Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ready For The Big One on Long Island

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Ready For The Big One on Long Island
Original Message   Jan 21, 2005 6:02 pm
Just completed the 2 hour service on my Toro 828 LXE, and also switched it over to Mobil One 5W-30.   Even if we only get 7 or 8 inches of the white stuff, the winds will cause some high snow drifts.  I can't wait to really give this new machine a workout, especially since the snow plows are notorious around here for blocking driveways.  I actually think they get a kick out of it.  I also walked my driveway and walkway to make sure all newspapers and debris were picked up.   Good luck to everyone with this storm.

Richie
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Ready For The Big One on Long Island
Reply #3   Jan 21, 2005 6:30 pm
Dave___in___CT wrote:
Snowplows...

When I lived in a rural area...

My sons told me the plow drivers competed for how roadside mailboxes they took out ! 

Dave,

I never heard that one before.  Somehow it doesn't surprise me.  Our local news over here just announced a blizzard warning for all of Long Island.  They just raised the snowfall amounts to 12"-18"  That sounds like we'll have some serious snowdrifts.

Richie
18Degrees

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2005 6:33 pm
snowing right now.........hope we get more than the onesy twosey crap.

18 Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
patsfan

Reply #5   Jan 22, 2005 10:11 am
Dave___in___CT wrote:
Snowplows...

My sons told me the plow drivers competed for how roadside mailboxes they took out ! 

Enjoy !

Dave...

Dave, I used to lose our mailbox to the plows almost every winter. Then I put a pipe in the ground,with a smaller pipe inside it,with the mailbox mounted to the inside pipe. The O.D. of the inner pipe just fit the I.D. of the outer one. Now when the plows go by, the mailbox just spins. Now for a really BIG storm like the one they're talking about now, I just remove the inner pipe and mailbox and bing it on the porch until the storm's over and the plows have stopped. If the mounting pipe is buried in too much OED, I just shove the inner pipe into the snow bank so that the mailman can still reach it until I get around to clearing the pile.

formerly OT
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #6   Jan 22, 2005 10:39 am
patsfan...

Excellent mailbox setup !

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

18Degrees

Reply #7   Jan 22, 2005 1:05 pm
patsfan wrote:
 . The O.D. of the inner pipe just fit the I.D. of the outer one. Now when the plows go by, the mailbox just spins.

If the I.D.  is bigger than the O.D. ,is the hole on the outside of the pipe?                                    

18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
patsfan

Reply #8   Jan 22, 2005 1:25 pm
18Degrees wrote:
If the I.D.  is bigger than the O.D. ,is the hole on the outside of the pipe?                                    

18Degrees

huh!?

formerly OT
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #9   Jan 22, 2005 1:43 pm
Dave___in___CT wrote:
Snowplows...

Enjoy !

Dave...

On the county road where I live, we lost two or three mailboxes ...not due to a hit by a plow, but to the flying wall of snow/slush from the plow. We ended up doing what almost everyone out here does...put up a snow shield. Plant a couple of steel posts in front of the mailbox and secure to them a thick piece of plywood big enough for the mailbox to hide behind and paint your address number on it. No more worries. Got about 8-9 inches overnight, and the plows have been by at least three times so far.
 AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #10   Jan 22, 2005 2:36 pm
Its the Goes inta and the goes outa

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
18Degrees

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2005 2:39 pm
patsfan wrote:
  huh!?

the joke is lost if I need to explain it                                                        

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2005 6:35 pm
I was thinking of mounting my mailbox on a garage door spring. If you don't clear the snow enough by the mailbox and the mailman has a bug up his chute, you won't see any mail for days until you clean an area large enough so he doesn't have to get out of his truck.  We are new on our block and mail was not picked up or delivered so we went to the post office to receive a lecture on snow removal around the mail box. . Thing was we DID have it cleared out just as much as our neighbors but he chose to pick on us.

My sister  advised the lecturer that it was our fault as we probably did not give the mailman a big enough tip. We are from NJ and just moved to PA.  Some folks get funny about Out of Staters  sometimes. That IMHO.

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42