Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Engine surging after warmup

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ronnieray

Engine surging after warmup
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 12:11 pm
Had our first significant snow this weekend. Took the 1984 Toro 7/24 out to blow the drive and walk. Tempature was about 3 below. After about 25-30 minutes of blowing the engine started to surge. Checked gas, and there was plenty (1/5 full) in the tank to rule out gas stravation as the cause.  I was able to finish the job but the surging would occur periodically, then back to normal. Any ideas as to what else may be the problem?

Thanks for the help!

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Engine surging after warmup
Reply #5   Jan 23, 2005 4:13 pm
I wonder why Tecumseh can't put a bottom on the metal frame that covers the carburetor, with a hole for the breather tube?  Definitely a cover that quick-disconnects. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Jan 23, 2005 4:38 pm
Jeff,

Is that what the problem may be that causes the surging, a clogged breather tube? I've never removed the cover to look at the carb on this Toro.  Are there any other reasons that would cause temporary engine surges?  Thanks.

Richie
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2005 4:45 pm
Oh, I really don't know what I'm talking about.  I'd just think that cover would prevent the snow from getting into the linkages and freezing them.  Ice seems to be a big reason.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Termy

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2005 4:58 pm
It sounds like your carb is all gumed up, or mabie the holes in the jets. I would advise you to clean out your carb with automotive Gumout spray liquid. Even though it says autmotive, it works fine for small engines too! I use it all the time and it cleans well. But if you do use it, make sure you where goggles. Let me know how it goes.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Jan 23, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi Terminator,

Thank you for the advice, but this Toro snowblower has just over 2 hours on it.  My gas can is always kept extremely clean as well and I use PRI-G religiously.  I did remember something, the gas stations here in New York use that winter mix gasoline, mixed with methanol or something.  I don't know exactly what, but I'm sure they do it in many states starting around November 1st.  Could that have something to do with it?  Thanks for your suggestions.

Richie
spottedpony

Reply #10   Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm
my neighbor experienced a similar problem on a generator in cold weather, ( ran it full time for a 17 day power outage a couple of years ago) which i suspect is due to moisture forming in the fuel system and condensing in cold temps.  his has no neat shield around the carb (where mine does so i think the carb stayed warmer helping elimate the problem on mine. ) & after it had run long enough to get good and warm would surge so bad under load it would almost die to

anyway to the point.....what we found did alot to solve the surging problem was add a litle heet fuel treatment to the gas, it helps displace moisture & prevent ice from forming.

another case during the same storm someone told me about and indicates its a condensation problem ......same thing, after a while in the cold his generator started surging badly......he rigged a cardboard box around the carb/air intake to help heat the air and carb.....and the problem went away.

perhaps try both....some heet and some sort of heat shield around the carb to hold the heat in during very cold temps

Termy

Reply #11   Jan 23, 2005 6:54 pm
Possibly, I don't know. Mabie check your manual and see if it list anything on the propper gas to use. Or mabie contact your dealer, or manufacture for info. This is something I would like to find out.

Termy

Reply #12   Jan 23, 2005 7:02 pm
spottedpony is right. Thats why I mentioned to clean your carb cause you could have watter buildup.

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #13   Jan 23, 2005 8:27 pm
Thanks Terminator, I'll check into that.

SpottedPony, is that "Heet" additive like dry gas?  I didn't  notice anything in the owners manual that says not to use additives like that, so I'll give it a try.  I'll try to find some online and order it.  As for making a shield for under the carb box, I like that idea but I'm also concerned about starving the engine of fresh air.  I'm going to stop my my dealer tomorrow and pose these questions to him.

Richie
Majorxlr8n

Reply #14   Jan 24, 2005 11:23 am
RonnieRay - Richen up the high speed carb mixture screw (or power screw as Toro refers it) about a 1/4 turn counterclockwise. Surging is caused by a lack of fuel. This adjustment should cure it. If not, drop the carb bowl, clean the bowl nut, bowl & high speed needle.

Marty

Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42