? Your point is not holding water, only in a make believe scenario can you make your point hold up. The real world, people are buying these products and have continued to do so despite who warrenties the engine. And dats a fact jack. 

Marshall

Reply #19   Jan 28, 2005 11:19 am
No, your point in this thread is that consumers should blame the manufacturer. I disagree for all the reasons I have stated and you agreed to.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Marshall
Marshall

Reply #20   Jan 28, 2005 11:45 am
Now that I have you back on track for the real reason you are debating this, we're speaking of OPE, snowblowers to be specific, not cars or trucks. Stick to the subject at hand man.

Consumers should not care who is responsible for engine problems. Why? Because when a repair is needed, it is covered under warranty and should be seemless to the consumer. You take the product to an authorized dealer and you get it back fixed, he deals with the warranty issue. Sure as I am sitting here, if Ariens was totally responsible, the first time something didn't go right, someone like you would be saying Ariens sucks, why can't we deal with the company that actually made the damn engine and calling that ludicrous and blaming Ariens for standing between you and the engine manufacturer.

Again, fact is there is Briggs and Tecumseh, they manufacture and warranty their own product and by doing so accept responsibility when their product fails. You are the one trying to make it an Ariens problem even when Tecumseh says it's their own problem.

drinkingbird

Reply #21   Jan 28, 2005 11:56 am
Richie wrote:
Hi folks,

A really silly question regarding fuel if I may; is there anything on the market you can pour your fuel through and into your power equipment's fuel tank to remove suspended water? Also, I usually keep my PRI-G stabilized fuel in a plastic 6 gallon container.  Do these fuel containers attract more water sitting on a concrete garage floor or should the containers sit on a shelf off the floor?  Thanks.

I haven't used those filters though they do look cool.  I use ISO-Heat and Sta-Bil in all my fuel (mix and pure) for my OPE, and have never had a problem.  And I clean the bowl at the beginning and end of every year on the devices that have them.

I typically put both as soon as I get gas, mix it gently (swish and slosh with cap on), then leave the cap off the gas can for 10 mins to let any moisture escape from the ISO-Heet.  Not sure if this really does anything but it makes me feel better :-) 

-Dave

buttlint

Reply #22   Jan 28, 2005 11:56 am
It's funny the problems a little speck of crap in a fuel system can cause.
The entire OPE industry goes on trial over one tiny, itty-bitty piece of debri lodged in a pilot jet.
Welcome back Chris.
Marshall

Reply #23   Jan 28, 2005 12:15 pm
Snowremover,

You have already ageed that Tecumseh and Bringgs make fine snow engines and they have an excellent reputation and history in this business. Now you are trying to say that a manufacturer, Ariens, is building their machine around a lousy engine. You are trying to argue a point that is not existant by your own ackowledgment.

Now, tell us why are you really dissing them because you can't on this thread and this issue unless you change what you have agreed to. You came into this forum bashing Ariens and speaking of death cause by their machine. Walt nailed you on that one. Now you're trying to make up something Ariens should be blamed for that you say doesn't exist. You have even gone as far as to make up examples but, when brought back to Snow king engines and Ariens, you can't make it work.

What will be next?

drinkingbird

Reply #24   Jan 28, 2005 12:26 pm
buttlint wrote:
It's funny the problems a little speck of crap in a fuel system can cause.
The entire OPE industry goes on trial over one tiny, itty-bitty piece of debri lodged in a pilot jet.
Welcome back Chris.

Its probably a piece of butt lint
drinkingbird

Reply #25   Jan 28, 2005 12:27 pm
I'd use the old "fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics" metaphor here but I don't wanna offend anyone.

Kidding anyway, I love a good debate.

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by drinkingbird
Marshall

Reply #26   Jan 28, 2005 12:49 pm
I'LL MAKE IT EASY FOR YOU AND QUOTE YOU.........

They chose, bought and assembled their machines around that engine.  I, as a consumer, don't know squat about small engine reliability.  I am trusting the manufacturer to put a quality engine on the machine they sell me.  If they don't, I blame the manufactuer (Toro/Ariens/etc.)

THEY DO PUT ON A QUALITY ENGINE, YOU AGREED TO THAT MANY TIMES AND YOU ARE STILL BLAMING ARIENS. IF YOUR OWN WORDS AREN'T UNDERSTANDABLE TO YOU, I AM SORRY, CAN'T HELP YOU OTHER THAN BY USING THEM.

Marshall

Reply #27   Jan 28, 2005 1:06 pm
Snowremover wrote:

"I am NOT blaming Ariens for this stalled engine. "

If that is what you are saying now, I am glad I could help you and you decided to see it that way.

But, do not fool us, you were not saying that to begin with in this thread.........................

Snowremover wrote:

"Where I'm going with this, is everyone seems to be defending Ariens"

"What's next - the crank brakes, but don't blame Ariens,"

"Blame for everything resideds with Ariens."

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Marshall
Replies: 18 - 27 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42