Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tire chain question?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

Tire chain question?
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 9:27 am
While snow blowing  after the big storm here in MA  ,I lost both tire chains!    they slipped off  .    This  is a used machine that came with the chains.     I installed them according to directions I found on the web.  

It seems they just slipped off as apposed to coming unclipped??

any ideas ?   I lost a lot of traction without them

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Re: Tire chain question?
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2005 9:35 am
#1 did you find the chains Use heavy wire ties and make a X patern on the chains across the rim make sure they are tight

millwright

jgreen

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 9:48 am
I did find them  ,luckily they got hung up on the axles  .  

wire ties  thats a good idea !      criss crossed on the front and back of the tire should keep them from slipping of the tire.  

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 10:53 am
You should be able to install them tight enough to not slip of without needing extra cross ties. Instead of hooking up to the last link, move up a link to shorten the chains. You want then tight enough to stay put, but not so tight that you will damage the tires.

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2005 3:32 pm
Hi John. It took me a couple years to get the chain thing right on my tractor. I used bungee cords to take up the slack in mine. Preferably the hard black rubber ones with the metal hook. With the smaller Snowblower tires it can be wrapped through the chain in a triangle. Works for me. The metal ties idea sounds like a winner too.   Good luck.
                                                                                                                                                  Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42