Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Should I repair my 10 year old Toro 828?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jclmjl

Should I repair my 10 year old Toro 828?
Original Message   Jan 1, 2010 2:40 pm
8 HP Briggs and Stratton engine works fine. Impeller turns but loses power in snow. Is this worth repairing or should I give it away? Posted on Craigs List and got 30 replies in 30 minutes of people willing to come and get it. Made me suspicious. What do you advise?
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Hobkirk

Re: Should I repair my 10 year old Toro 828?
Reply #5   Jan 2, 2010 2:40 pm
I rebuilt my 1995 John Deere 828D about 5 years ago and then did some more work this year (drive shaft  was seized, pulleys slightly out of alignment). This time I was really compulsive about lubricating everything and making all the controls work precisely. I also modified the gate so I could have a much faster reverse and a faster top forward speed and I relocated the light. I felt it was well worth it. I understand how it works much better, the modifications made it better, and I smile to myself every time I use it.

Another advantage (I think) is that "they used to build them better." I really don't know if it's true, but my 828D weighs 305 # w/o electric start and the new 928E weighs 250 # with electric start. The JD shop people say the old engine is much more durable.

PS 1 - I made one major mistake: I repainted the augers - a tremendous amount of work (stripping the old paint, getting them sandblasted) with very little benefit. I should have just added more paint to the original.

PS 2 - I think the Toro power shift feature is really cool.
Paul7

Reply #6   Jan 2, 2010 3:43 pm
Hobkirk wrote:
I rebuilt my 1995 John Deere 828D about 5 years ago and then did some more work this year (drive shaft  was seized, pulleys slightly out of alignment). This time I was really compulsive about lubricating everything and making all the controls work precisely. I also modified the gate so I could have a much faster reverse and a faster top forward speed and I relocated the light. I felt it was well worth it. I understand how it works much better, the modifications made it better, and I smile to myself every time I use it.

Another advantage (I think) is that "they used to build them better." I really don't know if it's true, but my 828D weighs 305 # w/o electric start and the new 928E weighs 250 # with electric start. The JD shop people say the old engine is much more durable.

I wish that I had the skills to do something like that.  Sadly I'm fantastic at taking things apart...but putting them back together is another story.
JimmyM

Reply #7   Jan 2, 2010 4:56 pm
I would repair it. Definitely.
I stripped my 1971 Gilson/Wards blower down to every last part. Cleaned, lubed, adjusted everything. I was very close to taking the impeller to a machine shop to have a new one made, but settled for just straightening it out. But little things kept needing fixing. It would have required replacement of several parts. It was just TOO old to bring back without spending a lot.
However, your Toro isn't that old.
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42