Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowthrower ramming speed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
18Degrees

Snowthrower ramming speed
Original Message   Jan 22, 2005 12:57 pm
Just finished with 6 and 31/32" of snow here is Wisconsin.  It was very light and swirl in your face powder.  I do the major EOD at the end of our culdesac ( Marshall, do I get extra post points for using the word culdesac?) and really like the Honda Hydrostatic Transmission.  With one hand on the shift lever I repeatedly ram the snow bank at full speed to quickly back up and do it again without having to disenguage the Drive Clutch Lever.  If anyone has a lot of forth and back* to do, I recommend the honda.

*  Footnote-one must go forth before one may go back.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Snowthrower ramming speed
Reply #1   Jan 22, 2005 1:24 pm
Sorry, but it's actually cul de sac. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #2   Jan 22, 2005 10:17 pm
18degrees,

No need to repeatedly ram a Hydrostatic drive Honda into the EOD. You can finesse your way through the bank by going as slow or as fast as it takes to gooble snow at a rate that allows it to blow well for the type of snow pack.  My neighbors with their fixed speeds have to take runs at the EOD sometimes, but I just slow down and just go through in one pass.

Sorry, I vote for you not to get extra posting points for mangling that expression.   You had all the letters in the right places, but missed a couple of  hyphens: cul-de-sac.   As the say, "Close but no cigar." or in this case no extra points. 

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by Highwind

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Termy

Reply #3   Jan 22, 2005 10:44 pm
Ok guys, what does EOD mean. And what does he mean by ramming the Hydrostatic Drive. That sounds like a bad thing to me. What is he doing? I need to understand.

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #4   Jan 22, 2005 10:49 pm
End Of Driveway plow pile, always the deepest, heaviest hardest to move snow. 

What he is doing is using his track drive machine as a mini ram which you can do with the track models as they are very difficult to tip backwards.

The beauty of the hydro is that you don't need to do that.  You can if you want to though.

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
18Degrees

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2005 11:35 pm
Highwind,   

This was on the EOD (end of drive) snow pile at my driveway. It is plow compacted and repacted again by the plow trying to clear out the culd-de-sac. This EOD was about 31  and 13/16" high.  It was too hard this time to crawl through on slow speed.  I had to go at 90 Degrees to the curb and shave off the top.

Hydrostatic= :)

The ramming speed is the snowthrower it self, to get a faster run at the compacted snow.

1.0047 MPH=ramming speed

.00000083 MPH=the speed your underwear creeps up on you.

18 Degrees

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Termy

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2005 11:48 pm
Thanks for clerifying ChrisS. I am still learning about these machines concerning I don't even own one. So, it helps to have people like you to learn from. Interesting way to do that though. I can see where a Hydrostatic tranny would be much easier. How much money do I have to send you ChrisS LOL? First you helped me with my ankle and now this.

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2005 1:07 am
Yes Chris the hydro's are nice.  I like single Malt Scotch....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
jogo

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2005 11:18 am
"Just finished with 6 and 31/32" ".    You are a real details kinda guy i bet!

Red Max EB78001 blower
Echo PB1000 blower
Sears ? blower
Sears 16" chainsaw
John Deere STX38
Murray 21" push mower
Echo SRM1501 weed wacker
Excell/Honda pressure washer
Ariens 11528
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42