Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh HM80 flywheel magnets and coil question.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Tecumseh HM80 flywheel magnets and coil question.
Original Message   Mar 5, 2010 11:07 pm
I've got a 8hp model #155634s tecumseh. Having some major running rich problems. Was wondering if anyone knows where the flywheel magnet should be in relation to the solid state coil. When the piston is at TDC. I had checked the keyway once before and it was fine. But the engine runs very, very rich. It will start up. It will idle just fine. But when you run it up you'll get a short burst of dense gas vapor out of the muffler. It will then run at higher rpm and fairly well (but your eyes almost burn because it's running so rich). If you then idle it back down shut it off, plug the plug. The plug and in the cyl. are wet with fuel. Had different carbs on it, EPA carbs with different jets. So I don't think it's a carb problem. Replaced the head gasket. Checked valve clearance twice. Put a different coil on it. Then today when I pulled the plug after running it. I noticed it was also wet around the plug hole underneath the plug washer and the bottom of the plug washer was also wet. So now I'm wondering if I have a problem with the plug threads in the head. That is keeping the plug from seating tight against the head (even though the plug feels tight when you tighten it down). It idles so well and there isn't any real signs of compression leakage at the plug. But maybe it's just loose enough to drop the compression ratio and keeping the fuel from fully burning. I don't know. I'm really kind of stumped right now. This could be one of those times when there are multiple problems and you don't know it. Back to my original question. Right now when the piston is right at TDC the magnet has completely cleared the coil. Don't know if that is correct. I also pulled the piston out today and found the oil ring and second compression ring end gap were aligned. With the compression ring end gap only 1/2" to one side of the other two. Though fixing that was going to take care of things, WRONG. Tomorrow I guess I will try a different head. If that doesn't work the whole thing is coming apart (again) and I'm going to, I guess check clearance on the rings, piston everything don't know what else to do. Any help would appreciated. I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what it is.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42