Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Engine surging after warmup

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ronnieray

Engine surging after warmup
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 12:11 pm
Had our first significant snow this weekend. Took the 1984 Toro 7/24 out to blow the drive and walk. Tempature was about 3 below. After about 25-30 minutes of blowing the engine started to surge. Checked gas, and there was plenty (1/5 full) in the tank to rule out gas stravation as the cause.  I was able to finish the job but the surging would occur periodically, then back to normal. Any ideas as to what else may be the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Engine surging after warmup
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2005 2:04 pm
There's been alot of posts that seem to point to carb icing this season? Colder than people are used to? Alot more snowblowers?

Mine will do that 1/5 full going down a steep hill. Not up, just down.

Is the govenor nice and free? No ice, snow building up? Nothing expanding, due to heat, a little bit making the govenor sticky?

I think I would try to make sure it was not an icing problem first. All baffles and heat tubes are clear and in place? No mice nests or anything keeping the exhaust air from warming the carb? None rusted and fell off? This is a new problem? This year? Similar conditions to last year?

Can you post as many details as possible about the machine and the situaion, so someone that really knows can help?
ronnieray

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2005 2:16 pm
Thanks Robmints,

The problewing m is new this year. I have since my posts taken a better look at the gas tank. The screen inside had considerable debris on it, so I cleaned it up and hopefully that will help. Also, now that I think about it the problem seemed to occur when I was blowing on the incline. I didn't think at the time that is was sufficient to effect the gas flow but maybe it was. I will fill the tank with gas and go for a run to see if the problem was in fact "gas stravation." Thanks for the help.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2005 2:33 pm
My 8hp L-head engine did the same thing today after about 25 minutes of use.  It started to surge up and down about 300 rpms  for several minutes, then it suddenly stopped doing it.  I decided to wait until all the snow had fallen and then went out to do the driveway.  So there was no snow or icing on it prior to taking it out for the first time this morning.  Aside from that, it worked great.  I do wish there was a way to undo what the EPA has done with the carbs on these new snowblowers so I can richen up the fuel mixture.  I really don't like how lean these machines run. 

Richie
jubol

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2005 2:45 pm
 Ronnieray,

Welcome to the best OPE forum on the web!!

If you are stuck with a problem, speak up and some one very knowledgeble here will help you with solving it.

Every day I learn something new!!!

Fred    

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jan 23, 2005 4:13 pm
I wonder why Tecumseh can't put a bottom on the metal frame that covers the carburetor, with a hole for the breather tube?  Definitely a cover that quick-disconnects. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Jan 23, 2005 4:38 pm
Jeff,

Is that what the problem may be that causes the surging, a clogged breather tube? I've never removed the cover to look at the carb on this Toro.  Are there any other reasons that would cause temporary engine surges?  Thanks.

Richie
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2005 4:45 pm
Oh, I really don't know what I'm talking about.  I'd just think that cover would prevent the snow from getting into the linkages and freezing them.  Ice seems to be a big reason.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2005 4:58 pm
It sounds like your carb is all gumed up, or mabie the holes in the jets. I would advise you to clean out your carb with automotive Gumout spray liquid. Even though it says autmotive, it works fine for small engines too! I use it all the time and it cleans well. But if you do use it, make sure you where goggles. Let me know how it goes.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Jan 23, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi Terminator,

Thank you for the advice, but this Toro snowblower has just over 2 hours on it.  My gas can is always kept extremely clean as well and I use PRI-G religiously.  I did remember something, the gas stations here in New York use that winter mix gasoline, mixed with methanol or something.  I don't know exactly what, but I'm sure they do it in many states starting around November 1st.  Could that have something to do with it?  Thanks for your suggestions.

Richie
spottedpony

Reply #10   Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm
my neighbor experienced a similar problem on a generator in cold weather, ( ran it full time for a 17 day power outage a couple of years ago) which i suspect is due to moisture forming in the fuel system and condensing in cold temps.  his has no neat shield around the carb (where mine does so i think the carb stayed warmer helping elimate the problem on mine. ) & after it had run long enough to get good and warm would surge so bad under load it would almost die to

anyway to the point.....what we found did alot to solve the surging problem was add a litle heet fuel treatment to the gas, it helps displace moisture & prevent ice from forming.

another case during the same storm someone told me about and indicates its a condensation problem ......same thing, after a while in the cold his generator started surging badly......he rigged a cardboard box around the carb/air intake to help heat the air and carb.....and the problem went away.

perhaps try both....some heet and some sort of heat shield around the carb to hold the heat in during very cold temps

Replies: 1 - 10 of 14NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42