Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 91 - 100 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Catt

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #91   Dec 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Well I probably shouldn't, but I'm going to give my two cents here.  This is what I would do...

1) If I really liked the Honda, I would keep it rather than throwing out the $250.  I'd have the machine that I wanted and attack the wife’s machine requirements separately.

2) Find a second snow blower that my wife could operate.  Maybe it's an Ariens 20" or 24" compact snow blower or maybe it's a Toro with the curved paddle or a Honda with the curved paddle.

One thing for sure, I would have the blower that I wanted and I wouldn’t care what anybody thought.  I would keep the wife's blower as a separate but solvable issue.  But then again my wife doesn't snowblow.

opecrazy

Reply #92   Dec 29, 2009 11:31 pm
I like how you think Catt!!!!

Whats the problem with mixing the fuel beforehand?  Unless you are away for really long periods of time, then get a 4 stroke Toro.  They are only marginally heavier.  What ever you do..... don't get the electrical version.  You will end up hating it.  Its really only meant for decks... and close areas near the house.

Since saving money is always a good thing.... this is what I would do:

Maybe get an Ariens Track model for you....( since it sounds like you need the traction) and then get the wife something else.  Whatever she ends up liking.   It could be a small two stage or a single stage.

Just my humble thoughts. 
This message was modified Dec 29, 2009 by opecrazy
Steve_Cebu

Reply #93   Dec 30, 2009 7:53 am
Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping the power shovel would work as a shovel to clean up but it sounds like it won't work. My wife thinks we should have the guy come and plow the driveway and use a Toro 421 single stage to clean up. I just don't know if that unit will get down to the pavement? I also wonder if it could do the EOD cleaning up as the plow guy would come once per storm. Then the rest would be up to us. I'm also looking at a garden tractor with a snowblower attachment. But those are big and I'm not sure where I would store one.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
skier1

Reply #94   Dec 30, 2009 9:35 am
opecrazy wrote:

Maybe get an Ariens Track model for you....( since it sounds like you need the traction) and then get the wife something else.  Whatever she ends up liking.   It could be a small two stage or a single stage.

Just my humble thoughts. 

If that is the case, and you are still thinking of throwing more money at a problem, then keep the current Honda (saving yourself the $250 in restocking)and buy either a Honda  or a Toro single stage.  Either will well suit her needs and tthe 2 stage will cover the other needs.

Your wife is falling into the other end of my spectrum, I am 6'5" and have a buldging disk in my back, so I needed a unit that is easier for me to use, but at 280+ lb I can muscle around something bigger.

This message was modified Dec 30, 2009 by skier1
aa335

Reply #95   Dec 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Catt wrote:

2) Find a second snow blower that my wife could operate.  Maybe it's an Ariens 20" or 24" compact snow blower or maybe it's a Toro with the curved paddle or a Honda with the curved paddle.

I had 2 beers last night.  On first reading, your suggestion read like this to me:

2)  Find a second wife to operate my snowblower.

Let the creativity juices flow. 

Happy New Year everyone.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #96   Dec 30, 2009 3:20 pm
aa335 wrote:
I had 2 beers last night.  On first reading, your suggestion read like this to me:

2)  Find a second wife to operate my snowblower.

Let the creativity juices flow. 

Happy New Year everyone.

It seems many of us are in the same boat. lol

Happy New Year!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Catt

Reply #97   Dec 30, 2009 3:46 pm
aa335, that was pretty funny.
aa335

Reply #98   Dec 31, 2009 2:37 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
It seems many of us are in the same boat. lol

Happy New Year!

I guess it's a little bit late to put that in Santa's wish list.  Maybe next year.
aa335

Reply #99   Dec 31, 2009 3:02 pm
Catt wrote:
aa335, that was pretty funny.

Thanks.  You weren't too shy to speak your mind.

Just so you know.  I did exactly what you suggested, a year earlier.  :)  .  Both #1 and #2

The wife has never touch a snowblower or a lawnmower since, so that problem #2 is solved.
This message was modified Dec 31, 2009 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #100   Dec 31, 2009 6:15 pm
aa335 wrote:
The wife has never touch a snowblower or a lawnmower since, so that problem #2 is solved.

My wife actually likes to shovel and she really is looking forward to snow blowing. They delivered the Toro 1028. I sprayed the chute and box with Pam but since we only got about 1.5 inches it's not worth doing with the Toro. My wife really wants to try it so tomorrrow she gets her chance. I should take some pics of her snowblowing. The machine is bigger than she is! LOL

Replies: 91 - 100 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42