Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Crankcase condensation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Crankcase condensation
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 3:03 pm
I noticed today when checking the oil on my 11.5 Tecumseh that there was oil/water "cream" on the upper half of the dipstick. I assume this is a result of moisture in the crank case which is forming perhaps from my keeping the blower in a relatively warm place (about 35-40 F) after using it in temps ranging from 32 F-0 F. I would often see this in the breather/filler tube of my Ford 8N tractor which I used the past 11 years for plowing. The Ford was kept ouside in a shed. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have about 8 1/2 hours on the engine. Changed the oil from the 5W-30 to synthetic 0W-30 at the 2 hour mark.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Crankcase condensation
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2005 3:56 pm
I had that cream on my 1128 LE.  Seems that it was something they put in the engine to help it break in, but you maybe right.  I emailed Mobil awhile back, and they said that the 0W-30 was not the same as regular SAE 30 oil.  I think they recommended 10W-40, but I was told never to use that in an emgine. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2005 4:48 pm
I think I'll just swab it out when I see it. I know that water in oil will result in a creamlike liquid. I had it in the hydraulic/transmission fluid in the 8N and had to drain it. The previous owner had left it outside and water seeped in around the deteriorated gear shift boot.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Termy

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2005 5:01 pm
In my experiance, you would also get the white oatmeal looking stuff in your carb if watter mixed with gas for long periods of time. So with that known, I would not doubt that this white stuff has got something to do with the rain watter from outside.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2005 6:15 pm
Hmmm, water in the tranny.  Not good at all.  I didn't my worry about my cream.  The next oil change was around the corner though.  It went away after the change. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Blue9R

Reply #5   Jan 23, 2005 7:28 pm
Yes, the "cream" colored sludge that accumulates on a dipstick is moisture coming out of the oil in the crankcase. 

The dipstick may also function as an air vent & this is where minor amounts of moisture, driven out of the oil, as it heats up, meets the cold air & tends to collect.

Air cooled 4 cycle engines in snowblowers tend to contaminate the oil with moisture - lawnmowers contaminate with dust & debris.

Synthetic oils tend to tolerate this moisture better than older solvent refined dinos, either way, this is a good reason for an end -of -season oil change.

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #6   Jan 23, 2005 7:29 pm
Same here. Thats why its important to heat the engine up real good, to evaporate water that colects in the CC.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42