Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > engagement sound

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
solara

engagement sound
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 11:39 am
MML MARC CALLS IT A GNASHING SOUND,,,,,,,but i have assumed that on the ariens when the auger is engaing that the sound it makes is  is  he sound that it is supposed to make, ie a sound of rubber engaing?  is that correct?

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Termy

Re: engagement sound
Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 9:27 pm
All belt drive system, weather its a snowblower, mower, or trimmer on wheels, they all make the screetch sound when you engae the PTO drive. What is happening here is that the belt getts pulled onto the pully and rubs against it untill up to speed. It is perfectly normal and you do not need to worry about it. But as for common sence rules, you should replace your Drive/PTO belt every year just as you do your oil change.

solara

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 10:06 pm
terminator, hanx. that is what i wanted to hear.

u change our belts every year???????

toro wanted u to cahange the auger gear case fluid every year.

ariens just says check he level. does one never change it??????

And do you  need specile ariens elixer. toro just said sae90

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 1:29 pm
I'm fairly certain i can recall a discussion saying that the gear case lube doesn't really need to be changed unless you open the case up for some other reason.  Replacing belts every year(esp on snowblowers) is a huge waste of money.  Keepin a spare set on hand don't hurt, but the new belts made with kevlar wear so well that  replacing every year is not required.  Heck since i adjusted mine after run in, i haven't even looked at it.  I get a little squak when i engage, and off i go.  I would have to bet i'll get at least 5 maybe 10 years out of my SB belts, and would expect at least 3 or 4 out of my tractor belts.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by terrapin24h

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
solara

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 5:45 pm
terrapin,

as u espouse the road of least resistance (not out of laziness, but out of lack of need), i am glad to read your words!

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2005 9:09 pm
I have a confession to make...I am a run it till it breaks kinda guy....I change the oil when I can get to it but I beat the ever livin crap out of a machine and I expect it to perform or it is gone and replaced....this goes for everything in my life....(except my wife and kids of course lol....)

My Honda has had zero service, maybe this year, maybe not....we'll see....

My Dad is the same way....Look in my profile, see the Ariens 924?, I bought it in 96 for him and I call it his but in reality it is mine.  It finally saw a service center this summer because even I finally ripped him and had enough....Did it need it? yes..would it have run more? yes...We have never opened it up once for any adjustments, never....

Do I recommend Ariens products?...Yes, Honda?...yes....

I just don't have time, there isn't any left, you will work or I will beat you and replace you...right or wrong is up for debate but in the universe where I am king that is how it goes.....

Live and perform and you earn my respect, loyalty, and financial commitment, don't and I will personally bury you in the woods out back myself and replace you with something that does....

As my life changes over the years and I have more time I will be nicer, and want to be, that is just not an option now.....but you still even then will do your job.....

C

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Termy

Reply #10   Jan 25, 2005 9:43 pm
ChrisS, you are lucky! You keep that up, and I think your Honda will need servicing soon!

sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2005 10:33 pm
ChrisS wrote:
I have a confession to make...I am a run it till it breaks kinda guy....I change the oil when I can get to it but I beat the ever livin crap out of a machine and I expect it to perform or it is gone and replaced....this goes for everything in my life....(except my wife and kids of course lol....)

My Honda has had zero service, maybe this year, maybe not....we'll see....

My Dad is the same way....Look in my profile, see the Ariens 924?, I bought it in 96 for him and I call it his but in reality it is mine.  It finally saw a service center this summer because even I finally ripped him and had enough....Did it need it? yes..would it have run more? yes...We have never opened it up once for any adjustments, never....

Do I recommend Ariens products?...Yes, Honda?...yes....

I just don't have time, there isn't any left, you will work or I will beat you and replace you...right or wrong is up for debate but in the universe where I am king that is how it goes.....

Live and perform and you earn my respect, loyalty, and financial commitment, don't and I will personally bury you in the woods out back myself and replace you with something that does....

As my life changes over the years and I have more time I will be nicer, and want to be, that is just not an option now.....but you still even then will do your job.....

C

Chris I used to work for a guy that treated me like you treat your OPE.....He never tried to bury me so I guess I did ok..LOL

I'm the same way. I try my best to take care of my machines but when it's time to go to work they better be up for it.  I have always tried to by quality things but if the quality wasn't there out the door they went.

Tom

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #12   Jan 26, 2005 12:13 am
When it gets too complicated for me, I either sell it or have someone that knows more about what I trying to fix it for me.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

navihawk

Reply #13   Jan 26, 2005 7:53 am
After that big storm I did a quick check on fasteners.I heard some rattling and found my "dash" was coming loose.One of these days I will upright it and check out the friction disk.Felt a little sticky when I was shifting the other day.I was really giving her a good workout with the plow crap.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #14   Jan 26, 2005 9:18 am
solara wrote:
terrapin,

as u espouse the road of least resistance (not out of laziness, but out of lack of need), i am glad to read your words!

Make no mistake, i do believe in PM-ing my machines(in fact next month my orange monster is getting an oil change), but why make it harder than it needs to be?  You ever change a belt on a snowblower? it's a bit of a pain....One thing i can say i'm very thankful for, is the zirc fittings on my augers.  I chopped a pin this year and man did that grease in there make it easy to replace!  took about 20 seconds(after i went and bought new pins).  In truth, i feel that machines are well built enough nowadays that even PM(except for oil changes) is almost not even required.  To an extent, i think the OPE manufacturers think most people are like Chris_S, as apposed to being like me.  If i had a shortage of time, no doubt the quality of my ope care would decrease as well.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42