Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens #526025: 8.5-11.5 Belt Improvement Kit

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
moosebudda

Ariens #526025: 8.5-11.5 Belt Improvement Kit
Original Message   Oct 7, 2009 10:13 am
While on parts radar looking for things I came across "526025: 8.5-11.5 Belt Improvement Kit" for my snowblower. Does anyone know what this kit does and what it looks like? I'm wondering if it's worth trying to order.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Ariens #526025: 8.5-11.5 Belt Improvement Kit
Reply #13   Jan 10, 2010 2:21 pm
whitetail wrote:
I agree that proper belt adjustment is very important....but with a higher hp engine ( above 10 hp) and the standard 1/2" belt with a full load of slush puts a strain on the belt, and if its done for hrs,
 duel belts are the only way to go. Belts are the weak point in the system .

Dual belts might prolong belt life to some degree but I doubt that it does anything to enhance performance. I'm not saying that it's not a nice feature. If I had it on my machine, I wouldn't be taking it off. On the other hand, I certainly will not pay to put a dual pulley/belt system on. Don't see a need for it. My machine goes for hours and a multiple tanks of fuel, pumping heavy wet snow without a hiccup. Last March 31st, we received 30" of heavy wet snow. My Simplicity burned close to three tanks of fuel, one right after the other clearing three big driveways as well as the EOD snow deposits. I was pretty much beat by the time I had finished the work but the Simplicity with it's single belt/pulley system was still moving snow as if it were brand new. So the question is, with that kind of performance, do we really need two pulleys and two belts?
Paul7

Reply #14   Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm
I have an Ariens 11.5hp sno-thro that's a few years old.  The model number is 926002.  Is there any way to know if a dual auger belt kit will work on my machine?  I went to Ariens web site but couldn't find the answer there.
Rex1

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2011 5:04 am
Ariens just e-mailed me 72600700 dual belt kit for my 2006 1128 LE.  IMHO, the unit lacks a creeper speed which makes removing heavy wet snow a problem with impeller and chute clogging and stretching out the single belt.  They now have this dual belt system that's supposed to be an improvement.  I have on order and will have to see.  I'm also considering a Clarence Impeller Kit that review rate highly for increasing throwing ability in wet snow.  I have an old simplicity that handles the wet snow better (10 hp 32") than this newer Ariens (11.5 hp, 28").  One reason is the creeper speed so the unit has time to process the wet snow, also has added 400 rpm kick in under heavier loads.  Ariens needs to pick it up a notch and take a lesson from simplicity. 
trouts2

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2011 7:31 am
Rex1 wrote:
I have an old simplicity that handles the wet snow better (10 hp 32") than this newer Ariens (11.5 hp, 28").  One reason is the creeper speed so the unit has time to process the wet snow, also has added 400 rpm kick in under heavier loads.  Ariens needs to pick it up a notch and take a lesson from simplicity. 

What is "creeper speed"?  You seem to be refereing to some seperate gear or option other than 1st, the slowest selection of the standard friction disk and drive plate type. 

ALSO:

You said the 1032 also had a 400 rpm kick.  How did that happen in the 1032?  What factory model number was that?

Rex1

Reply #17   Jan 27, 2011 11:25 pm
Circa 1995 simplicity 10hp 32".  An absolute beast in heavy snow.  I had to put my Ariens 1128le back today.  It needs this new dual belt kit.  Simplicity unit kicks in additional rpm when you hit heavy wet snow.  Did 5 driveways with the Simplicity without a hiccup (18" of snow last night).  Creeper speed is a super slow ground speed that gives the auger time to process the heavy snow.  You  especially need this at the end of the driveway where the plow piles up the icy heavy stuff.  Dual belt kit and upgrade chute kit on order for the Ariens 1128 LE.  Hopefully arrive and installed before the next snow and will give the Ariens another go.  Ariens 1128 LE has great features but up to now it has been nothing but a failure in the heavy snow removal.  Ariens has larger diameter auger than Simplicity and for some reason isn't performing properly despite several trips to a dealer for adjustments.  Looks to me like the auger belt is stretched out.  I've barely used this Ariens unit since buying it at HD 4 years ago.  It's very difficult to adjust ground speeds properly.  I gave up 1 reverse speed to get a creeper speed (sometimes kicks back into reverse because it's on the borderline).  IMHO, Simplicity is better with heavy snow.
trouts2

Reply #18   Jan 28, 2011 9:36 am

Rex1,

From what you wrote you make it sound like Simplicity has some special stuff.

