Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > simplicity I1224E snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jack

simplicity I1224E snowblower
Original Message   Nov 10, 2009 4:47 pm
i'm interested in buy a 24in simplicity snowblower for a driveway i'll say 60 x20 with a small slope upwards from the house. same engine and torque as the L1226E. aluminum gear case though. any kind of help will appreciated.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 30NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: simplicity I1224E snowblower
Reply #1   Nov 10, 2009 5:18 pm
So Jack, what kind of help are you looking for?

Are you buying used or new? What kind of price?

The machine you're looking at is big enough for the job provided you're not in a huge snow fall area.
jack

Reply #2   Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm
new at 850.00. i'm in western mass. last year was a so-so year for snow , but i hear this winter could be bad.  usually the storms are 5-12 inches. sometimes wet, sometimes fluffy. you know the score borat.  lol
This message was modified Nov 10, 2009 by jack
jack

Reply #3   Nov 13, 2009 2:34 pm
hi borat, so do you agree with this choice? how good is the aluminum gear housing?  thx
borat

Reply #4   Nov 13, 2009 2:52 pm
The aluminum gear cases used on the premium machines seem to be stout looking. Much sturdier than the can opener gears on the MTD/AYP products I've seen recently in the box stores. For twenty years I had previously owned two Craftsman 10 h.p. machines that had aluminum gear cases. Never had a problem with them. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
jack

Reply #5   Nov 14, 2009 8:02 am
thanks for your info. is 850.00 a good price for the 1124e? and what parts should be lubricated.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2009 by jack
borat

Reply #6   Nov 14, 2009 10:08 am
jack wrote:
thanks for your info. is 850.00 a good price for the 1124e? and what parts should be lubricated.

Here's some info from another post:

First thing I'd do is pull the wheels off and use a good water resistant grease to lube the axles. Snowmobile grease is great for snow throwers. Although not necessary, I like to use an outdoor cable/chain/gear grease in a spray can (motorcycle chain lube will do) to lube the drive chains inside the chassis. Make sure you cover the friction plate and drive disk before applying the grease to the chains. You don't want to get any on them. Lube all friction points for the controls. While you're in there, put a thin layer of oil on the hex shaft. I like to use a light spray grease on pivots and light multi purpose oil to spray into the insides of any cables. Grease the auger shaft.

Check belts for condition and proper tension. Go over all fasteners with a wrench to tighten anything that might be loose. Make sure you're fuel tank is clean and passing fuel to the carb. If the machine is running well, chances are they're fine. If there's no obvious leaking at the auger drive gear case, I leave it as is. As long as there's lube inside and it doesn't have a catastrophic event, it should last the life of the machine without messing with it. Others might disagree but I've never had one leak nor changed fluid in one in twenty years.
jack

Reply #7   Nov 18, 2009 5:04 pm
so borat do i buy it? seems like the best one overall.  thx
borat

Reply #8   Nov 18, 2009 8:13 pm
For your application, it seems like a decent choice. The price is good. I'd go for it.
jack

Reply #9   Nov 24, 2009 5:07 pm
anyone else out there have any comments to add  thank you
Snowmann

Reply #10   Nov 24, 2009 11:06 pm
jack wrote:
anyone else out there have any comments to add  thank you

There are better deals for the money than this unit. Briggs Power Products has followed a business plan that involves accumulating a premium brand portfolio (Snapper and Simplicity), then placing those brands on less esteemed equipment (Murray). The true intermediate platform for Simplicity (the latest being the 860EI) was discarded years ago. So were the legacy Snapper designs. Even the "Large" Simplicity platform is heavily compromised (only the blower head remains as a substantial legacy Simplicity assembly, and even that was compromised with a change to use grease instead of gear oil in the auger gearbox). That is, this Simplicity you are considering is a red Murray. $850 is too much for this configuration. I would suggest you look around at the mass retailers. You can get a bigger 27" Brute or Murray branded (similar) machine for the same $$ (on sale) with more features (even a Snapper at Sears, they have the M1227E at sears for $899 quite often). Wallyworld, Menards, Sears....

An Ariens 24E Deluxe would be a good upgrade at $899 as well (if a headlight is a big deal to you, a kit is available). The Husqvarna-built Poulan stuff is also higher grade than this Simplicity machine if you've considered such and have that preference.

Lastly, it's not snowing much most places. Hold out for a good deal and keep your eye on the weather. As soon as snow is eminent, the deals go away...
This message was modified Nov 24, 2009 by Snowmann
Replies: 1 - 10 of 30NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42