Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need help with how to adjust old Ariens shifter

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowman

Need help with how to adjust old Ariens shifter
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 6:34 pm
Have a 1970 7 hp Ariens that doesn't want to go into reverse unless I push down really hard on the shifter - to the extreme of the reverse position.   Sometimes, it also "walks" away a bit when in neutral.

I replaced the shifter assembly last year with one from a junked machine when the plunger was hopelessly seized. 

Could someone tell me where the adjustment for this is?  
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Need help with how to adjust old Ariens shifter
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2005 6:46 pm
There is Snowmann that posts here.  He is from Ariens and should be able to help you.  There are other who quite alot about Power Equipment repair, they should be able to help also.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2005 6:48 pm
It sounds to me like your tranny needs adjustment. I have run into this on a lawnmower rer too. But, not an expert on snowblower trannies so I do not know where they are and how you adjust on yours. But thats what I had to do on mine anyway.

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2005 6:49 pm
You can contact Ariens and get an Owner's / Service manual(s)...
They likely have 'em... and probably < $10...

www.ariens.com....

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2005 8:44 pm
I Too have a 70 Ariens blower with 7 hp. simular problem. I found that when I pulled the lever to disengage the drive wheel from the flat disk it wasn't releasing far enough down by the drive wheel at the transmission.  So I shortend the distance a little on the rod going up to the hand lever. then I also put grease on the shaft that the drive disk moves back and forth on.  this made a big differance.  P.S. you can adjust that rod length down by end of it near the spring.  I don't know if this is your problem, but it helped mine. I would lube all moving conponents underneath but..caution not to get any on surface of drive wheel or surface of drive plate.  I'm not a mechanic so hopefully someone can verify this or lead you in right direction.  Gene
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Reply #5   Jan 23, 2005 8:52 pm
Snowman:
Move shifter where it doesn't move foreward or reverse. At the end of the shifter rod there is a 5/16 by 3/8
set screw. Loosen set screw and  move shifter handle foreward about 3/8 to1/2 an inch.
Make sure that the rod moves thru the rod adapter and the rod adapter dosen't move
Retighten set screw and move machine thru the gears.
Post back with results
T.J. terry

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
newtonian

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 10:34 pm
wi
This message was modified Jan 24, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 1:38 pm
snowman-
    my 824 did a similar thing, when the drivsc was goin to pot.  There were all sorts of rubber shards on the shaft that had stuck to the grease on the shaft.  Got a rag moistened with gas, rubbed it all down then coated with a light coating of gear grease, and hit the fittings with my gun with the same grease.  Sounds to me as if you have a  similar prob.  I could see rust being a big pain down there too.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
snowman

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 4:44 pm
snowman  here...

Tried adjusting length of rod as suggested above.  Got the nut loose, removed cotterpin from shifter but couldn't budge the adjusting barrel using two opposed wrenches.  Tried the usual solvents and a little heat; will try again when it's easier to obtain a replacement rod if it snaps.   Going to leave well enough alone for awhile as I really need this thing to be working now.   

Internals look fine, still grease where it belongs and disk looks good without alarming amount of gunk around. 

Appreciate the advise and will update later.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2005 5:38 pm
when you were looking at the friction wheel did you notice if you could move it without it rubbing on the disc.

sounds like it is adjusted a little tight.if so you only have to back of the adjustment nut a half turn .

might need to check the book on it but the adjustment should be on the left han side near top of rear panel.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42