Simplicity does not have a special mechanism to kick in an additional “400 RPM” on loading.  It has the same governor mechanism other engines have and nothing related to specific values of RPM.  No extra boost.  It has a governor.

By “creeper speed:” you’re referencing first or slowest speed which all machines have so nothing special.  Your moving your friction disk to be so close to the center is not so good for the life of the friction disk.  It would be better to back off from the center for a reasonable slow and take a lesser cut.  If you cut 28 wide at a very slow speed or take a lesser cut at a faster speed your overall clearing time will be approximately the same.  You’ll tax your friction disk and engine less by loading it reasonably and move along at a comfortable speed.  The lesser cut less loading allows the engine to run more comfortably at a higher rpm keeping up the tossing distance.  Seems like you’ve stretched out your belt by overdriving and overloading.

Rex1

Reply #19   Jan 29, 2011 4:34 am
I've been blowing snow for years.  The Simplicity 1032 does have a governor that kicks in under heavier loads and works very well without stretching out the auger belt.  I don't have to take a 1/2 cut either because it does have a super slow creeper speed.  Suggesting 1/2 cut at higher speeds to me doesn't mean equal performance.  I've adjusted the Ariens 1128 LE down to a slower forward speed (not as slow as the Simplicity), but maybe it will be enough with the on order dual belt auger upgrade kit.  IMHO right now the Ariens 2006 1128 LE isn't performing up to the level of my older 1032 Simplicity, and not even satisfactorily in our recent snows in CT.  It's in storage until this dual belt upgrade kit arrives and is installed.  I've adjusted it to go slower by giving up 1 of the reverse speeds (which I don't really need anyway).  I like the release to make turns easier, the heated handles are nice, but performance less than what should be expected from a unit with more HP  and a larger impeller.  I see no point in just replacing the current stretched out auger belt if a replacement will suffer the same fate in a short time.  I'll wait and see if this dual belt kit gives the performance that should be expected from this 1128 LE
Mikey

Reply #20   Jan 29, 2011 9:19 am
Rex1 wrote:
I've been blowing snow for years.  The Simplicity 1032 does have a governor that kicks in under heavier loads and works very well without stretching out the auger belt.  I don't have to take a 1/2 cut either because it does have a super slow creeper speed.  Suggesting 1/2 cut at higher speeds to me doesn't mean equal performance.  I've adjusted the Ariens 1128 LE down to a slower forward speed (not as slow as the Simplicity), but maybe it will be enough with the on order dual belt auger upgrade kit.  IMHO right now the Ariens 2006 1128 LE isn't performing up to the level of my older 1032 Simplicity, and not even satisfactorily in our recent snows in CT.  It's in storage until this dual belt upgrade kit arrives and is installed.  I've adjusted it to go slower by giving up 1 of the reverse speeds (which I don't really need anyway).  I like the release to make turns easier, the heated handles are nice, but performance less than what should be expected from a unit with more HP  and a larger impeller.  I see no point in just replacing the current stretched out auger belt if a replacement will suffer the same fate in a short time.  I'll wait and see if this dual belt kit gives the performance that should be expected from this 1128 LE

Suggesting 1/2 cut at higher speeds to me doesn't mean equal performance.

+1
IMHO right now the Ariens 2006 1128 LE ...{is} not even satisfactorily in our recent snows in CT.  I

+1 I own the same machine and live in CT as well
but maybe it will be enough with the on order dual belt auger upgrade kit. 

