Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gear Box Assembly for Ariens Model 924121

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
yates28

Ariens 1128le 924121 with Cast Iron gearbox

Gear Box Assembly for Ariens Model 924121
Original Message   Mar 2, 2010 3:33 pm
Hey all

Haven't posted  in quite some time but would appreciate some feedback.

Just  brought my blower to my ope dealer here  in my area ,  my gerabox is shot.

He is saying it's over 400.00  (Canadian Funds) he has to get it out of Montreal.  I know we pay more here in Canada for anything it seems,  but  does this sound about right ?

Thanks

Al

Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
yates28

Re: Gear Box Assembly for Ariens Model 924121
Reply #3   Mar 6, 2010 7:40 am
Thanks for the offer GtwNorth that is very kind of you, but I already gave my dealer the go ahead to do the job.

The part is actually  less than what he had originally quoted me which is around 330.00 and your  right,  that doesn't include labour.

What  upsets me most about this whole gear box thing,  is that  I spent the extra money on a premium brand thinking that I would never have to worry about  a problem such as this.

And Ariens somewhere down the line knew that these gear boxes were not robust enough for their  higher HP machines and the gear boxes are now bigger. It is my understanding that the gearbox that was in my machine is now used on Ariens  6hp machines.

It would be interesting to know how many people have had this same problem, and why Ariens didn't recall these machines.  Shame on you Ariens.

Thanks

Al

GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #4   Mar 6, 2010 6:41 pm
You're welcome. In my searchs among used snow blowers this year, I came across several Ariens with blown gear boxes. In my limited  research it doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem for Ariens compared to other brands. I'll let the more erudite forum members shed more light on this issue.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
jrtrebor

Reply #5   Mar 7, 2010 8:28 am
Just curious as to why the shear pins didn't do their job and prevent the gear box from getting torn up. Were the augers frozen on the shafts?
yates28

Reply #6   Mar 7, 2010 12:52 pm
Good question and one that has me baffled as well.

I have had to replace a couple of shear bolts over the years and always use shear bolts , and I am diligent with maintanence like greasing the auger , so no issues there.

I have no clue as to why this happened , and the day it did happen I assumed it was just a shear bolt ... Suprise!

Al

Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42