Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Clear 180: Anybody use it yet?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Toro Power Clear 180: Anybody use it yet?
Original Message   Dec 12, 2009 4:31 pm
Has anyone used the little Toro Power Clear 180 yet?  It has the 87 cc engine 4 cycle engine on it. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 55NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro Power Clear 180: Anybody use it yet?
Reply #1   Dec 13, 2009 1:28 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq7759jaD1o

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=92530
Waterloo

Reply #2   Dec 14, 2009 8:18 pm
I just bought one to use on my deck. I will let you know when we get some snow.
woweh

Reply #3   Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm
joed wrote:
Has anyone used the little Toro Power Clear 180 yet?  It has the 87 cc engine 4 cycle engine on it. 

Hi,

I bought this unit last year to clear a path for the pooch and for the walkways where I can't get my Toro 8/26 into. I can't believe how nice this little machine works, I mean I spent a lot of time clearing out the walkways and dog path for years by hand, I dreaded it after an enjoyable time doing the driveway with the 2 stage, finally bit the bullet to get one of these little guys last year to make the whole snow clearing process enjoyable and not too much work. This little machine is amazing, it even throws wet snow but you have to go slow(better then shoveling it!!) light fresh snow is a breeze, easy 10-15 ft throw with 6inches sometimes 12 inches on the ground. Well worth the money for a smaller drive way or for decks, walkways etc. I haven't needed to use it for EOD, nor will I chance it, I think that would be pushing it. Anyways, that's my take....ENJOY the new toy....Happy Holidays
woweh

Reply #4   Dec 17, 2009 10:56 pm
joed wrote:

CORRECTION: I have the last years version, same size , same engine, no safety stop lever or chute control stick..I also got the electric start version and I can see noooo need for it, prime it 2-3 times and fires on the first pull all the time.
superbuick

Reply #5   Dec 18, 2009 9:17 am
woweh - I believe the unit you have is the "powerlite" - a long running model made by Toro that is very highly regarded by just about everyone that's used one - myself included. I believe it is superior to the 180 based on what I've seen so far.
aa335

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2009 5:33 pm
From the videos that I've seen, I don't see that the 180 is worse than the powerlite.  I have confidence in Toro coming out with a new model that is larger, heavier, and 4 stroke engine that would at least equal or surpass the 10 year old design of the Powerlite.  I have used the powerlite many years ago and liked it for it's small size, lightweight, and power.  However, when the snow gets deep, I often wished that it had more biting power and wider path.  I think the new Powerclear 180 is designed to address those two wishes.  In fact, the new housing styling seems to give the model the appearance of a well built machine, unlike the utilitarian low rent look of the old model.  While some might not care for the red brick look, there are spouses that might actually use these machines that appreciate svelte curves and power bulges.

Superbuick, you seemed to be quite knowledgeable with Toro's and two stroke engines.  Your posting on the subject matter is quite useful and convincing.  If you were a salesman, I would have bought a Toro 221 and recommend it to the rest of my neighbors.   However, as I said before, I think the engineers at Toro have been quite busy at work to bring out a new model that would make us anticipate how well it can handle snow.  As they have impressed many of us in the past with the CR, CCR, and the 3650 series performance, there's is no reason why they would let us down now, barring any doubts of the origin of the engine.  I think the new Powerclear 180 will impress us again, although with initial teething pains.  However, that is to be expected, and Toro has been known to take care of issue.
woweh

Reply #7   Dec 19, 2009 8:54 am
superbuick wrote:
woweh - I believe the unit you have is the "powerlite" - a long running model made by Toro that is very highly regarded by just about everyone that's used one - myself included. I believe it is superior to the 180 based on what I've seen so far.

superbuick,  yes that is the unit I have. Thanks for the correction. I am sure the 180 will be a hit just like the 2 stroke powerlite!! Hoping for more snow these upcoming weeks, especially for Christmas!!! See ya
superbuick

Reply #8   Dec 20, 2009 12:29 pm
aa335 - I see your points with regards to the styling design of the snowblower - certainly it is more appealing to the eyes.  However I disagree on two points - the width and the weight.  The original powerlite was so successful and such a hit because it combined light weigh (37lbs) with amazing power (98cc 2 stroke) and a small width.  Changing these dimensions and specs (less power, more weight, more width) is a classic case of marketing study dilution.  Its like the case of the Honda Accord, the BMW 3-series, or so many wonderful sports cars.  Marketing studies show that when asked  "were you to add something to make XYZ better, what would it be?", customers inevitably will suggest something that it doesn't have (more space, more seating, more cupholders, a softer ride, etc).  Objectively speaking, all of these wishes are OK, but when added to the smash-hit original product, they dilute the essence of what made it a smash hit.  The original accord was light, reliable, handled well, and simple.  The new ones are big, fat, handle like a big marshmallow, and are overly complicated and difficult to work on.  Same thing with SO many other vehicles and products (not to rip on the accord - I just lament every new iteration as it drifts further and further from what made it so wonderful to begin with)  I see the same things happening with snowblowers.  The powerlite was just fine the way it was - and thats why it sold so many and you read review after positive review.  The few negative reviews were "it doesnt handle deep or heavy snow!".....uuuhh....its TINY....its not meant for that....  It did what it was designed to do, and very well.

That being said, its not specifically the Power Clear 180 that I take issue with - its the direction that Toro and others are taking.  Bigger, dumber, and more complicated.
aa335

Reply #9   Dec 21, 2009 11:09 am
You are right about the Accord.  I think the best driving one was 1993 Honda Accord, love the agressive shifting automatic transmission.  The 1994-1997 Accord were more comfortable but lost a lot of steering feel and automatic transmission was lazy.   The 1998-2001 Accord were too floaty for my taste.  The V6 engine has anemic bottom end torque and wheezy top end horsepower.  These last 3 generations of Accords got larger and larger to accomodate American growing belt sizes, ie the seats got wider and flatter.  It was great for carrying passengers but bore the hell out of the driver.

Back on topic, the jury is still out on the new Toro Powerclear 180.  Let me know when you add this one to your collection and provide an honest side to side comparison to the old standby Powerlite 325.  Your reviews are greatly appreciated.  *wink*

I'd get one myself but if I buy another snowblower, my wife will sign me up for SA.  "Snowblower Anonymous".  That might be bad, surrounded by others with the same affliction.  hehehe.
superbuick

Reply #10   Dec 21, 2009 12:13 pm
I think the key is to look at SCCA road racing and autocross - used to be Hondas everywhere - now you'll never see anything new save for a sporty civic or an S2000. GM is making a big comeback - look at any road race and you'll see new GM cars all over the grid, doing well too. Of course you have contingency money, but us race drivers don't just drive for money - we drive to win too. I certainly would love to get the chance to try out the new PowerClear 180 - If I do I'll certainly post a review here.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 55NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42