Are you getting this from Ariens? How much? Why do you think it will help,, mechanically speaking?
I've adjusted it[1128LE] to go slower by giving up 1 of the reverse speeds (which I don't really need anyway).

How did you do this? This makes sense to me. Start stops create belt slippage and clutch wear regardless of number/size of belts. Appreciate any help before the next storm kills me ;) Mike
trouts2

Reply #21   Jan 29, 2011 10:00 am

Mikey>> Start stops create belt slippage and clutch wear regardless of number/size of belts.

Will have zero direct effect on his auger belt and minimal effect on the drive belt.

A couple of Ariens 1028’s were used hear over the first few storms with no problem.  One had a ground speed of .8mph.  For full bucket clearing of tough conditions the drive had to be worked to let it gather and toss at an acceptable distance.  Otherwise the engine would just sag heavily, toss poorly and if continued would just stretch out the belt. That would be over driving the machine.

>>>Suggesting 1/2 cut at higher speeds to me doesn't mean equal performance.

But it will let you use your machine and not have to replace belts.

>>>despite several trips to a dealer for adjustments.  Looks to me like the auger belt is stretched out.  

Sounds like after several trips to the dealer you not sure about the belt.  How can that be?  After several trips to the dealer they and you are not sure about the condition of the belt?

A properly fitted belt should be fine and last for a number of years with proper use.  It would be pretty easy to nuke a belt with a 10 or 11hp though.  A dual system would prolong the belt life but >>>it should have zero effect on performance in the short term<<<.  My machines if overloaded will just sag through their power range until they buck and stall without slipping.  Going to two or several belts won’t make any difference in performance on you next trip out over a properly fitted single belt.

You can run you 11hp into the ground by overtaxing it, stretch belts and degrade the engine life and be wicked unhappy with your machine or back off, let it take in what it can toss at 25-45 feet and be much happier.    

Expidia

Reply #22   Jan 3, 2013 10:25 am
Wow, I love Google as I asked the question as to why my 5 yr old electric start Ariens 11.5 hp was going through impeller belts? I've probably had to change the belt 4 times already. And of course, now again at the first snowstorm of the year. It was a heavy wet 8-10 inch snowstorm up here in Albany NY. I concur with the feedback here so far. My Son has a smaller Craftsman unit and he has yet to change a belt and we bought them around the same time. I agree in the fact that because its a 28 inch swath it feeds the snow into the impeller too fast and it stretches out the rather thin in my opinion impeller belt. A slower feeder speed as mentioned below speed 1 would have been a nice option. I had another 8 hp Ariens for 20 years and don't think I went through more than a few belts over 20 years. Seemed to be the exact same belt design too but the 8 hp took less of an sugar full as the 11.5hp model. belts dry out over time anyway and break. So from these threads I see Ariens is aware of the issue and offer the "Belt Drive upgrade kit" for 8.5-11.5 hp units I called a local Ariens parts dealer from their website. It was a hardware store and the service guy did not have a clue to what I was looking for! Here is where I found it: WWW.propartsdirect.net. One of the above posts had the item number correct. it's #52602500 Only $30.58 with free shipping. Site lists NH as their address. Probably does not include two new belts for that price, I'm guessing the kit is just the two pulleys to hold two belts. I already had two spare belts on order anyway. Nice part is the upgrade gives us a backup belt as Im sure if one snaps it will still throw snow like the OEM design. I'll report back as to how difficult it was to install the upgrade kit. I hope the pulley bolts are not frozen in place. Seems when I hit the heavy slush from the town plow at the end of my driveway that's when the belt stretches and it stops throwing snow. Sure I had a spare belt when it snapped last week again, but it's never fun to change it at 10 degrees and windy when they snap! Clutching on and off will slow it down, but a $30 belt upgrade is cheaper than a clutch or transmission.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2013 by Expidia
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42