Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Heating the shed.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Heating the shed.
Original Message   Jan 22, 2005 6:22 pm
I had this topic going about a year ago on WTB, and it was quite a mixed bag. Very different methods, but my main concern is safety. Many warned about igniting gas fumes. I would like to start this topic again to see different methods discussed and the safety factor as pertaining to each. I do have a small electric ceramic heater I could use, but on the directions it states do not use where there are gas or paint fumes. Because it "arcs". The little propane Mr. heaters that attach right to the 20 lb tanks look nice, but are they any safer? MR. HEATER    The shed is 12 feet x 20 feet, and has a roof ridge vent and vents on each side at the top. Any comments are appreciated.
                                                                                                                                      Thanks Kevin
This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by Vangellis

Simplicity Conquest
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Heating the shed.
Reply #1   Jan 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Are you wanting to heat it just while you're out there or, are you wanting to provide it a little heat to keep things a tad warmer 24/7?

If it's to warm up some while you're out there, have no problem at all with using a good space heater, just be sure all of your gasoline vents are closed and sealed. I've used this type of stuff in my garages filled motorcylces, boats, lawn mowers and the like, for 25-30 years. Remember to let in fresh air now and them if your area is very tightly enclosed. Use common sense and you'll be OK!

Some I like:

Oh yea, if you're wanting to keep it a little warmer 24/7, use a heat lamp bulb.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by Marshall
robmints

Reply #2   Jan 22, 2005 6:58 pm
Are you trying to heat you or your stuff?

Do you have electricity in the shed?
Termy

Reply #3   Jan 22, 2005 7:00 pm
Because of the previous thread I viewed, I believe he is trying to heat up his stuff. Meaning, keep a good room temputure of 50 degrees.

Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Reply #4   Jan 22, 2005 7:42 pm
Thanks for the replys gentlemen. I'm basically just trying to heat up the equipment on days like this, to make sure it's ready to go. Night times in the minus 5 degrees, daytime was 10 degrees. Tough starting. I was out in the shed quite a while today and didn't get to cold myself. I had my gloves off and on and only had a few moments of the cold finger tips. The shed is well vented and has a high ceiling. I'm just trying to err on the side of caution.

I do like the heaters you have pictured Marshall. Yes, I'm sure common sense comes into play here.

Robmints, yes I do have an extension cord run out to the shed. I will have a regular line out there as soon as my brother the electrician can get to it. He works cheap for me.  LOL
                                                                                                         Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
robmints

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2005 7:56 pm
The reason for my questions were to see if you could use a heat souce like a heat tape to warm the equipment before use. If you used a light or heat tape to warm the stuff, maybe the night before, just by plugging in the extention cord. The machines should be ready to go in the morning. Maybe you could use a cheap timer if you wanted to melt and dry the machines after use.

If you are just concerned about start up, a dipstick heater might do a real good job.

I think heating up the stuff is alot easier than heating the whole shed..
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2005 8:50 pm
Hi Kevin,

I gave up using radiant heaters several years ago.  I've found the DeLonghi brand heaters that Lowes sells are fantastic.  They are the oil filled variety and look great and take up very little room.  True they are designed to be used in your house, but I would assume as long as you keep them dry, I don't see it would be a problem.  If you really need to keep your snowblower or other OPE warm in the winter, I couldn't see you do much better than one of these heaters.  They are totally safe.  In fact, I have used mine in my garage when I've had to work on my snowblower or car in the cold.  DeLonghi is the brand I buy, I actually have two of them.  There are other similar brands that I'm sure are just as good.  The thermostat works really well too.  Hope this helps.

Richie
spottedpony

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2005 7:09 pm
another option if your going to put power out there is be sure to run 240 instead of 120......then install an electric baseboard electric heater,. if your shed is insulated a 6 ft baseboard should be adiquate to maintain a temp making equipment easy to start as well as being much more comfortable if you have to perform cold weather repairs or maintence.

even just insulating can make a 20 degree temp difference from inside to outside and will be benificial no matter what source of heat you decide on.

Termy

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2005 7:26 pm
spottedpony is correct once again! Insulating your shed will stop the wind from getting into there, and also will keep moisture vapor out of the shed. And that is another large concerne with OPE. Do as spottedpony suggested and you should be fine!

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #9   Jan 23, 2005 7:55 pm
Kevin, I have used the first kind that Marshall showed to heat Joint compound buckets when doing new construction. The rooms were about the same size as your shed with drywall walls and plywood decking. We blocked off the room to keep heat in. They worked real well because they didn't need electricity. However, as you have electric there, the oil filled that Richie discussed would make a great choice because there is no flame/sparks etc. (They look like small radiators with the thermostat on the side) *Make sure the extension cord can handle the current the heater needs!!! One thing to keep in mind with gas or any flammable substance is that it won't (usually) ignite unless the concentration is between its LFL and UFL (lower flammable limit and upper flammable limit)In short the Oxygen/fuel concentration must be correct for ignition to occur. That is why a flooded engine won't fire. I have other examples but due to this public format and safety reasons I won't discuss them here. I hope this helps.Walt
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42