Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 3:47 pm
Recently I installed a tach/hour meter on my Toro 828 LXE and found theat the maximum operating governed engine speed was 3,300 RPM spiking to 3,330 RPM's.  I actually felt it was running a bit slowly but decided to use it, as is,  immediately after it stopped snowing on Sunday.  Well, we had about a foot of snow on the driveway with some 18" drifts, and the EOD was about 21", thanks to the snow plows.  The machine handled it perfectly until I got to the  EOD.  While blowing through it, the Tecumseh engine wanted to stall.  Nobody can tell me this is normal on a high end snowblower like this.  It was 15 degrees and it was freshly plowed loose snow.  If it had been wet, I would have been able to look past it.

With all the research I've done in the last 24 hours, I am nearly convinced that the governed RPM set by the manufacurer may have much to do with the horse power rating they give them.  The Tecumseh 9hp-11hp Snowking engines all vary greatly in governed RPM, as low as 3,350 up to 3,700 on the 11hp OHV version.  When I see that the Tecumseh 9hp is 318cc's and the 11hp is also 318cc's, where are they getting these horse power ratings from. Making an engine OHV gives you that much more power?

Well, I wasn't able to find the governed operating RPM for my Tec 8hp L-head engine, and given the wide margin of RPM's on their engines, I decided to raise the operating speed of mine to what I felt it should be.  Initially I raised it to 3,600 as it was suggested to me to do, but I felt this was too fast by the way it sounded.  So I then reduced it to 3,400 spiking to 3,430.  Roughly 80-100 RPM's higher than what it was. 

The result of this, I took it out into the street to the 28" high, five foot across snow drifts left on the side of the street from the snowplows.  These drifts are 8" higher than my auger housing.  The sun was out and the snow was nice and moist, perfect for making snowballs.  I raised the throttle to operating RPM, put it in 1st gear and off I sent it into the drift.  The chute started to toss the snow some 40 feet across the road and you could now hear the engine under a load.  The difference this time is that the engine was maintained speed and not a hint of it wanting to stall.  In fact, the tires actually broke loose and I started pushing it into the drift to the point it began tunneling.  The entire time the engine didn't faulter for a second and I actually felt I had a 10 hp engine on this great machine.

What a difference a very small increase in governed engine RPM makes.  At one point on Sunday I was upset with myself for not shelling out the extra money for Toro's top of the line 11 hp OHV version for over $1,600.00.  Well, after how this experiment worked out, now I feel I just saved myself over $400.00 because this snowblower can go through anything now.

Richie
Replies: 66 - 75 of 75Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RedCoupe

Re: Tecumseh Engine Horse Power Rating Discovery
Reply #66   Feb 28, 2006 4:45 pm
Fyi....copy of post regarding discussion I had with Tecumseh past November on power specifics of the 9.25 and 11Hp motors.  

Bob....
wally

Reply #67   Mar 2, 2006 8:23 pm
FYI.....

I'm told that the difference between a Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke Outboard and a Mercury 60hp 4-stroke Outboard is a carburator restricter plate (reducing the air/gas mixture and thus making a potential 60 hp motor into a 50 hp motor).  I personally haven't verified this.... but I know an authorized Mercury outboard mechanic who told me this in confidence.

*(:>)*

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #68   Mar 3, 2006 6:23 pm
KohlerTech wrote:

FWIW: Most HP ratings are for a specific RPM. Usually they do not change HP ratings just by governor settings. In fact they cannot, legally. There has to be a discernable difference between and engine that is sold as 9 HP and one that is sold as 10. Can be 1 one cent part, but it has to be there. (more than just a sticker) Many times the rated HP is at an RPM above the governor setting. In which case the engine would never see that point.

Hi Nate,

What  may be taught to a companies sales force or technicians and what the public (consumer) is sold are two different things.  Last year Marc discovered just how deep all this goes from his quote below.  

mml4 wrote:

Not sure about Tecumseh but if you remember the Briggs -Simplicity situation last spring we confirmed that the 9 through12 HP Briggs were the exact same engine. We also found that several of the engines in that run did not appear in the Briggs catalog of engines. The phantom models were produced for Simplicity by Briggs on special order and were simply re:stickered. If anyone missed that discussion search for the thread "Converation with Simplicity".

Marc  

Glad to see this post is still being tossed around.  Hopefully in the last year it has helped save the consumer a lot of money by not purchasing the higher horse power engines.

Richie

Richie
jubol

Reply #69   Mar 4, 2006 6:56 am
Richie,

I bought a 9HP OHV, 27 in cut snowblower.

The HP rating was on the blower body, not the engine!!

When I checked  my engine spec with Tecumseh, I was told that I have an 11 HP OHV Engine!!!!

Also going to their web site, my Spec numbers on my series engine is an 11 HP engine.

So I paid for 9 HP and got 11 HP!!!

Not Bad.

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Garandman

Reply #70   Mar 4, 2006 7:25 am
wally wrote:
FYI.....

I'm told that the difference between a Mercury 50 hp 4-stroke Outboard and a Mercury 60hp 4-stroke Outboard is a carburator restricter plate (reducing the air/gas mixture and thus making a potential 60 hp motor into a 50 hp motor).  I personally haven't verified this.... but I know an authorized Mercury outboard mechanic who told me this in confidence.

*(:>)*

Smaller Mercury outboards are made by Tohatsu. There's no restrictor plate. The 25hp and the 30hp are the same, the 25hp is simply measured at lower rpm.

According to the Briggs and Stratton Intek Snow brochure, the 9 & 11 hp motors have identical hp and identical torque values. I'm sure you all can do the math involved.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #71   Mar 4, 2006 8:15 am
jubol wrote:
Richie,

I bought a 9HP OHV, 27 in cut snowblower.

The HP rating was on the blower body, not the engine!!

When I checked  my engine spec with Tecumseh, I was told that I have an 11 HP OHV Engine!!!!

Also going to their web site, my Spec numbers on my series engine is an 11 HP engine.

So I paid for 9 HP and got 11 HP!!!

Hi Fred,

That is really great!  Which blower was that, the Husquvarna? 

Richie
jubol

Reply #72   Mar 4, 2006 8:30 am
Hi Richie,

Yes it was!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Snowbound

Reply #73   Mar 4, 2006 5:25 pm
What is the actual horsepower rating of my recently purchased (Feb 15) Craftsman - Briggs & Stratton  11.5 hp Snow Thrower? 

Also, what is the estimated gas consumption measured in gallons-per-hour while running the engine on high speed as recommended by the company?  The gas tank holds one gallon.

nibbler

Reply #74   Mar 5, 2006 11:14 am
Snowbound

I won't comment on the HP rating since that has been covered extensively and with much speculation. For anyone to really be able to comment they need the exact make and model of the engine, not the blower.

. As far as gas consumption is concerned you can't really give an accurate estimate since it all depends on load. Heavy wet snow will use much more gas than light fluffy stuff. The throttle on every blower I've used actually limits how high the governor can go. When the manual  throttle is in the high position the governor will try to maintain a constant operating RPM as the load on the machine changes. More load means more gas. I find I can do about 6-15 driveways of heavy wet snow before I need to refuel. Since you should top off the tank before starting up to begin with it doesn't really matter  how long it will last unless you are doing either more than one driveway or your driveway is huge.
Snowbound

Reply #75   Mar 5, 2006 7:26 pm
Thanks Nibbler.
Replies: 66 - 75 of 75Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42