Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Shear bolts? I don't need no stinkin' shear bolts!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
lland

Shear bolts? I don't need no stinkin' shear bolts!
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 8:43 pm
We have a function to go to yesterday.  It's snowing the whole time and when I get home there's about eight inches on the ground.  earlier in the day I was all psyched to get a blowin' but when I got home, I felt terrible and went to bet early.

I'm kind of glad I didn't clear the driveway because when I wake up, there's twice as much snow and all of the dirves that were cleared are once again, covered.  So, I go out, spend ten minutes trying to fire up the Toro before I realize I have the fuel shut-off valve on "off."  I turn it on and the 'Ol Tec starts with one pull. 

The snow is around fifteen inches deep but some drifts were three to four feet and the EOD was about three feet of pretty heavily packed snow.  El Toro handles it all in stride until I get to the right side of the EOD when I am immediately reminded of the email I recevied from Toro a while back:

"Toro snow throwers do not have shear pins.  The reason for this is if you hit something while snow throwing, the auger and engine will stop letting you know that something is wrong.  You can then remove whatever it was that you hit, start up the machine, and continue snow throwing.  If the snow thrower had shear pins, they would need to be replaced before starting the snow thrower again."

With all the snow, who expected the paper to be delivered...and the SUNDAY paper at that.  Well, true to Toro's word, the machine ingested the paper and stopped immediatley (I guess the shearless system works).  I didn't even have to look, I knew what had happened.  So, when I gor around to the front, there in all it's shredded glory is the Sunday paper jammed tight between the auger, impeller and housing.  A big screwdriver (the tool, not the drink), a sharp utility knife, and about thirty minutes of pulling out bits of paper, I get it a bit looser.  I figured since the machine got itself into this trouble, let it get itself out.  I start her up, release the auger and out flies shredded newspaper, not unlike the skiier who fell into the bug snowblower in James Bond's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

I get the driveway done, a couple of hundred feet of walk, and figure I'll do the paver walks and patio in back so the dogs will have a place to run around other than the deep snow.  While going along the sitting wall, the machine (apparently still hungry after eating the paper) scoops up about sixty feet of previously unseed low voltage wire.  This time the machine just snaps the wire and keeps running but I stop to look.  There it is, wrapped around the auger.  Off it comes, and blowing continues with no more events.  Overall, a good day.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Replies: 12 - 21 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Termy

Re: Shear bolts? I don't need no stinkin' shear bolts!
Reply #12   Jan 27, 2005 5:52 pm
Welcome to the forums!

plugger

Reply #13   Jan 27, 2005 7:37 pm
I break at least one pin every storm and it's a PITA, especially in the dark, or when your accross town and your toolbox is still at home.  I sucked up a tarp with the Ariens a few weeks ago and it was easy to get the tarp out but it took about 15 minutes of fumbling with it in the dark and cold to put a new pin in. 

Chevy  K1500,
Fisher 760LD,
Ariens 926LE Pro
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #14   Jan 27, 2005 7:46 pm
lland wrote:

I start her up, release the auger and out flies shredded newspaper

I think Toro should pay for a new paper.

Glad the shear pin free system works, though I hope my Toro doesn't eat my Sunday paper because we use it to house train the dog.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #15   Jan 27, 2005 8:35 pm
Welcome Jake,

We need the new Toro owners to let us know here what the deal is.  In the past with the drum design the machine had to be hit by a plow truck before the pin would break and it is a long one that went through the entire drum, they have been known to never have to be changed because the drum prevented things from getting sucked in if that makes sense.  I am curious to here what they have to say also.  They look and sound like a sweet machine and while I like the protection of the shear pin system I too am tired of it.....

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #16   Jan 27, 2005 8:52 pm
The old paddle wheel designs that Simplicity had in thre 60's and 70's didn't have shear pins. Something got stuck and the belt slipped. I am most curious as to how this works on the Toros. Are we to understand that there is no mechanism to protect the gear train?What happens if the blower eats a newspaper or worse?

Marc

PS- The print size modification was too small for me. Can't beleive Chris locked me out and moved me! I'm such a naughty lad!

Next time he won't let me play in the Snow!!

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #17   Jan 27, 2005 9:03 pm
mml4 wrote:

PS- The print size modification was too small for me. Can't beleive Chris locked me out and moved me! I'm such a naughty lad!

Next time he won't let me play in the Snow!!

ROFL....

OK, OK, you can still play LMAO.....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
navihawk

Reply #18   Jan 27, 2005 9:09 pm
Sometimes you can start the machine,(newer models anyways)...and keep logging the auger lever and sometimes it will free up.It works on frozen squirrells anyways.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #19   Jan 27, 2005 9:19 pm
Seriously,Toros must hve some way of protecting their gear box. If not shear pins then what?

This is only my second season using a blower with pins and I haven't broken one yet. My manual gives a torque specification of 11ft.lbs for the shear pins. Would over or under torqueing them be cause for them breaking?

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
lland

Reply #20   Jan 28, 2005 9:31 am
I was wondering about the brass colored bolts that went through the auger shaft as well.  That's why I emailed Toro since there was no mention of the shear pins in the manual.  Their wanwer was what I posted above...they have no shear pins.  Maybe the brass bolts are just to hold the auger on the shaft (brass to avoid corrosion).

But, after my run-in with the paper, it appears that the system works.  The machine shut down very quickly with no additional stress (that I noticed) on the components.

Maybe I need to get my old paper delivery service back that on occasion would manage to get the paper stuck in a tree.  At least it was off the driveway.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #21   Jan 28, 2005 11:37 am
mml4 wrote:
Seriously,Toros must hve some way of protecting their gear box. If not shear pins then what?

This is only my second season using a blower with pins and I haven't broken one yet. My manual gives a torque specification of 11ft.lbs for the shear pins. Would over or under torqueing them be cause for them breaking?

Marc 

If you under torque them they can get stressed over time and "slow shear", while rounding out the holes ni the auger and shaft.  If you go too tight they won't shear when they should.  Depending on what causes the shear, sometimes you know it and others you don't/  It's VERY important to pin changing that you keep the augers greased.  To do so, you take the pins out(so the augers spin freely on the shaft, squirt grease in via the zircs, sping the augers and replace the bolts.  I do it once/year with a heavy  synthetic wheel bearing type grease.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Replies: 12 - 21 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42